Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about Extending Exhaust Under Axle

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 10:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Extending Exhaust Under Axle

Hello everyone, I recently installed my TSP 1 7/8" LT's with the TSP Rumbler Dual exhaust set up. First things first, it sounds great! Can definitely tell the power difference. However, I am wanting to extend the exhaust out the back to get the more of the noise into the environment and not in to my interior. I have seen pictures of people going under the axle but I am concerned about how much space you need to give the axle so that it doesn't hit the exhaust when going over a bump. Anyone with under the axle exhaust experience I would love to hear your input! Thanks everyone.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:19 PM
Launching!

Finally was able to find a bit of information on this. I might go a different direction and do over the axle. It will be more expensive but I think better in the long run. I'm lowered though, is there a kit to relocate the panhard bar for a lowered vehicle?

Last edited by Powers00SS; 01-11-2016 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:59 PM
Staging Lane

I had Texas Speed true duals that were modified to run under the axle and I ended up changing setups completely. Ground clearance wasn't great under the axle, although I never had problems going over small/reasonable sized speed bumps. I'm now working on a 4" single system.

If you go over the axle there is panhard bar relocation set-ups out there. That's how kooks true duals fit over the axle.

Honestly though, on my car with a decent size cam, running the exhaust out the back didn't do much for in cabin noise or fumes.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by loser98

Honestly though, on my car with a decent size cam, running the exhaust out the back didn't do much for in cabin noise or fumes.
This! On ANY car I think. Get the exhaust out the back but it's hard to outrun the sound and at a stop sign or the staging lanes you smell the fumes. Its a Hot Rod, stop whining!!

UMI has some great products for your car, I run them on EVERY piece of Suspension under my car. Plus they are red, matches my car!

Chad
Old 01-14-2016, 01:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Powers00SS
Hello everyone, I recently installed my TSP 1 7/8" LT's with the TSP Rumbler Dual exhaust set up. First things first, it sounds great! Can definitely tell the power difference. However, I am wanting to extend the exhaust out the back to get the more of the noise into the environment and not in to my interior. I have seen pictures of people going under the axle but I am concerned about how much space you need to give the axle so that it doesn't hit the exhaust when going over a bump. Anyone with under the axle exhaust experience I would love to hear your input! Thanks everyone.
I have done this before and the sound went from deep and rasp free to raspy as hell. Sounded like crap, like an old pickup with glasspacks. So bad I was embarrassed to take off from a stop.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:00 PM
Staging Lane

I didn't like the way the tsp true duals sounded at all with the dynomax bullets, I switched to spintech pro-street and it sounded 100x better but I was still fighting ground clearance issues.

I would recommend just changing mufflers first if it's too loud inside, getting the exhaust run out the back is expensive and might bang/hit stuff as it's hard to fit big pipes over or under the axle.

There's lots of mufflers out there and it'd be easier and cheaper than modifying the whole back end of the system.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As others have said , clearance will be an issue
Old 01-14-2016, 09:09 PM
Launching!

I should specify that I don't mind the noise so much as the drone that is entering the cabin and if I extend the exhaust it will give me room to put in an exhaust resonator tube to cancel out the drone! Also I think a couple shiny pipes out the back would look nice haha. Thanks for all the advice by the way.

Originally Posted by loser98
I didn't like the way the tsp true duals sounded at all with the dynomax bullets, I switched to spintech pro-street and it sounded 100x better but I was still fighting ground clearance issues.
Loser98 do you have any sound clips or vids of what your car sounds like with the new mufflers? I like the way my car sounds now but i'm not in love with it so much that I would be against changing mufflers haha.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Are talking about making a closed loop with E cutouts ?
Old 01-14-2016, 09:20 PM
Launching!

Default Question about Extending Exhaust Under Axle

Originally Posted by omc8
Are talking about making a closed loop with E cutouts ?
No electric cutouts, just a sealed length of pipe that runs in front of your mufflers, length depends on what rpm range your drone is at.

http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...-drone-489463/

http://forums.corral.net/forums/gene...tely-gone.html

Edit: I just found a video of a man who installed these onto the end of electric cut outs so he could have the loud exhaust when he wanted or quiet for cruising

Last edited by Powers00SS; 01-15-2016 at 12:16 AM.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:36 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Powers00SS
Loser98 do you have any sound clips or vids of what your car sounds like with the new mufflers? I like the way my car sounds now but i'm not in love with it so much that I would be against changing mufflers haha.
No I don't unfortunately, the car is in storage for the winter or I would get one for you right now.

Resonators don't really do much in all honesty, it sounds to me like you need to change mufflers and go from there. It's gonna smell like raw exhaust at long red lights even if you run the exhaust out the back. I've had 4 exhaust setups and I like the spintech mufflers the best, they are loud though.

Big thing to realize is that these cars were not designed to have true duals.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The best thing to do is have you some turndowns made with a little bit of length to them angled outwards at 45*. This made a HUGE difference on my duals as far as inside noise and drone.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:23 AM
Staging Lane

Yes if you have the tips pointing straight down to the ground that will cause a lot of drone in the cabin.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you planning on going over the axle on both sides or just the passenger?

I've got mine running down both sides with bullets in front of the axle and spintech pro streets after. I think I have better ground clearance now than with any cat back setup I've had.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, and it made a huge difference with the fumes when I ran it out the back.

Quick Reply: Question about Extending Exhaust Under Axle