Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

when installing longtubes should you put silicone on the gaskets tohold them in place

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 11:28 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default when installing longtubes should you put silicone on the gaskets tohold them in place

should i use hi temp silicone on the header gaskets like on the side of the gasket that attaches to the head and the side that attaches to the header? just wondering so i know how to keep gasket in place, or should i just put gasket on header and put a bolt through it to hold it in place? should i use stock metal gaskets?
Old 11-30-2005, 11:39 AM
Staging Lane

no silicone, just use the old gasgets, they will be fine. Check the bolts after a few hundred miles to make sure they stay snug
Old 11-30-2005, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

no silicone, but id buy new gm stock gaskets. Speed inc has em ------> They are only like 16 bucks, and its not worth it to have to buy new ones if the olds turn out to be bad, and you have to do all the work again. Just cover all your bases the first time around!
Old 11-30-2005, 11:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jcori3
no silicone, just use the old gasgets, they will be fine. Check the bolts after a few hundred miles to make sure they stay snug
I agree.

And to add to that, I read a scary post where a guy busted off a header bolt in the head. To avoid such heartache I might be inclined to use new bolts, or maybe even invest in a stud kit. A stud kit is a good idea IMO, especially if you plan to have the headers on and off frequently, plus the studs will hold the gasket in place and make hanging the headers easier.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by natronathon
no silicone, but id buy new gm stock gaskets. Speed inc has em ------> They are only like 16 bucks, and its not worth it to have to buy new ones if the olds turn out to be bad, and you have to do all the work again. Just cover all your bases the first time around!
That sounds like an even better idea.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:31 PM
11 Second Club

natronathon is right. Just get some new GM gaskets. I had to replace my driver's side within a couple of months.

ShevrolayZ28, that was probably me. I broke off a stainless steel locking bolt in my head.

Here's a pic.

Not fun.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:55 PM
TECH Resident

Here is the trick guys. Just use thread and loosly tie the gasket to the header flange. Before to torque the bolts down tight cut the thread and pull it out. This saves a ton of time messing around trying to get the to line up right.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Definately NO silicone.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DOUBT IT
natronathon is right. Just get some new GM gaskets. I had to replace my driver's side within a couple of months.

ShevrolayZ28, that was probably me. I broke off a stainless steel locking bolt in my head.

Here's a pic.

Not fun.
Nope. It was another guy.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ht=broken+bolt
Old 11-30-2005, 06:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Uno99
Here is the trick guys. Just use thread and loosly tie the gasket to the header flange. Before to torque the bolts down tight cut the thread and pull it out. This saves a ton of time messing around trying to get the to line up right.
Nice idea
Old 11-30-2005, 08:07 PM
12 Second Club

i have used this trick for years and it works every time;

just cut a notch in the very front and very back part of the gaskets right at the front and back bolt holes so you can start the front and back bolts first, then just slip the gasket right down from the top. I can't believe no one else does this ???
Old 11-30-2005, 08:26 PM
12 Second Club

If you use mls stainless gaskets, spray a light film of permatex copper gasket spray between each layer, trim the end bolt holes as mcamp001 said, just about eliminates header leaks
Old 12-01-2005, 08:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Don't bother with the ARP header stud kit. I tried it, and there's nowhere near enough room to get the studs in and get the header flange over them. Longtube header clearances are way too tight in the engine bay. Ended up re-using the bolts.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:01 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by mcamp001
i have used this trick for years and it works every time;

just cut a notch in the very front and very back part of the gaskets right at the front and back bolt holes so you can start the front and back bolts first, then just slip the gasket right down from the top. I can't believe no one else does this ???

That is what I have been doing every time. Just drop it in and be done with it. Just use tin snips to cut the notches. Unless you buy copper gaskets, then they already come with the notches.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NHRATA01
Don't bother with the ARP header stud kit. I tried it, and there's nowhere near enough room to get the studs in and get the header flange over them. Longtube header clearances are way too tight in the engine bay. Ended up re-using the bolts.
Thanks for the heads up! I think I'll just get new bolts.