Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF! cooling problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 12:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question WTF! cooling problem

Sup guys, I noticed recently that my temp has been running a little hotter than it used to so I figured I would change the coolant and see how it looked. Well it looked good and i drained it anyways. So I replaced it with all fresh stuff and put about 1/2 gallon of antifreeze in it which filled it up? I thought that was a little weird so I run the car and it runs fine doesn't overheat or anything. But now for some strange reason I am getting massive amounts of water lose from the radiator. I have filled this thing up with at least 2 8 oz bottles of water of the last 3 days. I checked my oil and changed it the same day it is not milky or anything and with the car turned off or running I don't see any leaks. The car doesn't smoke or anything I can't figure out wtf is going on. I am getting a little nervous having to put that much water in it everyday. Maybe it had an air pocket in it from the change and couldn't fill up with much or something but i mean over 24 oz of water within 3 days I mean comeon. Temp seems to rise extremly fast when idleing but it never reaches over 200 it will sit right at 200 for a long time without ever going over. WTFING HELL! Help!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-28-2005, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

What process did you use when you refilled the cooling system after draining it?
Old 02-28-2005, 02:20 PM
TECH Regular

I just closed the petcock valve and poured coolant into the top of the radiator. When it got full I put the cap on and let the car run. That's the procedure I have always used.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You also have to watch out how fast you pour the coolant in after it gets close to full. If you pour too fast, you WILL get air pockets in the hoses that run to the TB and in other places. After it gets close to full let it set for a couple of minutes then pour a little bit every minute VERY SLOWLY to make sure that it doesn't get any air pockets. I got a few air pockets when I replaced my water temp therm and I had hell getting them out. After I did, my coolant temp was stable.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:42 PM
Teching In

Sounds like you have a bunch of air pockets in your cooling system. I know there's a procedure for bleeding the air out when you fill it, but I'll have to look for it (unless some one beats me to it).
Old 02-28-2005, 07:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Start with a cold engine. Remove the radiator cap and start the car, as the car warms up and the thermostat opens, you'll start to notice some circulation in the radiator, you should also see the coolant level in the radiator drop as air in the block gets pushed through the system and back into the radiator. Keep the car idling and give it some easy revs (too high and you'll shoot water out the top of the radiator) until you no longer see any bubbles rising to the top and the coolant level remains constant. When the coolant level is stable, or begins to gradually rise, replace the car and you're good. You can check it again at later when it's cold by removing the cap. Have fun.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah...what he said.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:30 AM
TECH Regular

Okay this is really pissing me off now. I did exactly what PeteSS said to do and it worked great. I fill it up then start driving down the road. Within 20 miles my low coolant light came on. I check the coolant and guess what very low coolant. Like WTF i just filled this bitch 15 minutes ago no way could it burn through that. I looked around and found no leaks. My exhaust doesn't smoke or nothin so I can't have a head gasket gone. I get under the car while its running and I see nothing leaking or running. I am at a total lose here I con't know what to do now. I am getting a little tired of putting 16 oz of water in this thing every 50 miles. Has this ever happened to anyone before?
Old 03-01-2005, 11:00 AM
TECH Addict

It's a real bitch to get the air bled from the system. It's the air that's causing you grief. Try pulling the small hose from the throttle body off the radiator and let the air rise from the system. When the air stops and nothing but coolant flows from that hose, reconnect it and make sure you're topped off.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Is your petcock valve close all the way? Your leak could be here and with the way the valve hangs, it could drip directly to the ground and leave no signs of a leak on parts in your eng. bay. I only suggest checking this because mine was a bitch to get to stop leaking. Also when you fill it up, it has to be COMPLETELY full. Just behind and under your radiator cap, there should be a hose running to the TB or something. This hose can hold air too. Fill it up past the hose and wait a minute for the air to run out before starting the engine. You should be able to start it then and work out all the air bubbles. After starting and lightly revving like PeteSS said, check your level again and you should be able to add a little more still. Repeat this until the fluid level doesn't decrease between fills.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:02 PM
TECH Regular

im going to check that SOB petcock valve again and see what happens. But i find it damn funny how it can leak that slowly but yet it drains 16oz water in 50 miles. Maybe i torque on it to hard and fucked something up. Is there like a seal for that petcock valve I can replace or something. And it just came to me that I may have a leak on the passengers side head where the allen head bolt goes in. This bolt is there because a sensor is screwed in there if its on the drivers side. Im wondering if it could be leaking from there that's about the only option I have left right now. Also does anyone know where I can get some block off plates for my air pipes. Im going to remove this **** later this week and see if i can fix my vacuum leak with it.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:42 PM
TECH Regular

if u are having trouble bleeding the air remove your thermostat and drill a small hole in it fore a bypass, 1/8 is fine it will bleed itself at idle. i have the hole, guess how long i bled my cooling system for. i didnt. if u do it right u will see coolant shooting into the radiator(cap has to be off) from the throttle body hose with the car running. have fun

Last edited by fast98; 03-01-2005 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:59 PM
10 Second Club

I see you did the TB bypass. Did you run the small hose from the head straight to the radiator, or plug it? If the answer is plugged, there is your problem. That line "burps" the engine when you are filling it. I have seen guys just leave it open to fill the radiator.

Quick Reply: WTF! cooling problem