Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

header/mm install, steering shaft problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 11:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default header/mm install, steering shaft problems

ok so I completed the dreaded header/mm install today, was able to do motor mounts without removing any accessories and with minimal problem (removed entire pedestal as many have suggested) but on the drivers side when I went to reinstall steering shaft linkage assembly that i removed completely to slide in drivers side header the shaft is hitting against the #1 primary and not allowing the linkage to be reinstalled correctly.

Ive read that you can move the entire steering column over to aid this? or is this only for lt1s? the primary is hitting the actual shaft, not any of the knuckles, i would need maybe 1/2 an inch to an inch

could i ground down shaft diameter? maybe aftermarket thinner steering shaft? thanks for the help in advance, only thing holding car back from being on road

Last edited by idlerelaxation; 02-14-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:50 PM
Launching!

If your talking about the front o2s you will need them they are for air/fuel measuring unless ur sd tuned.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:44 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by astro11271984
If your talking about the front o2s you will need them they are for air/fuel measuring unless ur sd tuned.
Thanks, that's what I figured

Any help with steering shaft anyone else? Can I move column over with the slotted holes like on lt1s?
Old 02-11-2013, 08:04 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the rack a factory ls1 rack?
Old 02-11-2013, 09:13 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by trans damm
Is the rack a factory ls1 rack?
yes, factory rack, can it be moved over or something?
Old 02-11-2013, 09:32 AM
Launching!

No. But I ask because the v6 rack moves the shaft closer to the headers.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:39 AM
Teching In

anyone know if i can move steering column over with the two slotted holes the people over on lt1 boards use?

or maybe steering linkage extensions? trying to avoid shaving the diamter of shaft down
Old 02-11-2013, 10:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by trans damm
No. But I ask because the v6 rack moves the shaft closer to the headers.
this might be the problem as the angle does seem a little too vertical, how could i tell if it is v6 rack or the correct v8 rack? if i posted a picture would you be able to tell me? any code i can look for? location? i know i can find which was supposed to come with it on door, but how would i know if its been replaced before?
Old 02-12-2013, 09:50 AM
Teching In

ok, so i am leaning towards the v6 rack idea since when i removed the pedestal for the drivers side motor mount, there was an area on the pedestal where you could tell that the steering shaft had been touching it as well as points on the shaft that showed rubbing problems against pedestal, i dont know for sure but I can imagine this is not normal at all, the steering also felt somewhat iffy before and im pretty sure i can attribute it to this rubbing between shaft and pedestal

here are some pictures of my current situation with header and shaft and pictures of rack

in this pic you can see the bottom of steering shaft and how it wont go in, the header blocks shaft from moving over enough to slide back in, this is with top of shaft secured on column

steering rack

can anyone identify it as v6 rack? ideas?
Old 02-12-2013, 01:16 PM
Launching!

I have a new one in the box but won't be by my garage till Friday to post a pic
Old 02-14-2013, 07:04 AM
On The Tree

The.angle between the two.racks is hard to notice without them being side by side. So if someone can tell from a picture id be surprised. There is a part number on the rack you can get and look up. I can't remember if you can see it or not.while its bolted in however. Ill check mine later
Old 02-14-2013, 09:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NicB
The.angle between the two.racks is hard to notice without them being side by side. So if someone can tell from a picture id be surprised. There is a part number on the rack you can get and look up. I can't remember if you can see it or not.while its bolted in however. Ill check mine later
the only part number i was able to see on rack was 26046359, which when searched on google returned a listing for a 1995 firebird steering rack, so i believe I might have the less angled rack in my car, which as you can tell would fix my problem with header/steering shaft if replaced with the more angled version

I am definitely not able to tell from pictures and looking at it in car, plus im pretty biased since it would fix my problem

if anyone has the more angled version for sale let me know, might aswell buy it and try it out

Last edited by idlerelaxation; 02-14-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:51 PM
Teching In

http://www.bildelsbasen.se/?link=item&post_id=21718867

that is the rack i find when i search the part number i got off my rack, which definitely looks like the less angled version, so for anyone with header clearance problems with steering shaft, check your steering rack!
Old 02-14-2013, 06:18 PM
TECH Junkie

You can tell from the black paint that it's a remanufactured/rebuilt rack.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:24 PM
Launching!

I bought mine from rack doctor. Going to install it tomm. I'll let you know results.

Quick Reply: header/mm install, steering shaft problems