Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP Longtubes on a lowered car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 03:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP Longtubes on a lowered car?

Hi guys. This spring I'm planning on putting a set of Eibach sportline spring on my camaro. The only thing that is really holding me back is my SLP headers. I constantly hear about how low they hang and that they are always scraping the ground and so on. Well as of 21,000 miles on my car I can't remember a singe time I have bottomed my car out. Also I own a lift and I'm always checking under the car and oil changes ext. and there isn't a singe scratch on the headers. So my question is, if I lower my car which will be about 1 1/4 I think, will I really run into that many problems? Also my car isn't a daily driver and I deffently don't run into any "off road" excursions with it either. Any responses will be appreciated.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I want to lower my car, but I have SLP's too. I'm not lowering until I get different headers. Then again, my car is a daily driver and I scrape all the time.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I scraped my SLP LT's when I had my Hotchkis spring's on and they were only suppose to drop the car 1" but it was really closer to 2" and I was running Bilstein shock's too and mines not a daily driver either so it doesn't see alot of parking lots or step drives just back roads and some twisties. I think if you get a good shock that dampens the springs you get and just drop the car 1" you should be ok.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is not a daily driver...not even close. My SS is equipped with the Bilstein Ultra suspension package, which lowers the car about an inch. When I had my SLPs on, they drug on every speed bump (3 just to get in or out of my plan) and they would drag on the small upslope into my driveway. No matter how slowly I creeped or what angle I approached, they would drag...I can say, without exaggeration, that I am amazed at how much better my new Kooks headers tuck up to the unibody and offer nearly stock ground clearance...
Old 03-10-2005, 10:02 PM
Teching In

I guess I'll go ahead and get the springs and see what happens. Hopefully nothing to bad happens though. Thanks for the info guys.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:05 PM
10 Second Club

Yes it will make a difference. They will drag.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:59 AM
On The Tree

Just to let you know that those springs are alot lower than an inch, it is more like 2-2.5! I have Pacesetter lts and have never scraped anything with them but I also don't drive like an idiot either,lol. I wish I would have gone with the pro kit because the ride SUCKS with the sportlines even though the car looks sweet.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:17 AM
12 Second Club

I have the Eibach Pro Kit which is supposed to be a 1 to 1-1/2" drop.
When I was deciding on what headers to buy just about everybody I talked to and most the replies I got here were to bascially avoid the SLP long tubes. I ended up buying Pacesetters which are supposed to tuck up nicely.
Worst case you can go back to the stock springs or get some new headers.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, my Pacesetters tuck up really nice and tight against the body.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:19 PM
Staging Lane

i have slp lt's and lowered my car an inch. ground clearance is now 2 1/2". forget about trying speed bumps. I have pacesetters at home waiting to go in now.