Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help! LS6 intake and header/exhaust order

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 04:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help! LS6 intake and header/exhaust order

Hey, everybody! I am a second-time LS1 Camaro owner (2000 SS) and for the first time I will be making some engine and exhaust mods. I have an LS1 intake which I will be upgrading to an LS6, I will be getting long tubes, and a new exhaust overall. I am wondering which I should do first. Or more to the point, in any particular order? I will be putting in an SLP exhaust PowerFlo, with the 4" tips. Do I necessarily need to get a new Y pipe, because of the long tubes or the rear exhaust change?

I do know about the EGR change going from the 2000 LS1 intake to the 2002 LS6.

I will also be upgrading to 28# injectors which I inherited from a friend, and are practically new, and my current setup had almost 170k. I do know I will definitely need a tune, so installation order is very important, I would think.

The car is lowered, and wasn't done well, but will have Koni's and the BMR spring & lowering kit done before anything else.

Thanks so much for any help I can get on this! I am stuck without the knowledge needed to proceed any further with the exhaust.

Vince
Old 02-17-2015, 05:41 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

My thoughts - do them in the order in which they are easiest:

1. Do the intake. The 01 and 02 already had the LS6 intake, anyway, so it's a very non-invasive mod, and not very difficult to do once you get into it. I'm pretty sure the stock engine has 28# injectors. That's what my 99 came with. If you want a bonus, remove your stock PCV and put the LS6 PCV / valley cover in - it will clean up your engine bay a lot both in terms of oil getting everywhere and getting rid of some hoses. Once you have the intake off, it's 10 or 12 bolts to pull the cover.

2. Long tubes aren't bad to install in and of themselves, but there are other things to look at when you do them, so here goes. Yes, you will need a new Y-pipe. The stock one will not bolt up to LT's. The fact that the car is lowered will greatly impact your choice of headers. pacesetters tend to rub the body, but fit nice and tight and give you good clearance. Certain others will be very low and will scrape on snail shells. If you have the budget for it, Kooks are about the best headers. When you do the headers, you should consider doing poly motor mounts as well to minimize alot of exhaust to body contact.

3. At least you're doing this in the right order and not jumping straight to cam.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:08 AM
Teching In

Thank you so much for that information! Definitely gives me a place to start, and in will go the intake. And especially thanks for the LS6 PCV cover info. I am getting right on that. Really appreciated!
Old 02-18-2015, 01:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would do them in this order. LS6 intake, Poly mm's with LT's with an oryp with a 3" magnaflow bullet muffler welded to it, a 3" electric cutout into the stock catback, tune. Enjoy.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this somewhat ties into this posting - i'm looking to get shorties (staying legal in cali Lt's & huge power gains not on my list ever really) , high flow magnaflow cats & slp y pipe - already have a borla axle back (xr1 straight through muffler). would i yield say a good 10 to the wheels vs stock with the shorties, hi flows, y pipe & 3" straight through muffler? really looking just to pick up a bit more sound (not into straight pipies or cutouts - just a bit more growl), but a few hp/tq never hurt! anyone have a rough idea?
Old 02-18-2015, 02:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

I would do both at the same time even if it means buying the intake and then saving for the exhaust and waiting until you have both before you install them. Doing it this way you'll only have to tune it once instead of twice.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
I would do both at the same time even if it means buying the intake and then saving for the exhaust and waiting until you have both before you install them. Doing it this way you'll only have to tune it once instead of twice.
I have installed them both on all 4 cars I have owned and have driven tens of thousands of miles without any issues. The computer will compensate enough to keep it running fine until a tune is done. It did however perform noticeably better after the tune. Did it run lean before tuned, IDK, but I will say I wasn't getting any KR before when scanning it during WOT pulls. A little lean is ok, its KR that kills the engine.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CydeFX
Hey, everybody! I am a second-time LS1 Camaro owner (2000 SS) and for the first time I will be making some engine and exhaust mods. I have an LS1 intake which I will be upgrading to an LS6, I will be getting long tubes, and a new exhaust overall. I am wondering which I should do first. Or more to the point, in any particular order? I will be putting in an SLP exhaust PowerFlo, with the 4" tips. Do I necessarily need to get a new Y pipe, because of the long tubes or the rear exhaust change?

I do know about the EGR change going from the 2000 LS1 intake to the 2002 LS6.

I will also be upgrading to 28# injectors which I inherited from a friend, and are practically new, and my current setup had almost 170k. I do know I will definitely need a tune, so installation order is very important, I would think.

The car is lowered, and wasn't done well, but will have Koni's and the BMR spring & lowering kit done before anything else.

Thanks so much for any help I can get on this! I am stuck without the knowledge needed to proceed any further with the exhaust.

Vince
I got a brand new headers off road and cat back for ya
Old 02-18-2015, 11:39 PM
12 Second Club

Im lowered and have hooker long tubes. Tucks great with plenty of room. I just had to hammer the firewall a tad.

I say get the intake first. Then invest in the headers and true duals. But as stated above don't skip out like i did and not get new motor mounts. Its also a goos idea to change out plugs and wires. Make sure to use gm gaskets.

Quick Reply: Please help! LS6 intake and header/exhaust order