Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally have an SS, I got questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 07:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally have an SS, I got questions

I bought the car on sunday and on my way home(two hour drive on the highway) the temperature gauge flucuated majorly anywhere between 210 to the mark between 210 and 260 which should be 235 i believe. The car still pulls and doesnt seem to have any lack of power when the gauge flies around but when I bought it the previous owner had 2 jugs of dex cool in the back, so that raised my eyebrows but it seems to run fine...is this normal? Also the aux fans stay on for about 5 minutes after the car has been shut off...is that normal too?
Old 06-07-2012, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like your thermostat could be giving you some problems.
Some possible simple fixes are thermostat, radiator cap, and hose routing. Check those out before you go replacing radiators and stuff.
You can find a Haynes Manual at AutoZone for around $20. That'll help with most things you'll ever have to do.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:14 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

If the fans are staying on THAT long after you shut her down, the car IS overheating. MrMixnMatch is right that you really need to replace that thermo and see if it's still doing it.

I've never known the stock temp gauge to fluctuate like that unless it's doing it's job.

The jugs of Dex are a dead giveaway as well.

It would be a good idea to let her idle in the driveway and see if there's a leak. Could be anything from the steam port / overflow hose swapped to a cracked radiator. Cracked rad won't show it's ugly head till it's hot and pressure has showed up in the system. MONITOR THE GAUGE while it's idleing
Old 06-07-2012, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Unless its a 98 he wouldn't really be able to judge the temps by the gauge would he? Since 99-02 have a dummy gauge
Old 06-07-2012, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also as you check everything out, be sure to check under the car. Make sure you have an air dam (long flat piece of plastic) ..
Old 06-07-2012, 08:40 PM
Launching!

Do a flush, and put the green stuff in. Change out the thermostat while your at it. Don't forget to flush the heater core. Check and smell the oil for signs of headgasket issues. Gd luck...
Old 06-07-2012, 08:49 PM
Teching In

Don't put green stuff in unless its entirely flushed out or you will end up with a congealed mess... Pressure test the system and look for leaks before you throw parts at it..
Old 06-07-2012, 09:26 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

It is a dummy gauge, but like I said, I've never seen one act squirrely unless there was a reason. It's obviously working due to the fact his fans are staying on after the car is shut down.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:57 PM
Teching In

ya I just drove it around after letting it warm up in the drive way, no leaks and it has all that air damn stuff you said up there ^^^ it didnt reach 235 this time but it is like 70 degrees right now so thats a fail :/. I'm really new to the LS1 since I had a 68 ss before hand so all these things are like @.@. I'm thinking I get it registered in my name first before I start stuff.