Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rattling

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 12:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation rattling and another question

Hey guys. After I put on my LTs and ORY I hear a little rattle from under the car. I believe it might be the heat shields getting vibration from the headers. Has anyone else had this problem? If so did you guys take teh heat shields off to make it stop?

Also I took off the A.I.R. tubes and have the plates blocked off on my headers. Is this going to have any effects that I should know about? I read the sticky and the links do not work now. Can I delete the A.I.R. with a baisc PCM tune. I am getting that done on the 23rd.

Thanks.

Last edited by SgtB; 03-13-2005 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-13-2005, 04:46 PM
10 Second Club

No has had this rattling problem?
Old 03-13-2005, 04:48 PM
TECH Resident

i had a rattle where my merge collector met with the I-pipe. i had it welded to fix the problem.

basic tune should take care of the AIR codes.
Old 03-13-2005, 05:23 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NviouSS
i had a rattle where my merge collector met with the I-pipe. i had it welded to fix the problem.

basic tune should take care of the AIR codes.
I also pulled the A.I.R. tubes off and have two open holes with air coming out. Should I block those off with a bolt or something?
Old 03-13-2005, 06:12 PM
TECH Resident

put block off plates where whe AIR tubs should go. i have race style headers so i didin't have to get the block off plates.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:43 AM
10 Second Club

those are bolcked off on the headers already. I guess I misphrased that. What I mean is what do I do with the actual A.I.R. tubes?
Old 03-14-2005, 11:36 AM
TECH Resident

so you're saying that you took the tubes off but still have the AIR pump on the car?
Old 03-14-2005, 12:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

yea.....no **** you're havin rattin problems bud!!

you need to yank that air pump and the associated tubing out of the car, and then plug off the little vacuum line connection on to top right hand side of the intake. i forget where to find the best how-to to do this process, check out the how-to collection thread in the enthusiasts section.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:25 PM
10 Second Club

Yeah you need to remove that pump and plug the vacuum line
Old 03-14-2005, 12:29 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
yea.....no **** you're havin rattin problems bud!!

you need to yank that air pump and the associated tubing out of the car, and then plug off the little vacuum line connection on to top right hand side of the intake. i forget where to find the best how-to to do this process, check out the how-to collection thread in the enthusiasts section.
The rattling is from underneath the car.
Where is the AIR pump?
Old 03-14-2005, 12:50 PM
TECH Resident

the AIR pump is behind the drivers headlight. it's held in with 4 bolts.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:13 PM
10 Second Club

Is it necessary to remove this or can it stay on and just delete it with the tune?
Old 03-14-2005, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

why would you want to leave 15lbs of dead weight on your car?

yank it. it cleans up your engine bay and is weight savings. its easy to do, GM even designed an access panel right under the AIR pump to service it.....makes for easy removal. tuning it will turn it off yea....but won't stop it from flopping around in the engine bay.

BUT, since you said its under your car, try re-working how your y-pipe fits together and see what happens. many people have to fiddle with their setup before they finally get it where they need it to not rattle/bang. remove all the heat shields you can, they really don't serve a purpose other than to collect heat instead of the bottom of your car.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:27 PM
TECH Resident

LOL why did you block it if you still have the pump on there?
Old 03-14-2005, 01:30 PM
10 Second Club

The AIR fitting on the passenger side header is 90 degrees off thats why I took them off. So I can take it off or leave it on and just plug it up with bolts. OK.
Most likely I will remove it then if its that easy to get off.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a rattling problem when I installed my SLP y-pipe and Hooker Catback. The source of the rattle turned out to be the connection between the y-pipe and I-pipe. I was still using the stock band clamp and I realized that even though it seemed tight, it wasn't crushing the I-pipe enough(probably because the stock one was slotted and the Hooker is solid). I resorted to tightening the clamp with a breaker bar and hoping I wouln't strip it out. That did the trick. I plan on replacing the stock clamp, but it hasn't loosened up yet. You can try this, but be prepared to buy a new/different clamp, that stock one sucks.

As for the AIR system, why would you want to leave it on It's just excess weight, drag on the engine, and clutter in the engine compartment. You should be able to just unplug any electrical connections and block off any possible sources of vacuum leaks and have it removed in the tune. You probably need a smaller belt too - this may be a good time to do underdrive pulleys while you're at it! Lots of people have removed their AIR system, so there should be some good instructions/tips/parts list on the web somewhere. Good Luck.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:43 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by peteZ
I had a rattling problem when I installed my SLP y-pipe and Hooker Catback. The source of the rattle turned out to be the connection between the y-pipe and I-pipe. I was still using the stock band clamp and I realized that even though it seemed tight, it wasn't crushing the I-pipe enough(probably because the stock one was slotted and the Hooker is solid). I resorted to tightening the clamp with a breaker bar and hoping I wouln't strip it out. That did the trick. I plan on replacing the stock clamp, but it hasn't loosened up yet. You can try this, but be prepared to buy a new/different clamp, that stock one sucks.

As for the AIR system, why would you want to leave it on It's just excess weight, drag on the engine, and clutter in the engine compartment. You should be able to just unplug any electrical connections and block off any possible sources of vacuum leaks and have it removed in the tune. You probably need a smaller belt too - this may be a good time to do underdrive pulleys while you're at it! Lots of people have removed their AIR system, so there should be some good instructions/tips/parts list on the web somewhere. Good Luck.
The rattling seems to be from around the area where the engine and trans bolts up so I am assuming that it is the Ypipe rattling the heatshields.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

ypipe on the tq arm probably.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by peteZ
You probably need a smaller belt too - this may be a good time to do underdrive pulleys while you're at it! Lots of people have removed their AIR system, so there should be some good instructions/tips/parts list on the web somewhere. Good Luck.
You do not need a new belt after taking the AIR system out.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:21 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Keenov
You do not need a new belt after taking the AIR system out.
Now I am freaking confused. I guess I will have to look at it myself