Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Duals on Stock Internal Motor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 06:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True Duals on Stock Internal Motor?

I've talked to some of the race shops listed to the right, and I've had some conflicting responses. For now, I will be running a stock internal motor. In the next six months there are plans for Stg2 or Stg2.5 heads, with a medium to aggressive cam(ranging from a tsp 231/237 to a t-rex or g5x3). Eventually this motor will be a 383 stroker with a procharger on top of it, but for now I am going to be perfectly content with a H/C car. My question is, considering my plans, is there anything wrong with running lt's with a true dual exhaust on a stock internal motor? Any loss in bottom end torque or anything? I hate to sound like a noobie, but hearing that from a good race shop makes me stop and wonder. Thanks for any replies in advance!
Old 06-23-2004, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

on stock cubes you might benefit down low more by going with 2.5 inch pipes. dude this shop you are talking about needs to stand on chairs and have someone pull their heads out of their asses...Mustangs have far fewer cubes and the typical upgrade is headers 2.5 inch off road mid pipe and a catback..all true duals.

with dumps and 3 inch pipe you may lose some low end power, but the upper rpm power is more than worth it, as well as the sound. It took me 8 tries to figure out what kind of sound i wanted, when all along i should have gone with my gut instinct and got true duals.

im running 2.5 inch piping with 18inch bullet mufflers dumped at the axle. Its pretty loud when reving up, especially up top, but the power is great. The sound is superb and ill take some exhaust/noise violation tickets for it if need be. I love the sound that much.

With your plans id go with tsp's rumbler x. if its tooloud for you, go with some different mufflers such as the borlas which seem to be popular.

to answer your question frankly, on a stock internal motor, yes it worth it. Period!
Travis
Old 06-23-2004, 07:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

hahaha my name is travis too.

thats what i thought. and i'm not really looking for all that much low end anyhow. this car will prolly see the strip 5-6x a year if she's lucky, but street comp is a different story. thats a daily thing. i've thought about the tsp td setup, along with pacesetter's new lt's. i think that would suffice. if its too loud i'll slap some sweet thunder chambered mufflers on there and call it a day.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
hahaha my name is travis too.

thats what i thought. and i'm not really looking for all that much low end anyhow. this car will prolly see the strip 5-6x a year if she's lucky, but street comp is a different story. thats a daily thing. i've thought about the tsp td setup, along with pacesetter's new lt's. i think that would suffice. if its too loud i'll slap some sweet thunder chambered mufflers on there and call it a day.

watch out for them sweet chambers, i think they sound louder than the bullets. but thats not from a personal experience just from listening to that set up on the net.

I have pacesetters, 2.5 inch x pipe and bullets, and it just sounds wicked. I love it. its music to my ears, and it passed the girlfriend test. as she put it, "that thing is loud as **** when you are behind it, but its not obnoxious, it sounds sweet" there fore its a keeper system.

TSP seems to have a really good system going for them and fits a good variety of headers. best of luck to you. and Enjoy!

can't beat the sound quality you simply cannot!
Old 06-24-2004, 10:26 AM
Staging Lane

I have 1 3/4" headers going into 3" duals with an X pipe, into 2.5" dynomax mufflers, then 2.5" piping dumping before the rear. I feel this is the best setup for stock cubes. With the setup on stock internals I made 350 rwhp and 360 rwtq. Now I have a G5X2 and make 425 rwhp and 386 rwtq. I have lost no lowend torque and it is definetly not holding the car back. BTW, all those numbers are through a 8.8" Ford rear with 4.10 gears. Since you are in Texas, I would recommend giving Lanes in Dallas a call for whatever setup you go with. He was one of the first guys to make duals and does awesome work. PM me if you want his info.

Brandon.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well I am pretty sure I am going to go with TSP's new setup, especially after hearing it on Hugger427's ride. Which was f'in sick. Prolly pick up a set of the new Pacesetter LT's while I'm at it and really open her up

Thanks for the replies, like I said I thought I was on the right path but got confused. Thanks for helpin me sort it out.
Old 06-26-2004, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

these ls1s are heavy breathers stock, open that exhaust up
Old 06-27-2004, 01:23 PM
TECH Regular

I ran around with true duals before I got the heads and cam. Granted I dont drive my car that often but I still felt the difference from my old set-up that consisted of SLP's 3inch y-pipe to their Loud Mouth.

Originally Posted by slik98z
watch out for them sweet chambers, i think they sound louder than the bullets. but thats not from a personal experience just from listening to that set up on the net.

Hmmmmm

Not really sure but you might be right. My car is really loud. I'd have to compare it side by side to a car running dynomax bullets just to be sure.

Rene
Old 06-28-2004, 11:17 PM
On The Tree

My car is pretty damn loud as well and I have sweet thunders.....As a matter a fact, it's louder then my buddies with bullets so....???
Old 06-29-2004, 09:05 AM
On The Tree

I plan on doing something similar. I'm going to make a 409 motor, but I'm going to have a true dual exhaust first. I want to get 2.75", but I'll go with 2.5" if I can't find the cutsom size. You will only loose low end torque compared to the perfect exhaust. The stock exhaust is so restrictive that I can't imagine this hurting you. It will be the best in the long run and a lot cheaper. Good luck.