Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

header nightmare continues......

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default header nightmare continues......

some of you may have read my post yesterday of might header install problem (hooker long tubes and O/R pipe, on 98 a4 ta) the car was backfiring and wanted to stall at idle. i checked all the plugs and wires but still had a miss. so i brought it to autozone to have it scanned. got code PO301, P0160, P0140 They guy at auozone said the P0301 was the #1 cylinder misfiring and the other are bank 1 and 2 o2 sensor due to not having them. so i bought a whole set of wires again an changed the #1 plug and wire. I started the car up and it ran a little smoother (didnt feel like it wanted to die at idle, but did feel a mis randomely) i drove it around and it felt ok when i barely had the gas pushed in and when i gave it throttle it started to accelerate then i felt power drop off and it backfired loudly. i did that 3 times and all the same thing. I unplugged the neg on the battery to reset the pcm, then brought it back to autozone for another code check. And the same thing PO301 ( miss on #1 cyl) why would this be doing this? especially after new plug and wire on the num 1 cylinder? does the PO301 only refer to the num 1 cylinder could my coil have somehow gone bad? thanks for all your input
Old 09-24-2005, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Double check your wiring, grounds, etc. The coil didn't go bad. Did you remove the plugs when you did the install?
Old 09-24-2005, 08:20 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Originally Posted by pottskies
some of you may have read my post yesterday of might header install problem (hooker long tubes and O/R pipe, on 98 a4 ta) the car was backfiring and wanted to stall at idle. i checked all the plugs and wires but still had a miss. so i brought it to autozone to have it scanned. got code PO301, P0160, P0140 They guy at auozone said the P0301 was the #1 cylinder misfiring and the other are bank 1 and 2 o2 sensor due to not having them. so i bought a whole set of wires again an changed the #1 plug and wire. I started the car up and it ran a little smoother (didnt feel like it wanted to die at idle, but did feel a mis randomely) i drove it around and it felt ok when i barely had the gas pushed in and when i gave it throttle it started to accelerate then i felt power drop off and it backfired loudly. i did that 3 times and all the same thing. I unplugged the neg on the battery to reset the pcm, then brought it back to autozone for another code check. And the same thing PO301 ( miss on #1 cyl) why would this be doing this? especially after new plug and wire on the num 1 cylinder? does the PO301 only refer to the num 1 cylinder could my coil have somehow gone bad? thanks for all your input
P0140,160 are the rear O2s, I assume you dont have them but it will not affect performance, anyway.
P0301 is the #1 cyl. It's the front drivers' side cylinder. Is that the one you changed?
Old 09-24-2005, 08:21 PM
On The Tree

Default ...

yeah i dont have the rear o2 sensors and i changed the #1 cylinder with a new plug and a new wire. Im so confused...what else would cause the num 1 cylinder to misfire?
Old 09-24-2005, 08:38 PM
TECH Resident

Make sure that you have your wires clear of the headers. If you touched them while you were doing the install you could have shorted them out, or knocked it out of place.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:40 PM
11 Second Club

Make sure the wiring clip to the coil on that cyclinder is pluged in and also make sure the blue saftey clip is pluged in there too. Then check and inspect the spark plug and make sure they are not loose and then make sure you hear a click when you hook the boot to the spark plug and coil pack.

Last edited by LS1FIRE; 09-24-2005 at 08:46 PM.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:46 PM
TECH Resident

Check to see if you have a header leak. That could make the car run like crap.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

Default ....

doesnt sound like i have a leak...would a leak cause a misfire . when i did the header install i took off the wires but not the plugs themselves. i just dont know why its throwing the same code after changing the plug and wire and while in park you can hear the miss every few seconds or so. a header leak wouldnt do that would it?
Old 09-24-2005, 10:54 PM
11 Second Club

doesnt sound like i have a leak...would a leak cause a misfire . when i did the header install i took off the wires but not the plugs themselves. i just dont know why its throwing the same code after changing the plug and wire and while in park you can hear the miss every few seconds or so. a header leak wouldnt do that would it?
Did you reset the ECU after you swaped the plug and changed the wire?
Old 09-25-2005, 07:36 AM
On The Tree

Default ...

how do ireset the ecu? just disconnect the neg on the battery? cause i did that....still has a miss every few seconds. It seems like sometimes it gets spark and sometimes it doesnt?
Old 09-25-2005, 07:58 AM
Staging Lane

I would try swapping the #1 and #3 coils around. If the misfire problem moves to the #3 then you know it's the coil causing the problem. They are very easy to unbolt and swap locations.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:08 AM
FormerVendor

if you didnt remove
Old 09-25-2005, 09:12 AM
FormerVendor

if you didnt remove all of the plugs during your install,I would replace them all even a slight bump with a wrench is enough to crack the delicare porcelian on you plugs,while not easy to see this could be causing some misfires,I wouldnt get caught up with #1 to much untill you change them all out
Old 09-25-2005, 06:37 PM
11 Second Club

how do ireset the ecu? just disconnect the neg on the battery? cause i did that....still has a miss every few seconds. It seems like sometimes it gets spark and sometimes it doesnt?
Do a search because i am not sure. If i remember correctly you pull the ing fuse and the pcmBat fuse withe the key on the ignition and then turn the ignition off then replug the fuses and the ECU shoud be reset.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To Re Set Ecu
1. Turn Key Foward All The Way Do Not Start It
2. Go To Fuse Box Pull Out The Pcm Ing 1st
3 Pull Out The Pcm Batt
4. Check To See If Your Ses Light Went Out If So
5 Wait 3 Min
6. Turn Key Off And Remove It
7. Replace Pcm Batt Then Pcm Ing
8 Start Car It Should Not Idle Very Well For About 3 Driving Cycles

As Far As The Miss Fire Replace Plugs All Of Them Then When You Put Plug Wire In Make Sure They Snapp For A Good Connection