Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker catback opinions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooker catback opinions wanted

I have been to ls1 sounds page and like the sound and price of the Hooker cat-back.Can some of you who have this exhaust give me some input,noticble HP increase,any change in tone after putting on milage,highway drone,are you satisfied with it? etc. I have only the funds for a catback so the rest of the exhaust will be stock for a while.This will be going on a 98 formula.Thanks for the help
Old 02-14-2005, 03:48 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this exhaust behind Kooks headers and catted-y, and I really liked it. I didn't notice a performance increase over the cutout I was running prior to it, but didn't expect to. What I did like what how tame it was cruising around town and on the highway. No drone, no change in tone after driving it for a few thousand miles...overall, it was a good system. Fit surprisingly well for the price.

I ended up getting rid of it though because it just wasn't the sound I was looking for. It was a bit too quiet for my taste, and I wanted true duals. That's what I went with, and I'm glad I did. The true duals sound much deeper and perform better, which is what I was after. Definitely louder at WOT than the Hooker, but the Hooker also gets pretty loud when you get on it (which kinda surprised me).

Just my $.02
Old 02-14-2005, 03:59 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a LM on my car for a while when it had stock manifoldes and it was loud and annoying. So when I put LT's on I got the hooker catback and the car sounds great. I love it. Performance increase? I can't tell just from the catback because we did the whole exhaust at the same time but you might notice a difference. The only real way is take it to the track before and after.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Generally, Catbacks are not going to produce much hp increase. It's all about the sound, and I am very happy with the Hooker catback sound
Old 02-14-2005, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hooker cat-back on an otherwise mostly stock LS1 is VERY quiet at idle (about like stock), quiet with no drone at part-throttle/cruise, and has a nice, but not overpowering roar at WOT. With LT headers, stays fairly similar at idle and in the lower rpm range, but gets a LOT louder at full throttle. One of the few cat-back systems out there that actually sounds better with headers IMO.

Performance gain will be around 10rwhp or so on your car...

Definitely a good buy for the price,

Mike
Old 02-14-2005, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hooker sounds awesome through headers and ory, no other catback can compare.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:29 PM
TECH Addict

i have the hooker with lts and ory also and love the sound.not annoying at idle or cruise but when the revs climb at wot it sounds great.i have heard this system is very free flowing also,you will be pleased.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the input,sounds like what I was hoping to hear.Good product at a good price.My other choice was tsp rumbler cat-back(also decent from what I have heard and read).IMO rumbler didn't sound as deep and sounded a little raspy? compared to hooker.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

The Hooker sounds great. Saturday night I got to hear it on a stock Z28 and a FULLY moded Z.... Extreamly nice. Am getting mine in 2 weeks.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:11 PM
Bad Seller Warning!

I got one behind Pacesetter LT's and ORY and it sounds very good,on stock manifolds it is not much louder than stock just deeper,I had a Rumbler on my car before the Hooker and it only stayed on for one week,well made system but sounded like **** IMO.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

I'm about to install a set of hooker LT's and a Y on my car.
I have a flowmaster (non catback. just the muffler). if you want, i can record a clip with my cell fone (video\audio) and send it to you prolly monday. (next monday. not the 14th )
Old 02-14-2005, 10:11 PM
11 Second Club

I have it on my car and i love it. Its quite at idle, and sounds bad **** at wot......