Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BBK 80mm TB vs. FAST 78mm TB

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 05:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BBK 80mm TB vs. FAST 78mm TB

I am considering replacing the stock throttle body in my 01 A4 WS6 with one of the two units mentioned above. Anyone have any experiences they want to share? I understand the FAST unit is just about the best you can get, but the expense makes it a little cost prohibitive. On the other hand the BBK is actually just a hair bigger, seems to be of pretty good build quality, and is a lot less moolah. I don't mind paying the extra for the FAST unit if I'll see a marked difference, but I do want to get the best buy for my money I can. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanx guys.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:06 PM
10 Second Club

I heard that some people had problems with their BBK's. Why don't you just get your stock one ported?
Old 10-20-2005, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got the BBK 80mm TB and love it, and never had any problems at all with it ,Its worked perfect fom day one and had it a year now.The only problem you would have with it would be ,you would need to have your computor tuned for extra air going threw it.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:18 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How about neither. I think you'll find that most people who had the BBK didn't like it and I haven't heard anything good about the FAST. IMO, don't buy an aftermarket TB unless you are running a FAST intake. So if you're running a LS1/6 intake, just get a ported stock one.

If you have a FAST intake, take a look at Nick Williams or TPiS.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
How about neither. I think you'll find that most people who had the BBK didn't like it and I haven't heard anything good about the FAST. IMO, don't buy an aftermarket TB unless you are running a FAST intake. So if you're running a LS1/6 intake, just get a ported stock one.

If you have a FAST intake, take a look at Nick Williams or TPiS.
anymore info at all? Justification or reasoning.

Not trying to be a dick, but it always seems on these posts, nah they're crap just port you stock one attitude.

How much air does a well ported stock TB flow in comparison to either of the others mentioned?

Does a ported stock TB outflow the LS6 intake? If not then a higher flowing TB should still show gains.

Will a ported stock TB produce the same, less or more HP than an after market one?

I've never really seen any info on this, only 2nd, 3rd and 20th hand information which seems to be thrown around with apparently little to back it up.

As I said, it's not that I'm wanting to be a dick, would just like some facts. The actual result bothers me not, but how it is justified does.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interestingly enough, I have 3 BBK units, no problems here.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:36 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know what you're saying...

The gains simply aren't justifiable to the price of the aftermarket tb. I think that's the main reason for not running one. It might only be a fraction of hp gain if you went with a BBK over say a S3.

As far as problems, the BBK was known to stick quite a bit. Does that mean everyone does it? Certainly not. There are probably other reasons.

I can't remember why people don't run the FAST TB's. But look at everyone running LSX intakes. 99% of the people don't run FAST tb's, they run Nick Williams or TPiS.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've been running a BBK since last spring. No problems here. It did make an irritating whistling sound at first but I was able to take care of that. I'll admit, it's too expensive for the minimal gain you (might) get, but since I'm not really on a budget I decided to experiment with it- and now I'm gonna keep it.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

What's the point of a 78mm or 80mm TB when the LS6 intake inlet is only 75mm? I raised this question to my tuner a few years ago and he replied that unless the inlet on the intake is port matched to the larger TB you will gain nothing but a lighter wallet. Go with a ported stock TB if you are keeping the LS6 intake.

Quick Reply: BBK 80mm TB vs. FAST 78mm TB