Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O2 sensor Problems need help!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 08:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation O2 sensor Problems need help!!!!!!!!!

I have a problem, i put Jet-hot long tube headers on my car about 6months ago. Now i am having problems with my O2 sensors, they keep malfunctioning on me. When i took them out they were really black. I also put a air/fuel gauge in my car, and the gauge is going crazy. When i am either at idle or just cruzin the gauge goes from 2 light in rich to the last light in the lean. Can anyone please help me, These O2 Sensors are very expensive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-21-2004, 08:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02URPITFUL
I have a problem, i put Jet-hot long tube headers on my car about 6months ago. Now i am having problems with my O2 sensors, they keep malfunctioning on me. When i took them out they were really black. I also put a air/fuel gauge in my car, and the gauge is going crazy. When i am either at idle or just cruzin the gauge goes from 2 light in rich to the last light in the lean. Can anyone please help me, These O2 Sensors are very expensive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Um.. are you gauging your O2s being bad on the movement of your A/F guage... The A/F is supposed to move back and forth like that.

If your O2s were taking a dump, your car would be running like ***? Is this the case?

Let us know some of the symptoms.. The O2s are going to be black because they're in the path of the exhaust exiting the car. Nothing but carbon build up..
Old 11-22-2004, 09:36 PM
Staging Lane

The symptoms that i have are that sometimes, after i let my car sit for awhile (it doesn't happen everytime) The car won't start. It starts but it won't idle and i have to turn it off and just turn the key on and sit there for awhile. Then it starts up fine. Then there is the thing of the O2 sensors going out.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

Are you getting any SES codes? You should have your car scanned..
Old 11-23-2004, 12:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been getting codes (SES Light) on my passenger side o2 lately as well. Im going to replace my o2s with the corvette rear (after cat) sensors, which are rumored to have a higher wattage heater for more accurate readings in the cooler exhaust further down the header.

-T
Old 11-23-2004, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02URPITFUL
The symptoms that i have are that sometimes, after i let my car sit for awhile
How long is "awhile"?
Old 11-24-2004, 04:52 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
I have been getting codes (SES Light) on my passenger side o2 lately as well. Im going to replace my o2s with the corvette rear (after cat) sensors, which are rumored to have a higher wattage heater for more accurate readings in the cooler exhaust further down the header.

-T
I've got one dumping fuel too. How many others have done this? Does it work? Which brand (and part#) are you using? Sorry to slightly hijack.
Old 11-25-2004, 08:10 PM
TECH Regular

Do you have headers? Maybe you have a fried wire due to header heat. I did.

I wrapped the lower portion of my headers to the collectors with wet header wrap, clamped the tape, and then let it dry. I did this to keep the collectors and 02s toasty.

Have not had a code since.
Old 11-26-2004, 07:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay, I just bought and installed the rear vette oxygen sensors in my front o2 locations. Drove about ten miles. So far so good. The part number was Bosch 13111 - $78 from autozone. Ill have to see what happens over the course of the next few hundred miles.