Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SSRA vs. Competitors

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 01:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question SSRA vs. Competitors

Im about to buy a ram air kit. The SSRA (super sucker ram air kit) strikes my eye the most and talks the best game. But is it really outperforming its competition like Fast toys, SLP, Whisper? If not who's kit is really offering the most gains? Thanks for any replies.
Old 07-03-2004, 06:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lt1BadBoy
Im about to buy a ram air kit. The SSRA (super sucker ram air kit) strikes my eye the most and talks the best game. But is it really outperforming its competition like Fast toys, SLP, Whisper? If not who's kit is really offering the most gains? Thanks for any replies.
Go with the SSRA...
Old 07-03-2004, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sure the SSRA outperforms all based on design. It is also the most likely to ingest water, and the most fragile.
Old 07-03-2004, 07:22 PM
TECH Regular

It rained on my way home tonight, very hard. No water in the motor. I've even got my MAF descreened. The only way to ingest water with this is to crank the car in a 4 foot puddle. Goodluck ingesting water unless you're driving in your neighborhood pool. If you treat your car well and know how to drive, you won't break the SSRA. I've scraped a few times and was very worried that I had just ruined my SSRA but it was the chin spoiler. Definitely go with the SSRA the FTRA holds heat and many have had problems with it.
Old 07-04-2004, 03:02 AM
Launching!

i agree, the ssra is a real nice product, i drove home in a complete downpour at like 40-50 mph, i got home after a half hour of driving in it and i popped the lid up and filter was still dry to the touch. personally, its the only one ive had, but i cant see the others doing it any better, the setup is just that much better. if i had it to do again, id go with the ssra over and over again.
Old 07-04-2004, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

what problems have people had with the ftra? mine was already there when i bought the car, but i haven't had a problem with it.......they did a test on it at installuniversity.com and it seemed to do well........that being said i don't know much about the ssra.....
Old 07-04-2004, 01:37 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jdustu
that being said i don't know much about the ssra.....
How's this? This is what the bottom half looks like.

Old 07-04-2004, 02:30 PM
Staging Lane

I too am about to purchase a Ram Air Kit. I am going to get the SSRA2; it's just the top portion similiar to the FTRA. My wife sometimes drives my car and I dont want to take the risk of her ramming it into the curb or parking lot stopper. I can later purchase the bottom portion of the SSRA in the future if I desire. Anyway, I did some research and I like the SSRA because it is plastic and wont hold the heat next to the radiator and its angled away from the rad a bit more. The top portion holds a good seal and you dont have to use any additional screws, etc to install it.

I have emailed the maker of the product and he seem like a great dude and he is always very receptive to his customer base. I will be purchasing the SSRA2 in the next few weeks.
Old 07-04-2004, 09:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Abidar
It rained on my way home tonight, very hard. No water in the motor. I've even got my MAF descreened. The only way to ingest water with this is to crank the car in a 4 foot puddle. .
not true man. you see how much water gets splashed on the underside of your car when you dive into a rain puddle at a decent speed? here, we're talking about a duct that's channeling and sucking air into the intake.

i've got the SSRA and i drive the same route everyday and know pretty much exactly which parts of the road holds rain water.....but i'm still worried as sometimes i catch a puddle by surprised on a road that i'm not used to.
Old 07-05-2004, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, you will at least get moisture up there....the filter should stop it, except for in extreme conditions......the one i have came with a metal plate you can actualy close the ram air with, but i don't know where you will get any air from with it closed...i don't drive it in the rain too much anyways....as far as retaining heat, that's only gonna happen sitting in traffic(if at all) so it's not a big deal in my case.....
Old 07-05-2004, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I too have a SSRA. I'm very happy with the design & ease of install. It is atleast as good as the FTRA. The thing about the scoop is that it pressurizes the intake better the faster that you go.
I think it was one of the best relatively cheap mod's that I've done. Sometimes at the track people will say to me how are you trapping 120 with that setup..It's simple mods like this that make it all possible, Fred
Old 07-05-2004, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've had both. I like the FTRA better. More durable and doesn't stick out. You can install the FTRA where the bottom lip is behind the airdam. The SSRA is just there, and I have bumped a couple of curbs with it and driven in the rain but avoid large puddles. With the FTRA I did pick up just under .1 in E/T with similar weather conditions as the previous run. I don't know the benefit of the SSRA as my current car came with it, but if I was buying one it would be the FTRA. If you want to see a pic of it on my lowered Z28 check c and p the link in my sig.