Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need new motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 04:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Do I need new motor mounts

If I Take off in the car and give it the perfect amount of gas it I hear a loud POP POP POP POP POP. If i give it a lil more gas and get it revved up to about 1500 it takes off smooth. Sounds like it's coming from right under the dash or cab. What do you guys think? New motor mounts? It is a ms3 cammed car with stock mounts
Old 12-22-2011, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would start with the tranny mount,, jack the car up, put it on stands and check it, If you push up on the trans and see it go up the mount is broken. If it is broken, then your engine will move around on you. Hope this helps..
Old 12-23-2011, 09:48 AM
TECH Addict

same here lol when i drive it smoothly i wont hear those pops but when i get on it then brake hardly i can hear those pops. mine comes from under the dash on the driver side only...it comes and goes on idle only so am thinking mounts too...i regret not doing mounts with the long tubes
Old 12-24-2011, 12:02 AM
On The Tree

yeah well i bought my car with the headers already done and he didn't replace the motor mounts so i guess it will be up to me. i'll check the trans mount first and see if it needs to be replaced but i feel like i should at least put some poly mounts in for the motor.

another question. i'm pretty mechanically sound but i don't have access to a lift. how much trouble is changing the motor mounts or tranny mount? is it worth paying someone else to replace them?
Old 12-24-2011, 12:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

yes..yes.............and.......yes
Old 12-24-2011, 01:15 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ws6outlaw
yeah well i bought my car with the headers already done and he didn't replace the motor mounts so i guess it will be up to me. i'll check the trans mount first and see if it needs to be replaced but i feel like i should at least put some poly mounts in for the motor.

another question. i'm pretty mechanically sound but i don't have access to a lift. how much trouble is changing the motor mounts or tranny mount? is it worth paying someone else to replace them?
long at you have six ton jack stands for the front you can do them in about a day or two if your taking a **** pot of breaks. i broke a bolt off in my block cause an impatient friend removed the other mount while i was working on the other side. thus causing the motor to go backwards and putting things off center. and causing me to have to re thread the hole which turned into a night mare but its fine now.

long story short, do a side at a time and order the prothane motor mounts or you will be very very very ******* sorry, energy suspensions motor mounts are junk..... ask me how i know. but you can have it done in a weekend with a friend helping you and the right jack stands if you can do motor mounts on this car you will be able to do anything else on this car easily.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like a tranny mount to me
Old 12-24-2011, 11:23 AM
TECH Regular

Go poly motormounts. I regret the solid mounts every time I start the car up! Unless you are a hardcore drag racer, they are overkill and an annoyance.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

mine did the same knock from a stop and sure enough it was the tranny mount, too easy to fix. maybe 30 mins if your slow. but when you pull it off you will see one of the sides all torn and pull apart.

motor mount wise, from experience, as long as its a pretty mild cam like a 224 you should be good, but an MS3 would be worth doing motor mounts. find someone with a cherry picker (engine puller) and you can knock the job out in about 4 or 5 hours if you know what to do. but like the other guy said, do one side at a time, i dont trust too many people to do work on my car.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:36 AM
Teching In

Do a side at a time, take your time Be worth to just at least check both tranny and motor mounts...
Old 12-25-2011, 12:39 AM
On The Tree

theres a guy here in austin who will rent out his cherry picker, jack stands and tools out for $15 a day. seems like a deal to me maybe ill get some buddies together and tackle it pretty soon.
Old 12-25-2011, 02:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

I paid someone to do it. I'm all for working on my car myself but changing those mounts is such a PITA if you haven't done it before i just bit the bullet. Find someone who is willing to work on it and wont give up and buy cheapo rubber mounts. The place I paid to do it tried to get me to do that instead of putting in the prothane mounts and i wouldn't have it lol. I ended up paying $280 for mm and trans mount install. Good luck either way.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How's the vibration on the Prothane mounts contrasted to OEM rubber ones?

Quick Reply: Do I need new motor mounts