Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Come check this out! Now this is free ram air!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 06:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talking Come check this out! Now this is free ram air!!!!!!!!!! Updated pics inside!!

Newest pics on the last page!!

I did this the other day. It is not complete of course, I am waiting for my grommets to come in. I bored the holes 1.75 inches in dia. and will be putting in the grommets along with tubes cut to fit the right lenghth, this way the whole box that I bored wont fill up with air and mix around it will be a straight shot through the tubes. The holes line up nice with the intake I custom made. All and all I have made my own custom ram air set up cheap out of a stock non-ws6 hood. Here are some pics of the hole set up.

There are some completed updated pics towards the bottom of the page, be sure to check them out.
Attached Thumbnails Come check this out! Now this is free ram air!!!!!!!!!!-100_4571.jpg   Come check this out! Now this is free ram air!!!!!!!!!!-100_4576.jpg   Come check this out! Now this is free ram air!!!!!!!!!!-100_4577.jpg   Come check this out! Now this is free ram air!!!!!!!!!!-100_4578.jpg   Come check this out! Now this is free ram air!!!!!!!!!!-100_4545.jpg  

Last edited by Tranzaman00; 07-01-2005 at 11:25 PM.
Old 10-28-2004, 06:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice but you should have tried to keep the holes even..
Old 10-28-2004, 06:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Z28Venom
Nice but you should have tried to keep the holes even..

Thank you, The holes are even I used a deep hole saw and bored them all the way through at once. It is hard to get the right angle whenn taking the pics to get them to show up even. I have pics that make them look even more crooked. It's just a optical illusion. They have a up hill angle to them so when the hood is closed the air goes perfectly up to each cone filter. Thanks again for looking
Old 10-28-2004, 06:59 PM
TECH Resident

I should have pics with the grommets and tubes installed in a couple of days.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think he meant the holes should have been even, like having the same space on each side of eachother.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:45 PM
TECH Addict

Anything to get more air in, but careful driving in the rain with that setup. Does the front end of his car look like a mean dude with spooky eyeballs now?

Old 10-28-2004, 10:45 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Good job! I've been thinking of doing something similar, but keeping the stock airbox and using gasket material to seal it to the backside of the hood brace. Question: are the nuts to the hood latch bolts attached to the inside of the hood brace, or are they loose?
Old 10-28-2004, 10:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

dont worry about rain, i have a ws6 with all the baffles out, not problems at all, just dont dip the nose down in a huge puddle
Old 10-28-2004, 11:00 PM
TECH Resident

I thought about doing something similar but instead of drilling holes I wanted to cut opening the shape of the ones that are in the front of the car on the front and ones that will match up with the factory airbox on the inner side. then take some sheet metal and create a funnel that would keep airflow smooth through the opening with a gap between the hood latch and airbox to allow water to stay out of filter area since water is heavier than air and should fall off the edge of the opening. some of the air will go on into the engine compartment but most will go into the airbox at high speeds dispite the 2 inch gap.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:10 PM
Pontiacerator

Originally Posted by Cody Brooks
I thought about doing something similar but instead of drilling holes I wanted to cut opening the shape of the ones that are in the front of the car on the front and ones that will match up with the factory airbox on the inner side.
Same thing I'm thinking except a gasket could be made and glued to the backside to seal around the airbox opening. Holes could be drilled in the bottom of the brace to drain off water.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:03 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HAUS1
I think he meant the holes should have been even, like having the same space on each side of eachother.

You can't space them the same distance apart because of the latch on the right side. Thanks for checking my thread out though
Old 10-29-2004, 08:20 AM
Launching!

Default Not sure if I would that!

Hi...I thought about doing what you did a few years back. In fact, there are several TA's on the Web that have done this. Most of them have created larger openings through the front of the hood. You could open those holes a lot more. Also, if you're using a stock air box, it's easy to seal the air box to the hood. In my mind, here's the problem: I had everything marked and ready to go. However, I just didn't have the heart to cut through the stock hood. I thought about the possibility of selling the car someday. When I thought about that, I realized that the car would be more difficult to sell in the future. Some people wouldn't mind, but a lot of folks would pass on a car that has been "cut-up."

Just food for thought.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:11 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would try to follow the "nostrils" a bit more, and where
you need to keep structure just paint the face black to
make it "go away". I think you want a sealing box around
the back and sides of the Volant to wall off the hot engine
air and make the cold air feed the inlet exclusively.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
I would try to follow the "nostrils" a bit more, and where
you need to keep structure just paint the face black to
make it "go away". I think you want a sealing box around
the back and sides of the Volant to wall off the hot engine
air and make the cold air feed the inlet exclusively.

Thanks for your comments. The intake is not a volant however, it is one I made myself totally custom. This is why there is no box like the volant comes with. I agree the box would keep the hotter air out and force the incoming air in better. As far as lining them up with the nostrils more, you really can't because of the latch on the right side. I am pretty anol about things and wish that they were the same distance apart. The good thing is unless you sit down indian style in front of the car you can't see the holes at all.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:25 PM
TECH Resident

Here are some updated pics of the finished product. I installed the grommets and the 11/2 inside dia. pipes. Thanks for looking and thanks for everyones comments.
Attached Thumbnails Come check this out! Now this is free ram air!!!!!!!!!!-100_4589.jpg   Come check this out! Now this is free ram air!!!!!!!!!!-100_4600.jpg   Come check this out! Now this is free ram air!!!!!!!!!!-100_4596.jpg   Come check this out! Now this is free ram air!!!!!!!!!!-100_4598.jpg   Come check this out! Now this is free ram air!!!!!!!!!!-100_4592.jpg  

Old 10-29-2004, 07:14 PM
Pontiacerator

Originally Posted by 99Andrew
Hi...I thought about doing what you did a few years back. In fact, there are several TA's on the Web that have done this. Most of them have created larger openings through the front of the hood. You could open those holes a lot more. Also, if you're using a stock air box, it's easy to seal the air box to the hood. In my mind, here's the problem: I had everything marked and ready to go. However, I just didn't have the heart to cut through the stock hood. I thought about the possibility of selling the car someday. When I thought about that, I realized that the car would be more difficult to sell in the future. Some people wouldn't mind, but a lot of folks would pass on a car that has been "cut-up." Just food for thought.
Exactly why I haven't done it - though, like you, I had it marked and everything. I haven't done any of the FRA variations because of reading too many hydrolock stories and not wanting to hassle with putting block-off plates on and off.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:29 PM
TECH Resident

Nice work. should do 4 wholes.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1SS4ever
Nice work. should do 4 wholes.
Thanks bro! I was considering that.
Old 10-31-2004, 12:36 PM
TECH Resident

I am going to make some 1/4 mile passes with my g-tech. I know this is'nt the best way to tell a difference, but I have my old times logged down from previous g-tech runs. Has anyone ever taken there g-tech to the track and compared times?
Old 10-31-2004, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
dont worry about rain, i have a ws6 with all the baffles out, not problems at all, just dont dip the nose down in a huge puddle
Thats hard to believe, no water in the intake? Heavy rain? or a drizzle?