Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Info on these tunable runners... How does it work?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 07:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb Info on these tunable runners... How does it work?

Came across this article a while ago and recently purchased a FAST 102 LS1/LS6 and I'm porting it myself. Shaving down the runners and what not. Here's the article - http://bangshift.com/general-news/ne...ke-combo-grow/.

How do these new runners work? I'm trying to understand what is going on specifically when you change to the different runner (standard, medium and race).
Old 11-16-2015, 10:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The way I understand it is the short (race) runners are pretty much straight into the intake ports of the head, and you'll see gains in the upper RPM range with them. They are kind of like what you'd get out of a single plane intake. The medium runners are probably what you're looking for. You'll see more gains up top, but won't loose a lot of under the curve power.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts

If/When these ever become
Available just like the article/add
Says, you can change the runners as your combo or
Track/Street situation changes.

These runners have been
Promised/Late! For at least!
6-9 Months depending on
Port Shape!
Old 11-16-2015, 10:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard they are holding off on that project for now. But I've heard of people cutting and shaping them there selves. But it basically turns the power band up depending on the shape and length of the runners.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:10 AM
11 Second Club

I talked to Tyler Edgar at FAST today. He said the medium ones for the LS1/6 are going to be available this February
Old 11-16-2015, 10:13 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
The way I understand it is the short (race) runners are pretty much straight into the intake ports of the head, and you'll see gains in the upper RPM range with them. They are kind of like what you'd get out of a single plane intake. The medium runners are probably what you're looking for. You'll see more gains up top, but won't loose a lot of under the curve power.
Yea I got all that but what makes the output in HP higher with the shorter runners? Less restriction of airflow to the cylinder heads?
Old 11-16-2015, 10:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by scotty2000ss
Yea I got all that but what makes the output in HP higher with the shorter runners? Less restriction of airflow to the cylinder heads?
Because the runner is straight up and down; straight shot into the heads.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:19 AM
11 Second Club

Because the runner is straight up and down; straight shot into the heads.
Makes sense.

So what causes the loss in torque and shifting of the powerband with the race runners?
Old 11-16-2015, 10:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Because of the straight shot into the heads. I guess the longer curved shape is more conducive for making torque and power lower in the RPM band.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:48 AM
TECH Resident

I talked to Tyler Edgar at FAST today. He said the medium ones for the LS1/6 are going to be available this February
Well that's good news!
Old 11-16-2015, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by sillysspeed
Well that's good news!
Not sure what the hold up is.
Old 11-16-2015, 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

Not sure what the hold up is.
Yea really... They introduced them a year ago. I know they did it around the time msd introduced their manifold. Don't know if that had anything to do with it. Either way it shouldn't take a year + to get some pieces of plastic to the market
Old 11-22-2015, 06:14 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

The fact they arent available yet, would lead you to think they dont really work.

I'm sure if they could market the intake with that clear cover though, it would sell ! lol
Old 11-22-2015, 08:10 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
The fact they arent available yet, would lead you to think they dont really work.

I'm sure if they could market the intake with that clear cover though, it would sell ! lol
I bet your right. You'd think with 3D printing it wouldn't take long to finalize the design.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sillysspeed
Yea really... They introduced them a year ago. I know they did it around the time msd introduced their manifold. Don't know if that had anything to do with it. Either way it shouldn't take a year + to get some pieces of plastic to the market
Just like a bigger hunk of plastic shouldn't have a $1k price tag
Old 11-22-2015, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Maybe if the claim is "XX horsepower gains!" then they have to do a lot of computational fluid dynamics to get the shape just right. And/or real world testing after they make a new shape. And then maybe CA CARB certification? It's not "just plastic" there is a lot of R&D time put into this stuff.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:38 PM
TECH Resident

Of course there is more to it than just a piece of plastic. And I'm also sure when FAST designed the 102 they tried all different length runners. They had this idea in their back pocket for a long time now. What is the real reason they have delayed?...
Old 11-23-2015, 03:58 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

They are just bits of plastic, they're just small alterations to an existing manifold from what it appears.

All they needed to do is make them which they already appear to have done, stick them on some engines or give them to suitable companies willing to test them and get feedback as t how they perform.

It really isnt difficult.

But the more and more I search, the more it seems that the long runners simply work and really offer minimal restriction even right at the top end. They help make power/torque everywhere vs short runners except perhaps above 7, 7500rpm etc.

So for 99% of users is the tradeoff worth it ? Maybe lack of the short runners going into production is because of that very thing ?

Even the new crossram from Edelbrock etc...they're talking about long 13" runners not short runners.
Likewise the Vararam if it ever gets going. Long runners seem to just seem to be the way forward.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:36 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
They are just bits of plastic, they're just small alterations to an existing manifold from what it appears.

All they needed to do is make them which they already appear to have done, stick them on some engines or give them to suitable companies willing to test them and get feedback as t how they perform.

It really isnt difficult.

But the more and more I search, the more it seems that the long runners simply work and really offer minimal restriction even right at the top end. They help make power/torque everywhere vs short runners except perhaps above 7, 7500rpm etc.

So for 99% of users is the tradeoff worth it ? Maybe lack of the short runners going into production is because of that very thing ?

Even the new crossram from Edelbrock etc...they're talking about long 13" runners not short runners.
Likewise the Vararam if it ever gets going. Long runners seem to just seem to be the way forward.

You make a very good point.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:48 AM
On The Tree

Has nothing to do with restriction, cross section, straight, curved, etc.. The intake runner "length" dictates rpm range.

Quick Reply: Info on these tunable runners... How does it work?