Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

!AIR without going catless?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 01:32 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default !AIR without going catless?

Is retaining the AIR system vital to running a catalytic converter equipped car? I know what the air system does but will not having it damage cats? I want cats to pass emsissions and sound good but, I don't want the AIR system.

Input?
Old 10-19-2005, 06:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

eventually it will clog your cats
Old 10-19-2005, 06:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by joblo1978
Is retaining the AIR system vital to running a catalytic converter equipped car? I know what the air system does but will not having it damage cats? I want cats to pass emsissions and sound good but, I don't want the AIR system.

Input?
are you sure you know what the AIR system does.

According to my findings it pumps air into the CATS to help promote the chemical reaction from the ceramic brick and the exhaust gases. The AIR sytem should only run for the 1st 20 seconds or so after start up. It is done to meet certain emissions criteria and tests.

If you retain the stock CATS and remove the AIR system then the CATS will not perform well enough on start up.

Removing AIR will not give you any HP gain.

The best option would be to replace your existing CATS with some Metal Matrix 7000 series ones from Random Technology. Stock CATS have a low flow rate which causes a power loss, the replacement items from Random Technology flow better than many mufflers. The 3" variant of the 7000 series will not impeed exhaust flow upto over 500bhp. As a bonus they don't require AIR so you can safely remove it.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:49 AM
Banned

What about with the Kooks catted-y? Is AIR necessary with those cats? I believe they're Magnaflow.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:08 AM
TECH Resident

although its only been a few months i havent had any problems with my tsp catted y and no AIR system.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

I took mine off and I have stock cats. But I don't have emissions here though.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:45 PM
Banned

Will it clog the Magnaflow cats or damage them is what I'm getting at, does anyone know?

Just wanting to keep them because I don't particularly car for the sound of an ORY or their sound. I also need to be able to pass a visual and don't want AIR.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by joblo1978
Will it clog the Magnaflow cats or damage them is what I'm getting at, does anyone know?

Just wanting to keep them because I don't particularly car for the sound of an ORY or their sound. I also need to be able to pass a visual and don't want AIR.
If the CATS don't require AIR then you can simply disconnect it. Or rather the replacement CATS will have no where to hook it up. It's then your choice on whether to remove the AIR system from the car or not.

For technical info you'd be better off speaking with the manufacture/retailer of the items you'r whising to purchase.

BTW, why do you want to remove AIR?
Old 10-20-2005, 09:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
If the CATS don't require AIR then you can simply disconnect it. Or rather the replacement CATS will have no where to hook it up. It's then your choice on whether to remove the AIR system from the car or not.

For technical info you'd be better off speaking with the manufacture/retailer of the items you'r whising to purchase.

BTW, why do you want to remove AIR?
For the same reasons others do, looks, weight, ease of maintenance, and less things to go wrong.