Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will a car with LT's pass visual emission inspection in VA?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 10:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will a car with LT's pass visual emission inspection in VA?

I live in Virginia where the emissions inspection includes a visual inspection. If you have LT's with a catted Y-pipe the cats are relocated from their stock location. Will this pass emissions in VA? I was told that in VA any time you relocate the cats from their factory locations they wont pass. Input?
Old 02-15-2005, 10:51 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Martingale
I was told that in VA any time you relocate the cats from their factory locations they wont pass. Input?
This is 100% correct from a federal standpoint, which is why any state can enforce it should they choose. For states that do a visual inspection, it makes dectecting this very easy if they are strict. As for VA specifically, I can't really say since I don't know anyone from there. This is certainly an issue for the CA people though, unless they find other ways around the issue like an extremely lax shop or money accidently dropping from their pocket when walking in the door.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The inspection place did a visual on my car and it passed. They looked at the exhaust to make sure it had cats.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:06 AM
TECH Addict

I think it depends on how knowledgable the inspector is. Since most techs don't know how to diagnose or fix crap, it probably will. Technically, it should not.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blacker
The inspection place did a visual on my car and it passed. They looked at the exhaust to make sure it had cats.
I think here in VA they are more concerned if you have cats or not. There are quite a bit inspectors that dont know what there looking at/for as well.

Also, I am pretty sure you can fail a state inspection if you dont have cats.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:20 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Martingale, you should check out www.easternfbody.com. I asked some similar questions over there and plenty of people chimed in to help me out. There's also 2 f-body meets this sunday; one in Northern VA, and another in Southern VA, if you're interested.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you take you car in for an inspection, more than likely it will pass if you have the cats on there and you aren't throwing any codes.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Martingale
I live in Virginia where the emissions inspection includes a visual inspection. If you have LT's with a catted Y-pipe the cats are relocated from their stock location. Will this pass emissions in VA? I was told that in VA any time you relocate the cats from their factory locations they wont pass. Input?
What part of Virginia are you talking about? I've heard that up north here (Fairfax, Alexandria, Arlington, etc) they're less forgiving than other areas of the state.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just got my car inspected/emissions and all they did was the sniffer/dyno test. Never put my car up on a lift or even checked under the car. The guy looked around my engine a bit but that's about all. He and his buddies were more involved in complimenting me on my ride However, they also said that in the next few months they will be moving to OBDII instead of sniffer, so as long as long as there aren't any codes thrown you will pass. This makes me extremely happy now that I'll be able to run longtubes and get away with it with a good tune and some deleted codes
Old 02-16-2005, 12:03 PM
TECH Regular

Man i made a thread about this 2 seconds before you did, how weird? My post was about Lt's in VA, and passing the sniffer. I'm in Fairfax and wonder the same thing, obviously gotta go catted-y. -Q- how do you like your pacesetters? any problems? dyno them? where did you go dyno in VA/how much?
Old 02-16-2005, 12:41 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mc01ta
Man i made a thread about this 2 seconds before you did, how weird? My post was about Lt's in VA, and passing the sniffer. I'm in Fairfax and wonder the same thing, obviously gotta go catted-y. -Q- how do you like your pacesetters? any problems? dyno them? where did you go dyno in VA/how much?
Love the Pacesetters, no problems whatsoever with them or the TSP catted-Y. I did dyno them after installation, put 343hp and 357tq down, but that was my 6th out of 6 straight pulls so the engine was hot as hell. Figure around 350hp and 365tq on a cool motor. That was about a 30hp/30tq gain over stock. Got it dyno'd at my brother's shop in Decatur, AL though. I can let you check them out some time if you want to see/hear it.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:43 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
I just got my car inspected/emissions and all they did was the sniffer/dyno test. Never put my car up on a lift or even checked under the car. The guy looked around my engine a bit but that's about all. He and his buddies were more involved in complimenting me on my ride However, they also said that in the next few months they will be moving to OBDII instead of sniffer, so as long as long as there aren't any codes thrown you will pass. This makes me extremely happy now that I'll be able to run longtubes and get away with it with a good tune and some deleted codes
Where in Alexandria did you go?

And on a side note, do any of you NoVA guys know a good place to go to get the safety inspection? I have window tint and don't want to get dinged for it. Thanks
Old 02-16-2005, 12:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

I went to a Chevron on Route 1 by the McDonald's on the corner of Cooper Road and route 1. The guy's name was "Downs", or at least that's what his name tag said. Are you familiar with that area?

Also, anyone that is trying to dyno, we are trying to set up a dyno day on the EFA forums. Let me know if u're interested.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:54 PM
TECH Regular

I just got my state inspection at Rosslyn Tires off of Lee Highway. They are a good place to deal with, got a killer deal on my tires from them a while back. I have dark windows, black trans am, not problema. -Q- I'd love to see those pacesetter etc., we should swap #'s, I know a few cool fbody guys here in Fairfax.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:56 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Are any of you guys going to the meet on Sunday at Hooters in Woodbridge? I'm going as long as the weather is OK.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Nah, I can't make it this Sunday, gonna be in Hilton Head with some buddies. But hey, I'm gonna be doin a cam swap around March 13 if yall wanna come hang out/help
Old 02-16-2005, 01:11 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I'm down as long as nothing comes up and you'll help me with my cam swap when I get it

Which cam are you getting?
Old 02-16-2005, 01:11 PM
TECH Regular

i'm down for the cam swap to hang out, i've never done one, would be interested in learning/helping out. What cam are you going with? I can't make this sunday either, flying to Texas friday.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

I went with the TR224 seeing as that's the biggest that I'm willing to take my chances on with the way emissions is around here. I'll also be putting in LS6 intake, ported TB, ported LS6 oil pump and a double roller set. However, my credit cards were recently stolen, so I've been waiting on getting that money back for the longest time so that I can buy these other things for the swap Once I get everything together it should be quite the adventure. I'm using a family friend's garage who basically has most things known to man. He's a cool guy and def knows his ****.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:04 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Good deal. I'm looking at the same cam, but I'm also considering the GT2-3. I'll be curious to see how the install goes. Are you getting it tuned afterwards?