Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cammed...Do I need a TB???

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2004, 01:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Cammed...Do I need a TB???

I have done a search and have found this is a very controversial issue, so it really didnt help me and I am looking for some more advice.

I will have all the mods in my sig...including the future ones when I get my car dyno tuned and was wondering if I should add this too my list?

So....do I need an aftermarket throttle body or ported stocker?

I know I do not NEED IT...the car will run just fine without it. But if it is going to give me 10 horsepower or more I am willing to buy one...if not, I wont waste my time/money.

thanks
Old 12-25-2004, 01:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, a ported stock tb will work just fine with your ls6 intake. a couple sponsers port them well, as well as a few non-sponsers(besides myself....mods ). For the most part you'll find all do quality work, just depends on what you're willing to deal with and what features you're looking for. A well ported tb normally gains 5-10rwhp, on average. Some more, some less. Either way its a worthwhile mod. PM if you need any more details. For example, I can't post Mark Shaner's contact info up on the board since he's not a sponser.
Old 12-25-2004, 09:24 AM
TECH Addict

In a word...no. You don't need it. For a stock cube engine, get a ported stocker IF you want to squeeze every last horsepower out of your engine. Otherwise you will be fine. Our TBs are very well sized...unlike that tiny crap Ford puts on their engines. For them, that is the first thing they should yank.
Old 12-25-2004, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well...slp has a ported and polished one for 160...should I go with that one or can I get a better deal somewhere else with just as high quality?

Also...are ported throttle bodies direct bolt on? or do I have to mess with voltage and all that crap?

thanks
Old 12-25-2004, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
Well...slp has a ported and polished one for 160...should I go with that one or can I get a better deal somewhere else with just as high quality?

Also...are ported throttle bodies direct bolt on? or do I have to mess with voltage and all that crap?

thanks
They are a direct bolt-on. SLP=poop. Buy Bauer, Jantzer, or Shaner S3
Old 12-25-2004, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Another_User
They are a direct bolt-on. SLP=poop. Buy Bauer, Jantzer, or Shaner S3
slp isn't junk but they do have pricey parts compared to others
Old 12-25-2004, 02:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by thenewb
slp isn't junk but they do have pricey parts compared to others
some of SLP's stuff is junk. other stuff, such as their SFC's, are good stuff. either way they're ****** expensive. better quality stuff for a cheaper price can be found elsewhere most of the time....making slp not such a great choice.
Old 12-25-2004, 02:53 PM
11 Second Club

there is no reason not to add 5-10hp (which you will get on a cammed car) for around $100. i payed $90 for my jantzer on a gp that i couldnt pass up. i probably didnt get anything on my stock motor but the cam and QTP's in the garage and the heads in the shop are going to love it.
Old 12-25-2004, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

The slp unit is only like 168...with NO CORE charge. Doesnt sound that bad to me.
Old 12-25-2004, 09:32 PM
TECH Addict

There is already a thread or 2 about the SLP TB so its not much to talk about. The main thing is to get a quality TB no matter what you spend but IMO keep it under $150 out right or $100 exchange or your payin too much unless its more than P/P work done. Look around at pix and rep and make your own judgement on what to spend.

Quick Reply: Cammed...Do I need a TB???