Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modified Intake Idea! Input welcome

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Modified Intake Idea! Input welcome

So Im currently waiting for a Wieand Lingenfelter intake to arrive at my house and I had and idea. Since the intake is aluminum has anyone tried cutting the 80 mm flange off and TIG welding on a 90mm opening? From the bit of research I have done it seems to me the intake flows about as well as the LS6 and they have had good luck putting the 90mm opening on them, but that is way way overpriced in my opinion.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by firemech21
So Im currently waiting for a Wieand Lingenfelter intake to arrive at my house and I had and idea. Since the intake is aluminum has anyone tried cutting the 80 mm flange off and TIG welding on a 90mm opening? From the bit of research I have done it seems to me the intake flows about as well as the LS6 and they have had good luck putting the 90mm opening on them, but that is way way overpriced in my opinion.
Sure it is possible to do that.Make sure who ever is welding does a nice job.Another idea would be to sell the weiand and get a 92 fast for about the same money or a T yphoon for the matter just not the Procomp kind..
Old 01-25-2012, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

To be honest there is no way i can get a PP intake for the price im getting this for. For $30 i can get the flange shipped to me and my welder can tig it on for another few bucks.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:54 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The throttle body opening size has very little to do with how well an intake manifold performs. That is dictated by the runner size and shape.

I think you will end up wasting your time, especially if you think it'll net you the performance of a FAST because you were able to mimic the throttle body size of one of their previous designs.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Cheaply cast aluminum can be very difficult to weld. It has too many air pockets.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So is anyone getting the concept im trying to get across. I am not by any means thinking im going to make something better than a fast intake. Im just thinking that with the intake I have coming that i could try and make something similar to this setup. Still stupidly over priced.

http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...egory_Code=C35
Old 01-25-2012, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can do it easily, but the gains will be very minimal and not worth the money.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:09 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by firemech21
So is anyone getting the concept im trying to get across. I am not by any means thinking im going to make something better than a fast intake. Im just thinking that with the intake I have coming that i could try and make something similar to this setup. Still stupidly over priced.

http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...egory_Code=C35
We get it...we are just telling you that it won't be worth the effort unless you just want something unique, which this would be. Not faster, just unique.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you should dyno the intake on your car first then Modify it and dyno agin. I think it's a cool idea. And if the welder is any good then welding on the intake will be no problem. I have tig welded investment cast patterns for years now in a foundry. We do mainly aluminum castings. And for your information most intakes are are made of 319 aluminum at least which welds very easily. Should be no problem
Old 01-25-2012, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree it should weld easy enough & give you a small increase in higher rpm range.Others will always disagree with spending money on a part & then modifying it for good reasons, but if you wanted that intake anyways, then the mod is no big deal in hot rodders terms.
I,m currently thinking about building my own cross ram intake on a budget, Which I posted a thread on in this section. It,s an ambitious nuts project , but that's what it takes to be different.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I think it's an awesome idea. These days most folks don't think like that anymore. If it isn't made at "the factory" it won't work, blah, blah..... These ideas take the hot rodder's mentality, that you don't always have to get things accomplished using your check book or credit card. I hope it works out, keep us posted.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by squirlNUTZ
I think you should dyno the intake on your car first then Modify it and dyno agin. I think it's a cool idea. And if the welder is any good then welding on the intake will be no problem. I have tig welded investment cast patterns for years now in a foundry. We do mainly aluminum castings. And for your information most intakes are are made of 319 aluminum at least which welds very easily. Should be no problem
I have welded cheap castings and nice castings. There is a huge difference when the heat of a TIG torch is applied. I don't know how this intake is cast, but cheaply cast is always a hurdle that may be run into.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sure do it, worst case it doesn't make what you want and you can sell it, FI guys would jump on it
Old 01-26-2012, 07:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think i will give it a shot. Im trying to get ahold of wieand to find exactly what the intake is made out of to make sure we can weld the parts together.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well after contacting Weiand the intake is cast from 319 aluminum, I already was able to get some 92mm I.D. 1/4" wall 6063-T6 aluminum pipe. All that I need now is for the flange to and intake to arrive in the mail.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't forget about the the throttle cable mount bracket, you'll need a mount for that too, and a 3/8" barbed or nippled tube on the same side .

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 01-26-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wouldnt it be easier to just machine the opening on the intake to 90mm?
Old 01-26-2012, 05:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't think the snout is large enough to do that.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It is probably a sand cast intake which is the cheapest old school casting process and it will weld just fine. Just make sure to keep it all square and and take your time making small tack welds to start with. Measure the intake before removing the flange and neck so you can place your new flange back in the same spot.
By the way, most cylinder heads are sand cast. Most intakes are sand cast. Look at Edlebrock. There foundry is in Arkansas i believe and they cast most if not all there products there with "green sand".
I'm sure what 01ssreda4 was meaning, by cheap castings but if it's 319 as I mentioned and you stated then there will be no issue of welding. The heat or temp of the metal is what makes the mold: the gating, down sprue or vents if needed: W work properly.
I can't wait to see pictures of the finished product. It's cool to see others making or moding parts like this
Old 01-27-2012, 05:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

squirlNUTZ - Thanks for the info, I did understand what you were meaning in the PM you sent me.

The snout on the intake wont be big enough, it was something I talked with weiand about yesturday on the phone. As for the 3/8" barbed fitting im running a custom catch can setup, so I can either drill & tap the snout for a fitting or run the hose up to the throttle body vent that I normally plug. Im trying to find a throttle cable bracket, but I can just fab that up in my garage and mount it on the bolts that will hold the throttle body on.

Quick Reply: Modified Intake Idea! Input welcome