Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which is quiter for true duals bullets or 1 chambers

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 11:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default which is more quiet for true duals bullets or Flowmaster 1 chambers

just wondering
Old 01-12-2005, 11:27 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would guess the 1 chambers...my Magnaflow bullets aren't terribly loud, but I can assure you they aren't quiet either.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:35 AM
TECH Resident

I doubt one's quieter than the other - and both will drone like crazy. The Flowmasters will have a more 'metalic' sound when revving.

In our experience - with most applications, Flo-Pro Twisters(spiral flow design) work the best. For a stock internal car, nearly stock idle loudness. Nasty when you want - revving(and metalic, similar to a FM). And little or no drone at all when at cruising speeds.

The best of both worlds.

Last edited by Lane; 01-13-2005 at 11:43 AM.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the Flowmaster 1-chambers, and I love em. Not near as loud as I thought.
but to answer your question:

Flowmaster: REALLY deep (sets off car alarms), rich sound, makes the mustang guys however, they do resonate inside.

Bullets: a little louder than the Flowmasters, not quite as deep sounding, but a lot less resonation inside. Also, better ground clearance.
FWIW
nothing against the bullets, but me and a few others that I know, think they sound like a jacked-up 4x4 w/dual exh.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:13 PM
9 Second Club

Interesting, i am running the Bullets, and was pretty suprised at how...not loud they were. I mean, people are constantly complaing at how loud the bullets are, but really, it isnt all that bad, as long as you keep your foot out of it.

I am interested at some point in the future switching out to maybe some spintechs, or a flowmaster 1 chamber.....for street use anyways..at the track, i'll just slip them off....
Old 01-12-2005, 05:44 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by tim99ws6
Interesting, i am running the Bullets, and was pretty suprised at how...not loud they were. I mean, people are constantly complaing at how loud the bullets are, but really, it isnt all that bad, as long as you keep your foot out of it.

I am interested at some point in the future switching out to maybe some spintechs, or a flowmaster 1 chamber.....for street use anyways..at the track, i'll just slip them off....
Honestly, I thought my bullets would be louder too. Then again, I'm using Magnaflows, and they exit out the back.

As for the 4x4 comment, I don't think it sounds like one inside the car, but I've never heard it from the outside. Time to let the g/f drive it so I can have a listen...
Old 01-12-2005, 09:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tim99ws6
Exactly what I'm doing. Got some Spintech ProShootouts (racing version of the ProStreet) sitting here that'll serve for street duty when the car gets put back together. Spintechs sound sweet in person, especially in duals and with an X-pipe. I thoroughly enjoyed my 4" Spintech from Mufflex, best sounding mufflers out there imo.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JBIRD02
I have the Flowmaster 1-chambers, and I love em. Not near as loud as I thought.
but to answer your question:

Flowmaster: REALLY deep (sets off car alarms), rich sound, makes the mustang guys however, they do resonate inside.

Bullets: a little louder than the Flowmasters, not quite as deep sounding, but a lot less resonation inside. Also, better ground clearance.
FWIW
nothing against the bullets, but me and a few others that I know, think they sound like a jacked-up 4x4 w/dual exh.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have 1 chambers now, and I went to them from 3 chambers. Too much resonance, I don't like them. Maybe a few years ago I would have, but I think I'm getting old or something. I'm going to try the 2 chambers in the spring when I bring my car back out. I had duals with 2 chambers on my 95 'vert, and I LOVED them. Deep as ****, with just the right amount of resonance. 1 chambers seem a little raspy 5000+ rpm too, kinda annoying
Old 01-12-2005, 10:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mushroom281
just wondering
I have dynomax bullets. I also thought mine would be louder at cruising but its tolerable. Seems just as loud as my old **** box cat back with a 3 chamber flow on it minus the rasp of course. Sounds much cleaner now. I used the 18" so it would be deeper with "less" drone. However, If you do not like vibration/drone in the car do NOT get them dumped. I dont care which muffler you choose, it will be there, granted some more than others. But it is the nature of the beast. Duals dumped are not for the timid.

I think the 1 chamber flows, sound the best (deepest) but its a trade off for ground clearance.

If you like a more refined sound, the Borla xr-1's are nice, but GD expensive. I was going to use them at first, but I had a budget

Magnaflow ovals seem to be a trade off, and I would of used them second but my set up is run through my TQ arm and then along side it. They would of taken up too much space.

If I didnt have a beater car to drive once and a while, I know I would of wished I had them run out the back, but now I kinda like all the added commotion with the car. It is nice to "feel" every single HP. It lets me know I'm still alive.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got single chambers and have pretty good ground clearance and I love the sound.