Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ORY + QTP Header Options

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 05:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ORY + QTP Header Options

What are some great fittments on the QTP headers as far with the ORY pipe?? I'll be installing my LTs here soon and wanting to know the best fit? Currently looking at the TSP 3" ORY pipe...

How does it work if I go the custom route? Do I install the headers, drive the car with open headers to the shop and have the shop then custom make & install? Or should a shop know my fitment in the undercarriage so all I have to do is purchase and do the install?

I'll be adding a QTP 3" electronic cutout as well

Thanks!

Last edited by BAD2theBONE; 05-12-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:19 AM
Launching!

I went with a bolt on tsp ypipe and it lasted 3 months before it started leaking. If your going that route, I would weld it to prevent it from leaking. You can still keep it bolt on by buying exhaust flanges, that way you can just unbolt it if need too and still have a sealed y pipe. My 99ss was stock height with 17in zr1 and I scraped on every speed bump and it eventually caused leaks through the band clamps and through the ypipe. The shop should beable to mock up a custom ypipe, I got a custom true duel with xpipe, WAY!! Better than a ypipe, if you can do that I would go that route. Awesome power gains low torque over the ypipe.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

I love my full 3" off-road QTP Y-pipe. It's the only Y-pipe that already comes with a 4" flowmaster collector welded on. The only draw back is slightly less ground clearance but I've had no issues at all in the 7 years I've ran this exhaust and my car is not lowered.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:18 AM
On The Tree

Yeah I just installed Koni shocks & BMR springs which gave me 1.25" drop... I've been thinking about leaning towards X pipe & true duals... don't know anything about them or what setups at a decent price? Your average ORY will cost $150 plus a magnaflow catback adds another $550... name a true dual system worthy of that price and quality and I'm on it!
Old 05-13-2013, 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

if you are gonna be lowered, do not use the QTP y-pipe. you will not make it over anything with how low it sits on the drivers side. i have QTP longtubes and used to have their y-pipe, since then i hacked it up and use a Kooks drivers side pipe, Magnaflow cats and QTP cutout behind the merge.

here is what i mean by crappy clearence

this is with my front wheels on the side walk and my rear wheels at the bottom of my driveway, with a very light approach angle.

http://s1239.photobucket.com/user/tr...951a0.jpg.html

and this is after adapting the drivers side pipe from the Kooks system into my current QTP y-pipe.

i later added the Magnaflow spiral metallic high flow cats to the exhaust a few months after these pictures. i have more clearance now with the cats on then i did with the original QTP y-pipe.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:56 AM
On The Tree

Damn, how low is your ride sitting to begin with? I know mine is a lot higher than 4 fingers! Thanks for the input
Old 05-13-2013, 10:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is really low. LOL Grinding the floor.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

Right now I'm stuck between going with an ORY + catback or X pipe + TD

Quick Reply: ORY + QTP Header Options