Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

for all those: who were considering a bullet muffler on the end of there y, some info

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 05:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default for all those: who were considering a bullet muffler on the end of there y, some info

i called jeggs and got some useful info.... Then i measured it off on a 98 t/a, and a 2002 z28, both are currently on jacks lol, both were the same.. the t/a has a loudmouth currently so it was a lil easier to picture the end result in my mind with the resonator already being on there. if u were thinking about putting a bullet or xr1 borla bullet or similar on ur car at the end of your y pipe and running a turndown.. well here ya go

if ur running a 3 inch y pipe the dynomax cheapo bullet will only hang 1/2 an inch lower and 1/2 half an inch higher as its 4 inches "tall"... the turndown i have doesn't hang lower the the bullet.. so i gave up about 1/2 inch of ground clearance... this is the exact same setup as the loudmouth.. though im going to put the bullet further up the pipe so i can fit the turndown on.

the 18 inch will be the same just 6 inches longer.. 22 inches in total length.. looks like u will have about 8-10 inches to spare still length wise!

the borla is about 16 inches in total length with stainless steel packing and is supposedly a quieter better deeper sound then the cheapo bullet... it is 4.5 inches, so it will be 3/4 of an inch bigger on the bottome and the top then ur y pipe.. so figure ur only going to give up 3/4 of an inch, have straight thru performance and a good sound.. this is the muffler that they swap into the loudmouth system for a better sound, but ill just be sticking a turndown on the end.. should be the same though.

either way it can be done and is a great alternative to those wanting to lose the wieght of there catback but dont have clearance or $$$ for duals

the cheapo bullet setup can be had in etiher 12 or 18 inches for around 50$ total.. the borla bullet xr1 will run about 140 with turndown from jegs.

hope this helps i had recieved a few pms and figured id post up.

cliffnotes: it will fit and do the job great!
Old 02-16-2005, 06:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Good deal. I have been debating on what to do with the exhaust. It will probably be a month or so till I get the H/C swap done, no big hurry, and I have went from using a Y pipe and magnaflow muffler with an electric cutout to just y pipe with pro flo or borla xr1 with turndown before the axel. Seems to me for ease of install, price sound and still having the ability to use a floor mounted tq arm, can be done with true duals and x pipe but takes a little work. I figure my car with H/C, bolt ons and all put together on a good day will make about 450 rwhp, so probably LT,s and ypipe with a straight through muffler will handle all that just fine. I have heard many differnt true dual setups in person, sound is great, but those things are so freakin loud, in many cases just a little quieter than open headers. JUst my o2. Thanks for the writeup!
Old 02-16-2005, 07:28 PM
11 Second Club

oh another thing i learned today.. autozone has turndowns for like 4$ available in many angles from like a 90 bend to a more flat turndown for ground clearance.. they beat the hell outta the 20-30$ ones from jegs catalog and look to be the same thing.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:54 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1_PNYTAMR
oh another thing i learned today.. autozone has turndowns for like 4$ available in many angles from like a 90 bend to a more flat turndown for ground clearance.. they beat the hell outta the 20-30$ ones from jegs catalog and look to be the same thing.

Hey bud, thanks for replying to my PM last week.

IYO do you think there are any performance decreases by using the Borla over the Bullet, or just running straight pipe with dumps?
Old 02-17-2005, 02:35 PM
12 Second Club

Both the bullet and borla flow very very well. I would go wtih the borla for the sound reduction and sound.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by black_z
Both the bullet and borla flow very very well. I would go wtih the borla for the sound reduction and sound.
Thanks...I think I will be going that route
Old 02-17-2005, 05:07 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by kcshaner
Hey bud, thanks for replying to my PM last week.

IYO do you think there are any performance decreases by using the Borla over the Bullet, or just running straight pipe with dumps?

i honestly dont feel either muffler would hurt dyno or track #'s vs just having a straight pipe with a turndown or having a borla on the end of the pipe with a turndown.. im going with borla cuase it has stainless steel packing, better sound, and will prolly last longer, u get what u pay for, both will work good tho.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:29 PM
12 Second Club

Does anything think that for high HP applications, ie. H/C, that 3.5" XR1 with a turndown would benefit more then a 3" with a turndown? I may go this route also with my H/C SS, please post up pics and sound clips when your done!
Old 02-17-2005, 05:51 PM
dug
Banned

The 3.5" muffler does flow more than the 3" one. Or you could go with a 3.5" dynomax bullet. It is 5" in diameter like the borla.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:24 PM
12 Second Club

I know it should flow better, but what about back pressure, would that be a problem with a 3.5" XR1 dumped?
Old 02-17-2005, 09:33 PM
11 Second Club

im getting a 3 inch pro-flow twister.. 4 inch case like the bullet.. identical to the moroso spiral flow copycat version, with shipping it is 51$ should be ever bit as quiet as the borla xr1 since its not completely straight thru.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:39 PM
11 Second Club

this is the link to what i got....http://www.completeexhaust.com/produ...products_id=75 a guy on here talked me into them. said lanes performance dynoed this, a xr1, and a bullet and they dynoed the same on his car. i also heard a clip of them and they sound really mean but not really loud at idle ect. that and my 5$ turndown from autozone has cost me a grand total of about 56$+ prolly 40 more to have ti all put together.. i have a vid camera and will take clips but it will prolly be a few weeks.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:27 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Has anyone looked at Magnaflow? This sounds like a good way to cut 50 lbs but I do not want the car any louder than it is today. With my cam and ATR cat back it is at the limit of what I think is police safe.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:10 AM
11 Second Club

the borla is 4.5 inches in the diameter....

a magnaflow, hmm.. the round ones are like 6 inches round or something are they not? not sure how much clearance or if it would fit.. i dont know about the lil squarish ones.. id suspect u'd need to go duals if u went with those, one might choke ur exhaust down.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:23 AM
dug
Banned

Magnaflow makes an offset in middle out oval muffler. Its 4"x9". It might fit.
Old 02-18-2005, 04:12 PM
11 Second Club

i think it woudl fit.. they use those mufflers in x pipe dual setups. the question is will one of them flow well enuff.. i didn't go with sweet thunder just b/c im sure with two of them and dual exhaust it would flow, but with one it prolly woudn't outdo my catback, so what would the point be.