Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*Getting rid of plastic sheild*

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 01:10 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *Getting rid of plastic sheild*

i was wondering if any of you guys have ever removed the plastic sheild underneath the car by the front bumper thats near the radiator. I waswanting to remove it for more airflow to the radiator. but it begans to get alittle tricky becasue there are the plastic bolts that are keeping it on the car and im really not too sure how to remove it without damaging some paint under there..im a baby to my car so i was wondering what tool i can use to remove it quickly and easily..(i didn't know where to put this so i put it in two sections)
Old 05-29-2004, 01:46 AM
TECH Regular

im pretty sure it would have the opposite affect, if you look carefully, its at an angle that it directs air up into the car. im no expert, so someone correct me if im wrong.
Old 05-29-2004, 02:04 AM
Staging Lane

If what you are removing is the deflector (black plastic piece hanging down) then i dont think that is a good idea cause your car would probably overheat without it.
Thats just what ive been told.
Old 05-29-2004, 03:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T-WrEcKzSiLv-RBiRdY
i was wondering if any of you guys have ever removed the plastic sheild underneath the car by the front bumper thats near the radiator. I waswanting to remove it for more airflow to the radiator. but it begans to get alittle tricky becasue there are the plastic bolts that are keeping it on the car and im really not too sure how to remove it without damaging some paint under there..im a baby to my car so i was wondering what tool i can use to remove it quickly and easily..(i didn't know where to put this so i put it in two sections)
Dont do it!!! Did it to mine and the car hasnt run the same since. It doesnt overheat but performance wise it hurt it. I just found it and Im putting it back in. Alot of peeps though cut the two flaps up top but thats all.
Old 05-29-2004, 04:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would also have to say DONT DO IT!!!! it is there for a very good reason
Old 05-29-2004, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

That actually creates an area of high pressure air in front of the radiator to force air up and through... then the resultant area of low pressure behind the front air dam (black plastic piece hangin down) allows all that air flowing through the radiator to be sucked back into the slipstream.
Old 05-30-2004, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Leave it on there.
Old 05-30-2004, 09:44 PM
TECH Junkie

i removed mine when i did my headers, and the car actually ran a bit warmer without it. replaced it and the car went back to normal
Old 05-30-2004, 09:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its made to keep the coolant temps lower and if u have the free ram air cut out it gives the motor more air and cooler air which means more power. why would u wanna take it off? it coudl also keep **** on the road from hitting your oil pan or something else
Old 05-31-2004, 08:27 PM
wrencher

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
its made to keep the coolant temps lower and if u have the free ram air cut out it gives the motor more air and cooler air which means more power. why would u wanna take it off? it coudl also keep **** on the road from hitting your oil pan or something else
Exactly the A/C condenser will get beat to death by road debris with out it.
Leave it there.....
Old 06-01-2004, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The 2 piece, black radiator shroud??? The thing you remove when you install the SSRA??? Like many people, Mine is gone with no adverse effects at all... I have a 160* stat with fans set for it (177* cruising temp). I guess if my condensor gets "beat to death", I'll just use a condensor comb to fix the bent fins like I do to AC condensors after washing them out .

I don't think it's a big deal at all, I would recommend any "ram air" setup regardless. Get a FTRA or FRA and leave it on. Get a SSRA and take it off.
BTW: Our cars also have small cams, crappy shocks weak 10 bolts, 180*stats, air baffles, etc... for a reason!
Over and out,
Kyle
Old 06-01-2004, 08:13 PM
Launching!

I took out mine on last two cars with no side effect. Maybe I should put it back!
Old 06-01-2004, 09:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't take it off!!
Old 06-01-2004, 10:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by skippytheloon
The 2 piece, black radiator shroud??? The thing you remove when you install the SSRA???...
ok, you and me are not talking about the same thing. i thought he meant the black "air dam" looking thing under the front spoiler, that pushes air up into the radiator. you're talking about hte radiator shroud. now i dont know which one the first post was talking about
Old 06-02-2004, 01:16 AM
TECH Resident

UH OH LOL yeah maybe a pic will help