Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Updating a 2002 ls1 pcv system for road racing...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 05:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Updating a 2002 ls1 pcv system for road racing...

I know this topic has been beaten to death but i cant really find info as it pertains to road racing. Long times at high rpms my ls1 HUFFS oil. ALmost been black flagged once lol.

I've updated to a small orifice pcv and Norris catch can but that had no noticable effect. Now im installing the LS6 valley cover with integrated pcv. I also have a pair of late model valve covers that dont have any ports on them that GM supposedly released to help with oil consumption.
BUT now i just found some road racers saying that a single catch can with 3/8 hosing just doesnt have the flow to get the crackcase pressures down and they were popping crankshaft seals. AND they're capping the port on the ls6 Valley cover.

What gives? Seems the early ls pcv and oiling system is riddled with problems if you plan on tracking the car. Is there a consensus on the best pcv system to run now?
Old 06-03-2016, 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed a super nice catch can on my car with a few 90 degree elbows. It worked REALLY well. I don't road race but man my car sees some high RPM. Pretty sure it was a mustang catch can system
Old 06-03-2016, 06:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ask this same question over on frrax.com in the engine forum.

Everyone on there has much more experience with extended time at high revs for longer periods of time than 8-12 seconds.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cool breeze
I know this topic has been beaten to death but i cant really find info as it pertains to road racing. Long times at high rpms my ls1 HUFFS oil. ALmost been black flagged once lol.

I've updated to a small orifice pcv and Norris catch can but that had no noticable effect. Now im installing the LS6 valley cover with integrated pcv. I also have a pair of late model valve covers that dont have any ports on them that GM supposedly released to help with oil consumption.
BUT now i just found some road racers saying that a single catch can with 3/8 hosing just doesnt have the flow to get the crackcase pressures down and they were popping crankshaft seals. AND they're capping the port on the ls6 Valley cover.

What gives? Seems the early ls pcv and oiling system is riddled with problems if you plan on tracking the car. Is there a consensus on the best pcv system to run now?
LS6 valley cover (12577927) fixed all my problems. when i just had a catch can, it would fill up in no time and blow smoke again. now with the LS6 cover and catch can, no more smoke. you can also get a O.E. GM oil fill cap that has a pressure release.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Ask this same question over on frrax.com in the engine forum.

Everyone on there has much more experience with extended time at high revs for longer periods of time than 8-12 seconds.
I tried to join but says they arent taking any more members. And cant see the engine forum so...

Originally Posted by bigsticksupra
LS6 valley cover (12577927) fixed all my problems. when i just had a catch can, it would fill up in no time and blow smoke again. now with the LS6 cover and catch can, no more smoke. you can also get a O.E. GM oil fill cap that has a pressure release.
Hmm ill look into the cap. I looked at my buds stock '04 zo6 setup that had very little oil consumption when he tracked it for a year; ls6 valley and valve covers with fresh air on from the tb and dirty to the IM, no external pcv. Im going to use this setup and my catch can. Ill post my results
Old 06-06-2016, 12:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

the oil cap is P/N 12589430.

"this is copied from a TSB (Document ID# 1656273) for 2005 GTO's - apparently the PCV systems freeze on these car. The vented oil fill cap will regulate the crankcase pressure between 15 kPa and 18 kPa. This will prevent the over pressurization of the crankcase under the freezing conditions of the PCV system. Once the PCV system thaws out, the crankcase gases will pass through the PCV system and normal crankcase pressure will be restored."
Old 06-06-2016, 12:49 AM
Staging Lane

thanks!
Old 06-07-2016, 06:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just a thought, but are you sure this is not really
the COT (cat overtemp protection) kicking in and
dumping fuel (black) rather than some sudden oil
uptake increase (gray)? Because COT responds to
time-at-load while why would oil (other than it
ponding up in the heads, which might want drain
passage relief more than PCV system mods)?
Old 06-10-2016, 12:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

You really need two catch cans. LS6 valley cover to catch can to intake. Put a second catch can in the clean air line in between throttle body and valve cover. You won't get any oil in the intake. LS motors pool oil in the heads on track. Most track guys go a quart over full so there's a lot of oil in the top end in a long sweeper. It can pull it through the clean side of the pcv system.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cool breeze

You're not gonna want to hear this, but every time we used the ls6 style port in valley cover we ran higher pressures than with earlier version. Have a lot of road course drive time.

We have best venting with pcv valve in rear ds cover grommet. Check valve vented catch can. In line fuel filter between fresh air source & ps vc inlet nipple. Use a second in line fuel filter between can & manifold nipple. Also, instead of capping off ls6 vc nipple we use it as an additional vent. Will need a check valve to let pressure out & no air in.

Check valves can be any one way valve...pcv type, brake vacuum boost type, etc..

Quick Reply: Updating a 2002 ls1 pcv system for road racing...