Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP Loudmouth???

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 12:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SLP Loudmouth???

I just purchased a SLP Loudmouth a couple of days ago and a couple of people have said that they only do good on a car with very light mods. Is this true and will it be okay with my mods?
Old 02-02-2005, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

I didn't notice any gains on my car when I put it on. I only had a SLP lid at the time. I would think it would work better with more mods as it is a straight thru design
Old 02-02-2005, 12:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Great system for the car until you get LT headers, then it becomes unbearable. All other mods work well with it. Don't buy the bs that slp sells about it adding 25 hp though; their parts are average, their claims are false, and their marketing is excellent.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:36 PM
Launching!

Well, I'm not looking for anymore power with it, I just wanted something louder than my stock 3" SLP Dual Dual. That thing was just too quiet for me. I just don't want the Loudmouth to sound like ****.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:38 PM
TECH Regular

There are a few people who run it with LT headers WITH cats and like the sound, I have never heard anything good about it w/o cats.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

u will not like the sound of a loudmouth with no cats. especially with that cam in there. if u wanna get a catted y pipe to use with your headers, it will sound a lot better. but an ory pipe with headers and a loudmouth, it wont sound very good. imho, i would return it if u bought it new. but who knows u may like it. it is definitely louder, but unrefined and raspy. have u gone on ls1sounds.com and listened to some different setups with ory pipes?
Old 02-02-2005, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

I have a loudmouth and i felt a significant difference. Of course, with the more mods you have, the better these parts work together and produce more power. Mostly likely the power went up by 15hp or so, but the throttle response is now more crisp and the powerband feels stronger all around, especially up top. Wat i like the most since it is a straight through design is that you dont get the "no low-end" power feel you get from cutouts. The throttle remains "tight" all around and its really loud.

Personally, people have their opinions about SLP but the loudmouth is a good exhaust that DOES produce power. Its stainless and pretty easy to install. Also, their have been some complaints about the tone of the exhaust as soon as you drop in a LT setup. The easy remedy is a borla XR-1, Round muffler (also straight design) that will kill most of the "rasp" people complain about. If loudness is an issue well you shouldnt of gotten an exhaust that is called a "loudmouth"

If you wanted a loud exhaust well you got it. Trust me, i still get a smile on my face almost everytime i start it up....The first time you'll start it, all of your worries will quickly go away......I was so shocked that i had to re start it because i thought i was hearing things.........
Old 02-02-2005, 01:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran the loudmouth after my header install with cats and it sounded like **** when you got on it. Replaced the resonator with a Borla XR-1 and it sounds deep and mean.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Blue Falcon
I didn't notice any gains on my car when I put it on. I only had a SLP lid at the time. I would think it would work better with more mods as it is a straight thru design
You will only see very minimal gains from a LM over a SS Dual/Dual or a WS6 exhaust. I use to not believe this was possilbe, so I dyno tested both and the LM only gained 3 RWHP....the Dual/Dual and the WS6 exhausts flow VERY well, even if they are quite.

As for the sound:
Without cats, it's going to get pretty loud.....you'll have to start being careful around the local law inforcement.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:08 PM
Launching!

What is the price difference between the XR-1 and the loudmouth? I just went through ls1sounds and it does sound pretty shitty w/out cats. I love the way it sounds with them though. I'm planning on getting a new set of lt's and a catted y-pipe in a couple of weeks so I'll try the Loudmouth with them and if I don't like it, I'll just sell it and go with something else.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

I know someone with hookers and the loudmouth and It still sounds good. Loud but good. I Don't know how it sounds inside the car though
Old 02-02-2005, 03:23 PM
TECH Addict

i think the borla goes for 125-130? I would try the setup without it and take it from there. Than i would drop the reso and put in the borla.

I cant think but the round Sportmans XR-1 is the one you want?
Can anyone else chime in and verify this....
Old 02-02-2005, 09:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by obZidian
I would try the setup without it and take it from there. Than i would drop the reso and put in the borla.
That's what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna get some different LT's and a catted y-pipe first. Then if I think it's still too loud or doesn't sound very good, them I'll switch over to the borla. Thanks everyone for all of your help . I'll let you know what I think about it as soon as I get it on in a couple of weeks.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

There are a few people who run it with LT headers WITH cats and like the sound, I have never heard anything good about it w/o cats.
I love mine with cats and have had lots of compliments about it. Inside it sounds really mean at high rpms, especially with T tops off. I haven't heard it from the outside when the car is being driven but everyone tells me its really loud.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:42 AM
TECH Regular

The cops told me if I dont wont a ticket then Im not allowed to go down our main cruise strip.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:08 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Formula-T/A
The cops told me if I dont wont a ticket then Im not allowed to go down our main cruise strip.
WAT!!!! Dude, Thats garbage!!!!

Well, you could cruise anyways on chill mod and when your in front of him, give it a little rev.................J/K, dont listen to me, i have this serious problem with law emforcement and their egos.

I know that their are some good police officers that are really cool about it and they drive out and sometimes give it a little bit of gas..

But, from my experience the Miami officers, for the exception of the FHP, are all punks....(generally speaking) I've seen this one guy drive out to the local races, RACE his stang and when the cops show up, like clockwork......hmmm everytime he's there though, he just drives up, has a quick chat and drives off...This has happened more than once....

Wow, way off topic.........sorry!!
Old 02-03-2005, 05:44 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

Originally Posted by chaos
I just purchased a SLP Loudmouth a couple of days ago and a couple of people have said that they only do good on a car with very light mods. Is this true and will it be okay with my mods?
Cancell your sale and just buy a cut-out! Thats all you need right there, $30 mod.

The Dual-Dual flows really well, and if you had a cut-out you can just open or close it when you want to. Or you can buy a QTEC electric gate to open and close it from inside your car.

If you decide to keep the Loudmouth go ahead and get the Borla XR-1 before you install the Loudmouth. Have it all installed at one time.
I have it on my 427 SS and it sounds pretty good with little to no rasp or "popping." I have FLP LT's and a custom 3" y-pipe with no cats.
It flows well enough to get my SS to put 535rwhp to the ground all the way through the tips. Most people have dumps.

The Loudmouth will also be alot lighter then your Dual-Dual. I shipped a Dual-Dual in a box and it weighed 70lbs. When my Loudmouth came in from Thunder Racing I think it weighed about 10lbs in the box.

The Borla XR-1 Round Sportsman Racing Mufflers from www.Jegs.com is $112.99.
The part number is:

157-40085

And here is the link:
(towards the bottom of the page)

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...68&prmenbr=361

Hope that helps,
Craig.