Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electric cutout?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 01:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electric cutout?

electric cutout? what is this exactly? i've been reading about exhaust because i'm considering getting the slp loudmouth. but i'd like something that i could easilly make quiter if need be. is this what an electric cutout is?
Old 05-31-2005, 02:18 AM
TECH Regular

a electric cut out is something u can weld along ur exhaust somehwere and it bypasses out through the cut out instead of along the whole exhaust. and with the electric ones u can just push a button to open and close it. and i have loud mouth with a cut out and i love it

anthony
Old 05-31-2005, 06:57 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here ya go http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/QTEC/index.html
Old 05-31-2005, 08:06 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It won't make the exhaust quieter. It gives you the
option of making it bugger loud and freer-flowing.

If you still have stock cats then expect minimal gains,
the cats are a significant restriction and I saw only
a few lb-ft of of torque and only at the top end.

But you can't overlook the amusement value.

Many posts here about cutouts including my install
and "poor man's dyno" results.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:14 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the help. Does anyone have any opinions on what the stock exhaust sounds like with the cutout open?
Old 05-31-2005, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by royalcrown
Thanks for the help. Does anyone have any opinions on what the stock exhaust sounds like with the cutout open?
anyone know? i'm really curious. I want to get a louder exhaust but want to be fairly quiet at times? Has anyone ever had a cutout on a stock exhaust? How's it sound with the cutout wide open?

Thanks
Old 06-01-2005, 01:43 AM
TECH Regular

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

LS1sounds.com
Old 06-01-2005, 01:45 AM
TECH Regular

check ls1sounds.com should cheer ya up

ah shucks too late

Last edited by Chris95Z; 06-01-2005 at 01:46 AM. Reason: beat me to it
Old 06-01-2005, 01:59 AM
TECH Regular

Assuming a stock exhaust and limited funds, I wouldnt spend the money an an electric, go w/ the manual until you have your car/exhaust planned out.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:51 AM
Launching!

a manual cut out might run you about 30-40 bucks plus what they charge to weld it in.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:18 PM
On The Tree

I think i'm gonna go ahead and get the electric cut out. I dont plan on doing any more exhaust modifications. Definately not headers. If anything else, it'd be a catback. I'd like to wire the switch up to where the traction control button is supposed to be located. I dont have it, so it'd be a perfect spot to place the cutout switch.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

I think i'm gonna go ahead and get the electric cut out. I dont plan on doing any more exhaust modifications. Definately not headers. If anything else, it'd be a catback. I'd like to wire the switch up to where the traction control button is supposed to be located. I dont have it, so it'd be a perfect spot to place the cutout switch.
Another perfect spot... Its a secret tho. But i'll let you guys in on it... i bet no one has ever thought of it. I learned it from my buddy scott. Put the switch in your ASH TRAY! Take your ash tray out, drill a hole in the dish tray, and stick your switch in there...if it wont fit then im either gonna change the switch to a smaller one, or just remove the tray all together and make a custom holder for it. This way i won't have to make any holes in my dash, or ruin the car. I plan on Keeping my car as less destroyed as possible. One day they might become a collectors you know!
Old 06-01-2005, 03:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SSrookiekid
Another perfect spot... Its a secret tho. But i'll let you guys in on it... i bet no one has ever thought of it. I learned it from my buddy scott. Put the switch in your ASH TRAY! Take your ash tray out, drill a hole in the dish tray, and stick your switch in there...if it wont fit then im either gonna change the switch to a smaller one, or just remove the tray all together and make a custom holder for it. This way i won't have to make any holes in my dash, or ruin the car. I plan on Keeping my car as less destroyed as possible. One day they might become a collectors you know!
It's no secret. I installed mine in that same location. I bought the MPP2 cut-outs and the switch fit just fine. I had to drill the hole next to the ashtray light. The switch wont fit anywere else.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SSrookiekid

I had the first DMH prototype electric cutout since 2000 and my switch is mounted there the whole time. Along with 2 LED lights, RED for closing. GREEN for opening.
This way I can see what lit up without looking at the switch while driving.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Midnight F-117A

I had the first DMH prototype electric cutout since 2000 and my switch is mounted there the whole time. Along with 2 LED lights, RED for closing. GREEN for opening.
This way I can see what lit up without looking at the switch while driving.
Ok Ok i salute you lol, i didn't know EVERYBODY already knew.. but thx lol
Old 06-01-2005, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heres mine!
Attached Thumbnails electric cutout?-smallrear1.jpg   electric cutout?-smallcut1.jpg   electric cutout?-smallcut2.jpg  
Old 06-02-2005, 08:31 AM
On The Tree

either of you guys have pics of your switch setup?
Old 06-02-2005, 11:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

either of you guys have pics of your switch setup?
Yea, no secret. Pay no attention to the dremel scratches in the ashtray......I've re-painted it. BTW, it's a DMH.

Old 06-03-2005, 01:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default M6HuggerSS

Originally Posted by M6HuggerSS
heres mine!
Hey, M6HuggerSS I see you've got one of those cutouts installed on a car in California. Does that thing pass the emissions test with that thing on there? I was thinking of getting a cutout for mine but was worried they would fail it?
Old 06-03-2005, 09:02 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the pic marine. I'm planning on getting the DMH as well. I'd also like to know how these go over with inspections. I would think that as long as it was closed when you took it in, it'd be okay. I'm not sure how strict my state is. I know you have to have cats here.

Another thing...would it be possible to install the cutout before my cat, in order to gain slightly more power?

thanks!