Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of LT's and a cutout

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 12:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thinking of LT's and a cutout

I was gonna go with a full catback system, probably borla, but lost some funds this week. Now I'm thinking just some LT's and a cutout. Will I have to buy a new catback anyway with LT's, or can I make 'em fit with the stocker and get a cutout? Also, would I pass inspection with this setup, or will I have to tune it to pass?
Old 02-02-2005, 12:59 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rainman
I was gonna go with a full catback system, probably borla, but lost some funds this week. Now I'm thinking just some LT's and a cutout. Will I have to buy a new catback anyway with LT's, or can I make 'em fit with the stocker and get a cutout? Also, would I pass inspection with this setup, or will I have to tune it to pass?
That's a good set up actually IMO, you'll still have it quiet when you want it (capped) and have even greater power gains than what a cat back without a cut out gives you when it's uncapped. I have that exact combo and love it.
Look into the QTP QTEC electric cut out (and their awesome stainless long tubes as well), that cut out is ultra convenient to have. www.quicktimeperformance.com

As far as inspection it depends on the state, in some states a cut out is illegal but most states might not really even notice it (have it closed of course when going through inspection LOL). Long tubes, moving and/or removing the cats etc is basically illegal everywhere but again each state has it's own rules and levels of strictness on enforcing them. PLENTY of people have driven right through a state inspection with headers on, a cut out and NO cats so it can be done.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
That's a good set up actually IMO, you'll still have it quiet when you want it (capped) and have even greater power gains than what a cat back without a cut out gives you when it's uncapped. I have that exact combo and love it.
Look into the QTP QTEC electric cut out (and their awesome stainless long tubes as well), that cut out is ultra convenient to have. www.quicktimeperformance.com

As far as inspection it depends on the state, in some states a cut out is illegal but most states might not really even notice it (have it closed of course when going through inspection LOL). Long tubes, moving and/or removing the cats etc is basically illegal everywhere but again each state has it's own rules and levels of strictness on enforcing them. PLENTY of people have driven right through a state inspection with headers on, a cut out and NO cats so it can be done.
Yea, heard QTP's headers were nice, but don't think I have that cash right now . Gonna try and find a used set for 2 or $300
Old 02-02-2005, 01:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

you could just wait and save up for what you really want... One of these days you're gonna just tear all that stuff off again when you can afford what you really had your heart set out on
Old 02-02-2005, 01:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by txhorns281
you could just wait and save up for what you really want... One of these days you're gonna just tear all that stuff off again when you can afford what you really had your heart set out on
That's why I was thinking cutout. That way I can get a little better sound and a few horses while until I have the money for a full system.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:35 AM
11 Second Club

I run the QTPs LTs with their QTEC cutout and a stock muffler.. i love it.,, i can be rather quiet or very loud in just a few seconds...
Old 02-02-2005, 01:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Durien
I run the QTPs LTs with their QTEC cutout and a stock muffler.. i love it.,, i can be rather quiet or very loud in just a few seconds...
That's what I want. Can I keep the stock Y pipe if I get LT's or will I need a new one. I don't really want to go with an off road pipe because I want to pass inspection.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:06 AM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by rainman
That's what I want. Can I keep the stock Y pipe if I get LT's or will I need a new one. I don't really want to go with an off road pipe because I want to pass inspection.
No, you do have to get a new (and of course MUCH improved) Y pipe, but luckily you can get a catted Y pipe as well if need be.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Try to find you a used set of Kook's or QTP's. If you plan on keeping your car for a long time these are the ones to go with. I agree with the post about saving up and get what's best. It is better in the long run. I would go ahead and just put the cutout on the stock exhaust for now and live with it till you can get LT and True Duals or what ever your preference is. I was very happy when I put my cutout on then I stepped it up a little at a time. Now I'm extremely happy with my LT and TD set up.