Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding merge to Y, what outlet sizes for what I have planned?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 05:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Adding merge to Y, what outlet sizes for what I have planned?

New question: I've decided to have a shop modify my ORY with flowmaster or similar merge. I have a 3" ORY a 3" E-Cutout and am putting on a 3" Magnaflow quad tip catback. What outlet size should I have on the merge? I already have a 3" e-cutout. Is it worth it to get a 3" to 4" merge and a 4" cutout then neck down for the catback and sell my 3" e-cutout? If not, should I still get a 4" outlet on the merge and neck down to the 3" cutout I already have or just get a 3" outlet on the merge?

I'm going for the best/cleanest sound I can get through this catback. Rasp is the enemy and I'm wanting to avoid paying for high flow cats just yet.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Question: The previous owner picked out the ORY on my car and it's one with a bad merge. In fact, it's this one:

Which I believe is this one:

Now if I go with the Magnaflow catback I'm eying, I want a flowmaster merge put in (rasp is the enemy), probably a 3" to 3.5" since I already have a 3" e-cutout in the I-pipe.

Do you think it would cheaper to have a shop retrofit my ORY with a flowmaster merge or just build me whole ORY with the merge in it? I could probably sell the ORY I have if I go the second route, but not for much.

Last edited by RebelExtrm02; 11-30-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats one horrible merge. Definitely go with the FM merge.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its easier to modify it than start from scratch. I did it to my pacesetter ory with one $40 3'' u-bend,just cut, fit, and weld em to the FM merge.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by i6overboard
its easier to modify it than start from scratch. I did it to my pacesetter ory with one $40 3'' u-bend,just cut, fit, and weld em to the FM merge.
Same here, I have the Pacesseter ORY and FM merge but haven't installed it yet, What U-bend did you get and from where, how many degrees are those curves?
Old 11-30-2011, 03:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you dont wanna have to neck down from 3.5 to 3 at the I pipe you can get a magnaflow merge thats 3" in and 3" out thats stainless for less then 30 bucks.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:00 PM
TECH Regular

New question added to the OP: I've decided to have a shop modify my ORY with flowmaster or similar merge. I have a 3" ORY a 3" E-Cutout and am putting on a 3" Magnaflow quad tip catback. What outlet size should I have on the merge? I already have a 3" e-cutout. Is it worth it to get a 3" to 4" merge and a 4" cutout then neck down for the catback and sell my 3" e-cutout? If not, should I still get a 4" outlet on the merge and neck down to the 3" cutout I already have or just get a 3" outlet on the merge?
Old 11-30-2011, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Buy the Flowmaster merge and the mufflex 4" exhaust setup with the Magnaflow muffler.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:30 AM
TECH Resident

I did a 4" merge with a 4" cutout. Do you have to use a 3" cutout?
Old 12-01-2011, 07:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TImmy_Jones
Buy the Flowmaster merge and the mufflex 4" exhaust setup with the Magnaflow muffler.
I was gonna do that but couldn't afford the mufflex. I need to get 2 elbows, Any ideas of how many degrees of curve do I need to reconnect the Pacesetter Y pipe with the FM merge?
Old 12-01-2011, 08:38 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Steve Gunn
I did a 4" merge with a 4" cutout. Do you have to use a 3" cutout?
No I don't. That's why I was asking there was enough difference in sound and power to mess with selling my 3" and buying a 4" setup. Basically, will necking down before the cutout lose enough power and sound to be worth the extra $100 or so I'd be spending doing a trade up on the cutouts? The car is already pushing 414rwp and 407rwtq with the crappy exhaust on it now. Will the cutout size and location of the neckdown be enough to effect my sound and quarter mile time?

Quick Reply: Adding merge to Y, what outlet sizes for what I have planned?