Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 Intake + Ported TB = ????

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 11:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default LS6 Intake + Ported TB = ????

I'll tell you what it equals ... just installed both and it equals shittin' your pants when you hit second (A4). When it FINALLY grabbed traction, my Kuhmo's dug and that ****** ripped down the road like there was no tomorrow. Daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn Boooooooooyyyyyyyyyy!!!!! The '99 came alive!!!!!!!!!!!
I was grinnin' like a fox with mouthful of yellow jackets!!!!

Anyone else get the same effect from just these two modifications?????
Old 10-30-2004, 11:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It helps you have a cam too Who ported your tb? Always nice to hear of SOTP gains
Old 10-30-2004, 12:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam or blower

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
I'll tell you what it equals ... just installed both and it equals shittin' your pants when you hit second (A4). When it FINALLY grabbed traction, my Kuhmo's dug and that ****** ripped down the road like there was no tomorrow. Daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn Boooooooooyyyyyyyyyy!!!!! The '99 came alive!!!!!!!!!!!
I was grinnin' like a fox with mouthful of yellow jackets!!!!

Anyone else get the same effect from just these two modifications?????

What type of intake did u install ? was it an Ls6. I heard and i may be wrong so correct me if iam wrong, but i heard that your stock intake manifold is good up to 600hp. if you want to want to upgrade your manifold then wait untill you get a cam or blower package then change it out. If you change out your manifold w/o the cam or blower then the new manifold is only good up to 10-15hp
Old 10-30-2004, 12:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ls12000
What type of intake did u install ? was it an Ls6. I heard and i may be wrong so correct me if iam wrong, but i heard that your stock intake manifold is good up to 600hp. if you want to want to upgrade your manifold then wait untill you get a cam or blower package then change it out. If you change out your manifold w/o the cam or blower then the new manifold is only good up to 10-15hp
You're wrong. LS6 > LS1 even on a stock internal car. LS6 makes an even bigger difference in higher power applications, but then FAST is even better. I guess you're 10-15 hp gain figure is about right, but that is a pretty good gain for what an LS6 intake costs...
Old 10-30-2004, 02:03 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, I think the cam probably made the difference, once it could breath. With the old LS1 intake and TB, it seemed like there was something in the engine sorta' holding it back. Now, it feels really crisp and responsive.

The intake is the one with the number for the LS6 Z06, however, my wife has the same number on her 2002 Trans Am's intake. The throttle body was done by Jantzer. It didn't seem to make any difference as compared to the stock TB (just really nice looking), until the LS6 intake went on. I think the combination of the two worked in sync with each other to wake up my cam.

I'll dyno it and post numbers here. I was at 335 RWHP/349 RWTQ. Hopefully, the numbers will go up to where I expect them to ... simply for the sake of higher numbers.
I know numbers don't necessarily mean a lot, but, they sure can't hurt, either.

On LS1HOWTO.COM, JmX's LS6 Intake writeup at the bottom had that he gained 24 RWHP and 14 RWTQ just by swapping the intakes out. There is a dyno showing it. I didn't believe that until I got mine on this morning and took it for it's first dig. I guess more heavily modded cars do see bigger gains with the swap.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put one on my car recently... can't really tell a difference. I didn't expect much though, my car = stock internals. I already had the ported TB, when that was done - the car "felt" like it had crisper throttle response, but it didn't feel like I gained anything power-wise. For me... those two mods just help me nickel and dime a few extra HP at a time towards my goal.

Like said earlier, I'm sure the intake really makes the cam you have shine. Glad to see positive results, please post up your dyno & track results when you get a chance.
Old 10-31-2004, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

Default I hear ya' ...

I haven't seen much difference on hardly any modifications I have done until this week. Like you said, I believe it was like we all pretty much suspect ... that is, the collective combination of mods that work together to give an overall setup/engine flow that the PCM is happy with.

I want to do a stall converter, but, I'm afraid I'll break my rearend with sticky tires I have on the rear. As you build up your car, I hope you get good gains ... good luck, man.
Old 10-31-2004, 02:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's good news to me. I wasn't too impressed with the gains from headers & cam, but I still have the stock ls1 intake & tb. I'm planning on going with the ls2 and 90mm throttle body though. Hopefully i'll feel the same gains you did.
Old 10-31-2004, 02:39 PM
TECH Addict

Default IMHO you'll get better.

You should get much better results than I did because you have 1 3/4" primaries, so, you'll flow well. I have 1 5/8" primaries. That damned LS1 intake just doesn't flow well in comparison to the LS6 intake. I first got it , then looked at it, and said, "So, it's flat on the bottom .. big friggin' deal". It didn't look like it would flow much better, but, it sure surprised me. I'm still on stock heads, so, there are several reasons why you should be pretty darned impressed with gains I believe that you will see. Good luck and I wish your numbers are twice what I feel mine will be.

Last edited by JEB99TA; 10-31-2004 at 02:43 PM. Reason: mispelling/typo's