Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone have a CAI on a dd?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 06:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Default anyone have a CAI on a dd?

im just curious if it'd be worth it for me to get some sort of ram air intake on my car. it is my dd and will see some rain. anyone see any hp increases on a street car with one of these??
Old 07-18-2012, 06:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would just get a lid. You probably already have one since your sig says "bolt on." If not though def get a lid. I wouldn't spend the money on a CAI unless it was a nice one.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by metalmilitia606
I would just get a lid. You probably already have one since your sig says "bolt on." If not though def get a lid. I wouldn't spend the money on a CAI unless it was a nice one.
yea i already have a lid. if i were to get a cai it would be a SSRA intake that goes all the way down to the front bumper
Old 07-18-2012, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would get the SSRA over the other ram kits I've seen...

You can cut out a plate to cover the opening when it's raining...

Put the plate under the filter wher the opening is to protect engine from water getting in
Old 07-18-2012, 07:07 PM
TECH Addict

i thought about that. i was thinking that even if i did have it in the rain, how would water get all the way up to to the throttle body? i doubt that water would be able to go all the way up
Old 07-18-2012, 07:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ya would have to have your car sub merged! Lol... One ugly puddle can throw a good amount of water in there...

It's never happened to me but I've read threads about Hydrolock caused by ram air kits throwing water in the intake...

Read some threads about it
Old 07-18-2012, 07:24 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

OP, I run a chrs1313 non AC ram air kit. Its completely sealed from the bottom of the scoop all the way to the lid. The rain **** is ridiculous. Just yesterday I drove 168 miles from Fourchon (pronounced Foo-Shawn) Louisiana to Lafayette LA in an ungodly storm. I couldnt even go 40 miles an hour.

There's no plate needed for it or anything. You HAVE to seal the front of lid anyways to take advantage of the high pressure effect. The kit's track proven, and a breeze to install. Trust me, you can't go wrong with it.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

thanks for the insight. would you be able to get a pic of how you have the lid sealed to the kit? did you use silicone around it all?
Old 07-18-2012, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Weather striping on the opening... The lower tray needs to be sealed... Most kit include this strip to seal
Old 07-18-2012, 08:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

FYI, the SSRA has an opening right in the middle where the upper and lower piece fit around the metal support bars so I wouldn't worry about the water very much, and unless you seal it up with the rubber seal they supply with the kit you'll still be drawling air at the front of the air box. I like the SSRA it's a very durable quality piece.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:44 PM
TECH Addict

Awesome thanks guys. I'll do more research before I get one since it won't be for a little bit.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Theirs no way you'll suck water up 2ft into your TB.
And of course it will help with HP, more air=more power, especially along with all other exhaust bolt-ons.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by justin hover
Theirs no way you'll suck water up 2ft into your TB.
And of course it will help with HP, more air=more power, especially along with all other exhaust bolt-ons.
Thats what i was thinking, id have to try to get water up there. IF i were to get this id do it at the same time as an ls6 intake since i dont have one yet
Old 07-19-2012, 03:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've had the SLP "Ram Air" and now I have the Fast Toys Ram Air and there's no possible way to get water up there, I don't see how you could ever do it. I've never had any rain issues with mine. I would never spend the prices companies are asking for them though. I bought my SLP and Fast Toys in the classifieds
Old 07-19-2012, 03:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Mark you know how much I like the SSRA and I think you saw my thread with track gains. Well worth it imo BUT like I said before I wouldnt wanna chance it in the rain. Sure, iv been caught in massive rain storms with my cars with ssra and nothing happened but you dont wanna chance hydrolocking. Especially since you just put that motor in! My advice is the same is before...get a cheap *** beater car for commute and save the toy for when its nice out
Old 07-19-2012, 03:17 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Yep, despite all the assertions to the contrary, hydrolock has happened to guys running various forms of CAI's. There have been plenty of threads. I dd w/ a homemade CAI setup, but use blockoffs in heavy rain.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
Mark you know how much I like the SSRA and I think you saw my thread with track gains. Well worth it imo BUT like I said before I wouldnt wanna chance it in the rain. Sure, iv been caught in massive rain storms with my cars with ssra and nothing happened but you dont wanna chance hydrolocking. Especially since you just put that motor in! My advice is the same is before...get a cheap *** beater car for commute and save the toy for when its nice out
thats true. maybe ill just get one once i get another beater to be on the safe side. but i was thinking, since the ssra is a 2 piece what if i ran only the top half and put the bottom half in once ik its gunna be nice out a few days???

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Yep, despite all the assertions to the contrary, hydrolock has happened to guys running various forms of CAI's. There have been plenty of threads. I dd w/ a homemade CAI setup, but use blockoffs in heavy rain.
yea ik its happened but i find it hard that it wasnt some freak accident with a huge puddle. its not like the motor will suck in enough air to actually pull water up the 2 feet or how ever long the intake is.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe you could get the same benefits with a steak knife and some
weatherstripping.

The steak knife is for the foam that obstructs the "nostrils" in the
Camaro front bumper that feed into the space above the radiator
divider panel.

The weatherstripping is to make sure the airbox opening draws only
from that nose pocket and not a blend with the engine bay air. With
the nose pocket air path relieved, the air above the divider panel is
better than the air below, especially when you've been sitting.

The problem with IAT heat soak is related but has a better solution.

My cold air system has the SS hood and a hacked CAI that pulls from
above instead of below. Air temps are good. When the CAI was as-
original, it raised my air temps over where the SS hood had them.
The stainless SLP one is a bad idea except for its structural quality.
Thermal-wise it sucks.

I also do not shroud my radiator one bit.