Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thermostat Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 10:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermostat Help

I am going to buy a new 160 thermostat to replace the stocker. I went to Oreillys and the guy said to put in a 160 they had on the shelf. It is just a plain thermostat. Will this work or would it be better to buy the hypertech? I noticed the hypertechs are pictured with a housing. Does it come witha new housing and is it necessary? Or could i just put in a new thermostat?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 07-26-2005, 11:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The guy at Oreilly's is a moron and thinks LS1s use old school thermostats. You will need the one with the housing made by MotoRad and repackaged by Hypertech and others that sell them. If you have the new style GM replacement waterpump, you would need the new style thermostat without the housing, but it is still not the old school one they have on the shelf.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:36 AM
Teching In

Thanks. Now how do I tell if I have the new style water pump? Also, I am doing a coolant flush at the same time. Is there a way to drain the coolant out of the block or just refill and drain radiator until clear?

Chris
Old 07-27-2005, 11:29 AM
12 Second Club

There is no way to totally drain the block. I pulled everything when doing the heads and still, even when I pulled the heads tons of water came out. So if you must... drain and fill drain and fill as much as you want. I would just do it once unless you think somethings in there.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are not controlling your fans to better
temp setpoint, then you're wasting money on
the "160" thermostat. Odds are, without fan
programming, the thermostat is not in charge
(sitting there full open) except maybe on the
highway.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:33 PM
Teching In

My tuner said he would change it when I put it in otherwise it would run forever until I did and I didn't know how soon I would be changing it. How much coolant is there in the rad and how much in the block? I read somewhere that there is 2 plugs to remove on the block to drain it out of the block, is that true? Also, how do I tell if I have the new water pump?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 07-27-2005, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Anyone?

Chris
Old 07-27-2005, 11:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There is a plug above the starter and one on the front of the block on the driver's side. I've had them in and out with motors out of the car but I've never tried to get at them with the motor in the car. I think you will have to pull the starter to get to the one on the passenger side. I've not looked to access the driver's side one with the motor in the car.
When you remove the t-stat housing, if the housing and and stat come off in one piece, you have the older original t-stat. I thing GM started using the new pump in MY03 or MY04 so if your car is a f-body and the pump has never been changed, you will have the older style pump. The newer style pump is all GM sells now even if you are replacing the older style.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:48 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the help guys! I GOT-ER-DONE!!

Chris