Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with oil catch can install routing

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 08:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default help with oil catch can install routing

So I just installed a Norris catch can to help with the oil being sucked into my FAST 92. The valve covers I have do not have all those ports I see in the diagrams for hooking it up different ways. The driver side valve cover does not have a port to connect to it only has a hole towards the rear that has a plug in it so it is essentially capped off. The passenger side valve cover has no rear port only the front port to connect to.

The way I connected it was: passenger side front port with hose running to the top of the catch can, then the port on the side of the catch can running a hose to the intake port. The port on the throttle body is capped off and I do not have a LS6 valley cover so I do not have that port to connect to.

What can you guys tell me is it right how can I do it right if wrong? I've already read the 30 page thread on this while doing some research on this.

Help
Old 02-22-2013, 10:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I had a single can I had the rear of the driver cover connected to a pcv valve, then from the pcv valve to the top of the can.

Then from the side of the can connected to the bottom of the intake.

the front of the passenger valve cover was connected to the top of the throttle body.

I did make a port on the back of the passenger valve cover and connected the back of both covers together. I ended up sucking a ton of oil because the place to add a port on the back of the passenger cover could not be hidden behind the baffle like the driver rear cover. I could drill a hole and put a port behind the pass baffle but then there was no gaurentee on removing all metal chips so I ended up cappiong it off and routing it like I mentioned above in bold.

Here are pics of the port I added to the rear of the passenger cover and then capped off because it was doing more harm than good. Anytime I would launch hard it would throw the oil to the back and easily get sucked through because the hole is not hidden behind the baffle like a driver cover:

Old 02-23-2013, 09:08 AM
11 Second Club

So basically you're telling me I need to find a way to connect the driver rear hole to the top of the catch can, then connect the passenger front port to the throttle body which is currently capped off. the side of the catch can coould remain connected to the intake port.

Then I would need to find a fitting to install at the hole of the driver side valve cover that will allow a hose to connect to it. Then a 90 of some sort that would go at the rear of the passenger side rerouting the hose towards the front heading to the top of the catch can.

Only difference would be that I would now open up or include the driver side valve cover into the pcv system.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:00 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by conde'strans
So basically you're telling me I need to find a way to connect the driver rear hole to the top of the catch can, then connect the passenger front port to the throttle body which is currently capped off. the side of the catch can coould remain connected to the intake port.

Then I would need to find a fitting to install at the hole of the driver side valve cover that will allow a hose to connect to it. Then a 90 of some sort that would go at the rear of the passenger side rerouting the hose towards the front heading to the top of the catch can.

Only difference would be that I would now open up or include the driver side valve cover into the pcv system.
WTF! The Norris is not a plug and play?
Old 02-23-2013, 10:16 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by slow ride 02
WTF! The Norris is not a plug and play?
Maybe in a perfect world! There are tons of ways to connect them and with so many different setups just gotta figure it out! The car doesn't feel right after my catch can install so I'm gonna try the suggestion above.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:20 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by conde'strans
Maybe in a perfect world! There are tons of ways to connect them and with so many different setups just gotta figure it out! The car doesn't feel right after my catch can install so I'm gonna try the suggestion above.
Nice! My Norris will be here any day. I havent been driving the car, because I was waiting for the catch can. Oh well, keep us posted. BTW did you look into the Rev Xtream?
Old 02-23-2013, 11:44 AM
TECH Resident

Ok, I finally have some pics that may help. Didn't catch if you have perimeter bolt valve covers or center bolt ones but luckily I have pics of both. Center bolt covers should have a nipple at the back of the cover on the driver side to attach a hose to. On the perimeter bolt covers, there is a screw in nipple setup the screws in like an oil cap. Attach it there. Either way that rear connection is hidden behind a baffle so excess oil cannot get sucked through the system. That is why I aborted the one that I added in the previous pictures. Far the single can setup I did:

-rear of driver cover to pcv valve, then pcv valve to top of can.
-side of can goes to the lower port on the intake.
-front of passenger cover is connected to the top of throttle body (fresh air side)

Now for a dual can setup it is basically the same thing except when hooking the second can up, the front of the pass valve cover goes to the top of the can, and the side of the can goes to top of the throttle body. Keeping the routing I mentioned above for can 1. This is routed on a non LS6 valley cover.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:45 PM
11 Second Club

Great that pic does show me what I have to do! I'm gonna run a hose from that driver side rear hole of the valve cover all the way through the back of the intake then forward running to the top of the catch can. Then the front of the passenger valve cover connected to the throttle body port to act as the clean side.

Only thing I don't understand is the purpose of a pcv valve? Is it a must? If so, which one n where do I get it. My car is a 98 and it has center bolt valve covers.

Last edited by conde'strans; 02-23-2013 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Error
Old 02-23-2013, 04:28 PM
TECH Resident

Pcv valve pretty much regulates the flow of fumes to be reintroduced to the intake. There is a newer version of the valve that is pretty much an empty housing with something like a .100 sized hole through it. Commonly refered to as a truck pcv valve.

Since you are still running perimeter covers, tie the back of the driver and back of the passenger side cover together before it gets to the pcv valve, then from the pcv valve to the top of the can. You should still have the plastic pcv dual line setup on your 98. If you need pics, i may have an oncar pic, and i have the hoses in pieces in the basement since i am running aftermarket heads now.

Quick Reply: help with oil catch can install routing