Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PaceSetter gaskets SUCK!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 02:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PaceSetter gaskets SUCK!

Well I was pretty sure I had an exhaust leak from my header gasket, but couldnt see it no matter how hard I looked. I checked over the rest of the exhaust sytem and there wasnt anything to see. I had to change my plugs due to my last find (see below)

Plug problem

So I figured since it the alleged leak was on the passenger side, and thats the most bitch of a side to change the plugs on, Id take off the header at the same time and check it out for leaks. Well I get the coil pack bracket off the valve cover, remove the wires from the plugs and get all the plugs out, then began taking out the header bolts. Theyre all off and the header is sitting back a bit from the head and I still cant see any problems and right then I was thinking, dont tell me I got some other problem and it wasnt a gasket after all. So I start peeling the gasket off, and pull it up, then low and behold, the lower part of it on a couple cylinders is covered is exhaust and the back one is altogether discintegrated! I definitely couldnt see it without having taken it off and I was then relieved. Got the new plugs in, put a GM OEM multi-layer steel gasket on it and tightened it up good. So far so good, no leaks!

Im going to leave PaceSetter a note telling them that I otherwise find their products good, but they should really just save their customers the headache and stop giving out paper gaskets.

btw, the other paper gasket didnt even make it to the install, it broke on me before it even got put on! I then ordered just 1 OEM gasket from a dealership and felt bad about it, thinking it would never last, little did I know, all the people Ive talked to about it have done the same thing and everyone recommends the GM gaskets.

So to anyone that has problems or to save you some headaches, dont put paper gaskets on, get some good steel ones or just goto the dealer, I paid 20.50$ a gasket. More than worth it.
Attached Thumbnails PaceSetter gaskets SUCK!-gasket01.jpg  
Old 06-22-2005, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

yep i through mine away as soon as i opened the box....i reused my old ones
Old 06-22-2005, 03:54 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

I didn't even consider using the Pacesetter gaskets. Got a new set of stock gaskets from my local dealership and have no problems yet. I do personally know of one other person who has had the same problem with the Pacesetter gaskets. They should send stock gaskets with their headers and save everyone some trouble.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I also never installed the paper gaskets, you get what you pay for, and frantly I liked the good price, that is one reason the are cheaper, if you buy a set of KOOKS a can tell you you are not making your own o2 extentions either, but other than that the headers are sweet.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:06 PM
11 Second Club

Mine sucked too but it is an easy fix
Old 06-22-2005, 04:30 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by josh99ta
I didn't even consider using the Pacesetter gaskets. Got a new set of stock gaskets from my local dealership and have no problems yet. I do personally know of one other person who has had the same problem with the Pacesetter gaskets. They should send stock gaskets with their headers and save everyone some trouble.

AGREED!
Old 06-22-2005, 04:33 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by daryl2cb@yahoo.com
I also never installed the paper gaskets, you get what you pay for, and frantly I liked the good price, that is one reason the are cheaper, if you buy a set of KOOKS a can tell you you are not making your own o2 extentions either, but other than that the headers are sweet.
Youre right, that was another issue I had with them, I didnt like the idea of making my own o2 extensions but I did it. If I would have known that ahead of time I would of ordered some and had them ready to go.

I do like my headers and Y-pipe, just a couple little corners were skipped and are a bit of a pain in the ****!
Old 06-22-2005, 04:34 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by camaro98z28
Mine sucked too but it is an easy fix

Yeh, it just was annoying driving around for a bit sounding like a Civic
Old 06-22-2005, 04:41 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by aNuBiS
Yeh, it just was annoying driving around for a bit sounding like a Civic
Mine sounded like I was a heavy duty Spitball machine
Old 06-22-2005, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

percy's seal 4 good for me
Old 06-22-2005, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should have done your homework before install. Everyone will tell you either reuse your oldgasket or buy new gm gaskets.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:51 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by KrazyDan
you should have done your homework before install. Everyone will tell you either reuse your oldgasket or buy new gm gaskets.
I always do my homework before a mod install but headers are a pretty straight forward install and I assumed they wouldnt give a gasket that would give people problems. Either way, its done now and Im passing on the info.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I just installed my pacesetters also and used the included gasket. I figured they would give a gasket that would work well with their headers.

In the last 2 days is the only time I've seen posts about not using these gaskets. I questioned them to myself but put em on anyway. Time will tell how long they last. I guess it isn't hard to change the gasket except I have those locking bolts and those are a PITA to get the clips on and off.

Brian
Old 06-23-2005, 02:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I screwed up and forgot to get good gaskets when I put mine in. Didn't want to wait, so I heavily coated the paper gaskets with that aerosol copper header gasket sealant. Eight months, so far so good. I know I'll have to change'em sooner or later, but it's working for now.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:20 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00PewterSS
I just installed my pacesetters also and used the included gasket. I figured they would give a gasket that would work well with their headers.

In the last 2 days is the only time I've seen posts about not using these gaskets. I questioned them to myself but put em on anyway. Time will tell how long they last. I guess it isn't hard to change the gasket except I have those locking bolts and those are a PITA to get the clips on and off.

Brian
Exactly what I figured, they would give a gasket that is better than OEM. Who knew.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:20 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SStillSSmokin
I screwed up and forgot to get good gaskets when I put mine in. Didn't want to wait, so I heavily coated the paper gaskets with that aerosol copper header gasket sealant. Eight months, so far so good. I know I'll have to change'em sooner or later, but it's working for now.

Good to hear, atleast youre one step up over stock.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:08 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyDan
bingo
Old 06-23-2005, 11:44 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, everyone should be sure to use stock gaskets when installing headers. Either re-use old ones or buy new GM ones. Glad you know that now.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

I dont plan on useing a 'paper' gasket for a header gasket either. lol.

Quick Reply: PaceSetter gaskets SUCK!