Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP radiator Bubbling and often steams when i turn off car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 12:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP radiator Bubbling and often steams when i turn off car?

I just installed my SLP High Capacity Radiator to the camaro a few Weeks ago. i didnt have a probelem at first until i drove it for a while i starting to hear all my antifreeze start Boiling loud. so it does that every time the thing i dont like it that sometimes it seems like the antifreeze is burning or something because smoke starts coming out of the Resignator (sp). My car doesnt over heat or anything but this is becoming a nuisence. How can i fix this problem
Old 05-15-2005, 12:55 PM
TECH Resident

you have air in the system
Old 05-15-2005, 01:14 PM
FormerVendor

Make sure the hose from the TB and the overflow arent swapped. I made this same misktake when i did my radiator
Old 05-15-2005, 01:20 PM
TECH Veteran

sounds like you have steam pockets
Old 05-15-2005, 02:24 PM
Launching!

Damnit. Thanks guys. How can i fix this problem?
Old 05-15-2005, 02:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well to bleed the system of air when I changed my coolant, I ran the car w/o the radiator cap, and had my bro rev the engine. I kept the level of the coolant above the line that came from the TB. As he revved up and down, I just kept adding coolant. Seemed to work well - no overheating during the summer!

Also, it wouldn't hurt to repace the radiator cap. They suck on our cars.
Old 05-15-2005, 03:36 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Did you install a new radiator cap at the same time? If not try that a new one, sometimes the old rubber seal doesn't mate up to the new plastic very well and will not hold pressure. (it won't leak at the cap, just perculate in the overflow)
Old 05-15-2005, 05:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by -Joseph-
Did you install a new radiator cap at the same time? If not try that a new one, sometimes the old rubber seal doesn't mate up to the new plastic very well and will not hold pressure. (it won't leak at the cap, just perculate in the overflow)
The smoke is not coming out of the Raditor itself but fro the Resignator on the side by the Battery. My temps r fine. nothing hotter then 1/2. can this led to other problems?
Old 05-15-2005, 06:12 PM
FormerVendor

Check to make sure you havent swapped the coolant lines for the TB return and the resovoiur return. This caused the same issue on my car after a radiator swap. Just trace the lines from the TB if it is on the top inlet on the radiator neck it is wrong and this is where your problem is....

What is happening if this is the case is cooland comming from the tb isnt pressurized and the system is basically open. When the car sit and gets hot the water comming from the TB is pumped into the resovouir until it fills and starts steamng. I drove around with the heat on in the summer because of this