Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Im tired of being told "duals arent for an Fbody"!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 05:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Im tired of being told "duals arent for an Fbody"!!!

Well as you guys know I just got the Kooks installed so Ive been checking around with all the local shops on an estimate for an Xpipe with FM 40 series muffs. Constantly I have been told:

-"Fbodys are designed for alot of back pressure, you would only loose HP"
-"We cant do it here it would destroy all of your ground clearence"
-"There isnt enough room under the car"
-"What you need is a Ypipe with a flowmaster 80 series, its the only one for your car" (thats what I have now and I do not want that back on there)

I have not found one damn shop yet who will do this for me. THIS BULLSH*T IS PISSING ME OFF! If they say our cars cannot support an Xpipe system then how in the hell do 25% of the members on this board have such an "impossible" settup (I ask them). Damn even Summit SELLS an American thunder exhaust design to fit these cars!

What do you guys suggest, Ive been to all the credible shops here in El Paso.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:38 PM
On The Tree

I am sure you have seen this, but texas Speed just introduced a true dual system for our cars. You can buy the system and just install different mufflers. There are also some websites that sell x pipes for our cars around here. Hope some of this helped maybe
Old 06-16-2004, 05:43 PM
11 Second Club

Next time ask them why Corvettes have dual exaust if F-bodies aren't designed for it. It sounds like you need a bolt in system like the Rumbler X mentioned above.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dude, I am going throught the same **** here in Jersey. I actually got a quote from Kooks and it was 1400 so I think I am going with the Rumbler and have tail pipes run under the axle. Lane's also make good systems and he is in Texas. I don't know how close you are though. Good Luck.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

The only trouble you will have with a dual exhaust setup is choosing a muffler you can live with everyday. Your buggest challenge will be finding a place to put two huge Flowmaster mufflers. Bullets or Magnapacks are easyto fit.

You are wasting your time going to local exhaust shops. You need to just order one from either Lane or Texas-Speed, cuz local shops will just screw it up and 99% of exhaust don't have the equipment for mandrel bends.

I have one from Lanes and it is pretty decent. I had a local shop modify it slightly to get it to fit right, but that only cost me $25.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are the bullets that bad/loud of a muffler
Old 06-17-2004, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Loud ... Yes
Bad ... No

The DynoMax Bullet is a very good RACE muffler, but doesn't do much for quieting things down. Magnaflow Magnapacks will do a better job of quieting the dual exhaust down, but don't fit quite as well.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NOBR8KSS
Loud ... Yes
Bad ... No

The DynoMax Bullet is a very good RACE muffler, but doesn't do much for quieting things down.
Agreed. The Dynomax bullets flow great and are very compact, but they won't quiet the exhaust much. It will be very loud, especially without cats, so be darn sure you can live with very loud before going with bullets.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:28 AM
Launching!

y not put on some xr-1 borla mufflers?
Old 06-17-2004, 11:43 AM
TECH Resident

Summit p/n FLO-325508, 3" thick 2-chamber Flows. These are thinner than a bullet muffler by 1". Should be able to work without any clearance problems. Mike94ZLT1 used these and says there are no problems. I'm going to be running Spintech 4x6" mufflers, but I have additional clearance with the 28" tires. Might be modding my floorboard too, depending.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ineedatruck
y not put on some xr-1 borla mufflers?
Borla XR-1's are awesome mufflers... Just take a little floorboard modding to tuck them up nicely.. I haven't tucked mine yet, but I plan too..
Old 06-17-2004, 12:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you tried DC motorsports in EL Paso?

Speak to Cliff, I think he can get you squared away.

I also have a collection of pics if you want, so you can show the installer and he knows what to shoot for.

Send me a PM if your interested.

Frank
Old 06-17-2004, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

FM 40 series muffs..skip those get the 10 series 1 chambers...more sound, flows well, smaller more compact.

-"Fbodys are designed for alot of back pressure, you would only loose HP"...to make power its a simple concept...get more in, get more exhaust out...thats just how **** works when you are dealing with air, fuel and a spark...too large diameter x pipe on stock cubes could hurt though...
-"We cant do it here it would destroy all of your ground clearence"...you will lose alittle bit if not properly done. However you lose ground clearance with lt's slightly anyhow...so who ******* cares...just know large speed bumps will be difficult....i never went over speed bumps if i didnt have to anyhow...
-"There isnt enough room under the car"..nothing the BFH mod can't handle
-"What you need is a Ypipe with a flowmaster 80 series, its the only one for your car"...tell them "and what you need is someone to tie a rope around your neck and back up their truck to pull your head outta your ***"...too bad its pretty normal for shops to buy into the misconception that flowmaster does anything more than give someone a head ache from the fake sounding exhaust note.

in all, to make true duals...do yourself a favor and learn from me..i went to one of these shops you have detailed above...and it got fucked the hell out. Looks like i have to either cut the entire **** out and start all over again...which this time ill just ******* buy the rumber x system...which i shoulda done in the first place.

Best of luck man...just don't be gullable and stupid like i was trying to save a dollar or two...now its gonna cost me twice that much.
Old 06-17-2004, 02:30 PM
12 Second Club

Here is a slick setup I saw!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Im tired of being told "duals arent for an Fbody"!!!-dsc00734.jpg  
Old 06-17-2004, 02:41 PM
12 Second Club

!AIR

It looks so much better with out all the AIR junk.

True duals

Old 06-17-2004, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Birdie2000
Summit p/n FLO-325508, 3" thick 2-chamber Flows. These are thinner than a bullet muffler by 1". Should be able to work without any clearance problems. Mike94ZLT1 used these and says there are no problems. I'm going to be running Spintech 4x6" mufflers, but I have additional clearance with the 28" tires. Might be modding my floorboard too, depending.

Yeah, I love these mufflers. I've had 4 people in the car and to this day I STILL have not scraped. Jim these are nothing like the ones I had on my old convertible you saw. Those were regular 40 series thes are much nicer. I highly recommend them.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:37 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, after you posted the part number I was surprised to find all of the Flowmaster mufflers that I had no idea existed. The 3" thick thing sounds pretty cool. Glad to hear they're workin out for you. Do you have any pics w/ the new mufflers? The last I saw was when it was running out the back.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:48 PM
TECH Addict

10 series Flowmasters are great sounding if the cops dont give you a hard time about noise....
Old 06-17-2004, 10:59 PM

The 10 series one chambers are LOUD! Mine aer 3.5" thick because I have 3" in and outs. But it sounds sooooooo good
Old 09-23-2004, 09:30 PM
Banned

Heres pics of my set up.