Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bone stock Z28, what should I do first?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 08:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bone stock Z28, what should I do first?

Hey guys, love the forum and the advice. You guys are a wealth of knowledge, I've been using the forum to troubleshoot little issues with my car and it's an invaluable resource.

Anyways, I've got a bone stock 2000 Z28 and I want to start doing a few small mods. I was looking at keeping the price tag under $1000 and hopefully being able to do the work myself, which kind of limits me to bolt ons.

I want to add a few hp without killing the reliability or gas mileage. I know that when adding any hp both reliability and mpg goes down a little but I was hoping I had some options that would keep that within reason.

I was thinking maybe a ls6 intake and flowmaster catback exhaust. Is there anything I should know about adding either of these? Anything else that needs to be upgraded when I do either one? I'm also a machinist and I was wondering if there was any way I could port my own throttle body without destroying it or if that's a good idea at all.

Thanks in advance for the advice, like I said, I've been using the forum for a while without posting and I really appreciate all the shared knowledge. So, thank you guys
Old 06-14-2011, 08:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Lid, LS6 intake and catback of whatever brand you can get for a good price.
Is it an auto or stick?
If auto what gears are in it? Also if auto (and it doesn't have 2.73 gears) put a nice, quality 34-3600 stall in it. Top it off with a mail order tune and you'll have a very fun car to drive.

Pick up things used (except for the converter) and you can save some cash.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:42 AM
Teching In

The car is an M6. Is there any specific lid or are they all pretty much the same?
Old 06-14-2011, 09:02 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The difference in lids is so minimal that it isn't worth putting much effort into. Find one that fits and looks good and roll with it. Get some drag radials and spend as much time at the drag strip as you can. Get all the seat time you can with the car stock on the drag radials. My 99 A4 2.73 gear Trans Am went from 13.90s to 13.30s with just an air lid, cutting the air box, trimming the EGR tube and lots and lots of seat time. Getting to know your car and what it likes will make all the difference in the world.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
The difference in lids is so minimal that it isn't worth putting much effort into. Find one that fits and looks good and roll with it. Get some drag radials and spend as much time at the drag strip as you can. Get all the seat time you can with the car stock on the drag radials. My 99 A4 2.73 gear Trans Am went from 13.90s to 13.30s with just an air lid, cutting the air box, trimming the EGR tube and lots and lots of seat time. Getting to know your car and what it likes will make all the difference in the world.

This.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Lid. Cut the airbox. Nice catback thats not a Flowmaster.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

$1000 wont give u much to work with, but i think these are worth consideration

yup LID is a definite must, about $99
free weight reduction, Free
free ram air mod, Free
egr mod, Free
DR's, i use nitto nt555r's, about $150 each
strut tower brace, about $100
manual cutout, about $30
LT Headers, $200-600
shorty ORY about $150

Thats what i can come up with a $1000 budget

I'd personally invest ina better catback imo, dont forget to save up for a tune too after u bought everything.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There are two conflicting schools of thought here -- you can add more power to the car or you could work to get the power you currently have to the ground.

If you'd prefer to add more power, here's a list of budget options: start with a lid, ported throttle body, Pacesetter LT headers + ORY, good used catback and a mail order tune.

The plan that will likely result in better ET's at the track focuses on putting the current power to the ground: lid, ported stock TB, weld-in subframe connectors (you'll thank yourself for this after it's done -- your quarter panels will appreciate it too) and drag radials.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:42 PM
TECH Regular

I have learned a lot about what mods are a waste and what work.
1st a lid, any brand is good. $90-100
2nd a short throw shifter handle, since you have a m6. You won't believe the difference.
3rd some good shocks. The stock one's suck. Bilsteins are good for stock ride height. Revalved or Koni's for lowering springs.
No 4- A catback exhaust or just have the stock system cut off and have a different muffler welded in.
No 5- Rear lower controls arms. Helps with traction and wheelhop.
No 6- Home port throttle body. Don't worry about screwing it up. Just go slow and take your time.
No 7- ls6 intake or BBK intake. There about the same price. The bbk you can port but there's the small issue with heat soak
No 8-Long tube headers are a great mod. Expensive for the good one's though. Living in Ca for me means stock headers. Smog *****.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lid 50-80$ used
Shifter 150$? Not sure what they run
Pacesetter lts with ory and a cutout 500$ this will come with plugs and extensions
Ls6 intake 280-340

That should be right at your budget.. if you have enough left over get frost to do a mail order tune, if not that would be my next mod.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SuperSport01
Lid. Cut the airbox. Nice catback thats not a Flowmaster.
What is meant by cutting the airbox?
Old 06-14-2011, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Opening up the inside of the airbox to allow more air flow. You'll need a dremel tool to do this. Do not put a flowmaster catback on it. If you like a very mellow sound, get a magnaflow. If you want a aggressive sound, get a GMMG, and if you want it to be loud, then the loudmouth is it. Most all lids flow the same, I have a SLP just because I like the way it looked and since it was smooth on both the inside and outside. Some other lids have a rougher finish on the inside, especially around the joints. You could also do the bumpstop mod to the throttle body. Basically they don't open a full 90 degrees from the factory. You can grind material off the bump stop in small increments until you reach 90 degrees. You have to use a voltmeter to and see what the voltage is at WOT. Once you reach a certain voltage, its time to stop. You'll have to do a search for a detailed write up.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:15 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by JaReD07
What is meant by cutting the airbox?
There you go my friend. Now you have a quick and gainful project for the weekend I knocked .1-.15 off the ET and gained 1-1.5mph consistently after this modification.

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...am_air_mod.htm
Old 06-14-2011, 08:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

My own question on this, I've heard manual/electric cut out, dealing with exhaust. Is this referring to cutting out the cat, or something else? Already have stock lid, does an aftermarket flow better since "all lids are about the same"?
Not to thread jack, but getting ready to start modding my own stock 99 WS6
Old 06-14-2011, 08:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Also, I just put in an MGW short throw shifter, best $219 I've spent yet. So much more fun to drive, and definitely quicker. I love it!
Old 06-14-2011, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JrodCamaro
My own question on this, I've heard manual/electric cut out, dealing with exhaust. Is this referring to cutting out the cat, or something else? Already have stock lid, does an aftermarket flow better since "all lids are about the same"?
Not to thread jack, but getting ready to start modding my own stock 99 WS6
All after market lips are about the same, stock lid =bad. A cut out "by passes" bascily the whole exhaust system
Old 06-14-2011, 10:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Not exactly following, if it "by passes" then whats the point of having one? Where does the cut out take place?
Old 06-14-2011, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not exactly following, if it "by passes" then whats the point of having one? Where does the cut out take place?
a cutout is usually placed in the intermediate pipe before the muffler.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:49 PM
TECH Regular

the cutout is usually installed somewhere between the y pipe and the muffler, allowing you to bypass the rest of the exhaust system. this equals more power typically, as well as the ability to **** everyone off within a quarter mile.

i've seen a handful of people run the factory catback,(to keep things quiet), then they just uncap the cutout at the track( wahla, no more exhaust restriction...)

tracking?
Old 06-14-2011, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeanPocket
$1000 wont give u much to work with, but i think these are worth consideration

yup LID is a definite must, about $99
free weight reduction, Free
free ram air mod, Free
egr mod, Free
DR's, i use nitto nt555r's, about $150 each
strut tower brace, about $100
manual cutout, about $30
LT Headers, $200-600
shorty ORY about $150

Thats what i can come up with a $1000 budget

I'd personally invest ina better catback imo, dont forget to save up for a tune too after u bought everything.

Seems like if there's a strict budget, the STB shouldn't be on this list. That's a 100 bucks that can go towards the tune after the LT's.

And FYI - I think you can get a STB from Founder's Performance for like 60.