Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misfiring and shaking whole car

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfiring and shaking whole car

I was driving earlier today when a nice Z-28 pulled up beside me. when the light turned green we took off. All was fine then i pulled into the parking lot where i was going and my car started misfiring and smoking really bad. So I went to O'Reilly Auto and got them to scan the OBDII for the codes it was throwing and i had random misfire detected, and bank 2 sensor 1 insufficient and bank 1 & 2 sensor 2 no data. The after cat o2's have been removed just not deleted the code yet. I changed the O2 sensor on the passenger side and its still misfiring. I handicapped it home from there and when i got up to about 55mph I shifted to 6th gear and it shook the car so violently that i spilt my drink out of the cup holder.

WTF is going on with this bitch??? please help.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:19 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Jeez man....sounded at first like you might have lost an 02 sensor and that will cause mifires and shaking...from running pig rich.

But it sounds like you might have one side not firing when that shaking happens.....

I would start the engine when its dead cold.....let it run for about 15 seconds. Then go feel each exhaust pipe coming out of the heads. See if any of them are totally cold to the touch.

Or use a good laser temp gauge.

Could be a loose ground....they can cause all kinds of crazy ****......

Old 08-28-2012, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

if the smoke was black then something is causing it to run rich.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

I know it's running rich because I haven't had a chance to get it retuned since header and ory install. There's no tuners where I live now. I did let it sit til cool for a couple of hours before I changed the passenger side O2 sensor but it did it again on the way home. I bought all new TR55 plugs that I'm putting in right now. The old plugs are fouled but not too bad. I'm hoping this isn't major. Thank y'all for the input it's greatly appreciated.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:22 AM
Staging Lane

Okay im lost now. I changed all the plugs some were fouled some weren't but now its smoking like crazy. And im talking alot of white smoke WTF did i break?
Old 08-29-2012, 11:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

"talking alot of white smoke WTF did i break?" A head gasket comes to mind. Check the radiator.....................
Old 08-29-2012, 11:44 AM
Staging Lane

There would be oil in the coolant if it was a head gasket right?
Old 08-29-2012, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

I never overheated the engine before so idk but the oil pressure stays at about 65-70 all the time so maybe that's a contributing factor.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:30 PM
TECH Resident

random misfire could be caused by a lot of things. You might have bent some pushrods in the race or broken a valve spring/ bent a valve etc...raise the hood and use a long screwdriver to put on the valve covers and listen for abnormal noise...
Old 08-29-2012, 11:53 PM
Staging Lane

Well it's not acting up at all now. I performed a block leak test on the cooling system and a lot of air came out of the radiator so maybe it was air. My neighbor who is a Ford service technician or like 35 years said it could have been that I sucked up some water or sediment when I launched the other day. But anyways it seems fine. I'll keep an eye it, but for now I needs fix this clutch chattering.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:52 PM
Staging Lane

It's misfiring again WTF! I have this little light doohickey that you stick on ur plug wire to see if it's firing and all lit up but the passenger side back plug but I'm not 100% sure cuz it's so had to see back there. I'm thinking I should swap #8 plug with one on bank 1 and try that. Then wires then swap coil packs around. Is that correct to find out y?
Old 08-30-2012, 12:58 PM
Staging Lane

your timing light could tell you wich cly isnt firing.. correctly or not at all. once you find wich one it is check the plug, then check the wire for resistance. you can also check your coil for resistance. Could be just as simple as a cam sensor going out or just a bad coil. even a bad ground could show up like that. but when you first sated your simptoms it sounded like a bent pushrod or broken rocker arm.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:00 PM
Staging Lane

Well I finally found the root cause of the misfiring. The #8 injector was clogged with a piece of black rubber. Where it came from idk. I've looked all let and can't find it. But I'm about to go get a new injector and should be fine.

Quick Reply: Misfiring and shaking whole car