Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ram Air???

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 11:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram Air???

Ok so i know there are all these underbody ram air kits and all. but i was worried that if i went through any type of water it would do all sorts of damage (correct me if I'm wrong).\

What i was wanting to do was run ram air through the exsisting holes in the bumper cover. i looked at it and it seems like a feesable(sp) idea

Is there anyone out there that has done this and if so were there any major problem like with brackets or any thing. Any other bits of information would be nice to like sugestable material for ducting the air to in front of my radiator. I already did the FRA mod so the air should get from infront of the radiator into the airbox.

-Josh
Old 02-10-2006, 11:40 PM
11 Second Club

I was thinking of this too, just make some piping to bring the front air into the box etc. Looks like it would be a good "Ram Air" idea, but no one has done it, so it must not be that great of an idea...
Old 02-10-2006, 11:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by marine7891
Ok so i know there are all these underbody ram air kits and all. but i was worried that if i went through any type of water it would do all sorts of damage (correct me if I'm wrong).\

What i was wanting to do was run ram air through the exsisting holes in the bumper cover. i looked at it and it seems like a feesable(sp) idea

Is there anyone out there that has done this and if so were there any major problem like with brackets or any thing. Any other bits of information would be nice to like sugestable material for ducting the air to in front of my radiator. I already did the FRA mod so the air should get from infront of the radiator into the airbox.

-Josh
i wouldn't think it would be any different than you already having the !FRA mod. actually might help keep water out, since the air collecter is kind of at a "J" angle if you know what i mean.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:42 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure a few people have done it, but it would be more work than just bolting on a SSRA system for the same gains.

I think i remember somthing like this being on a car getting tuned at g-force. The guy goes by Old Blue on here or somthing. I looked under his car while it was on the lift and it had some ductwork going on under there.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like this:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-tech/449841-new-big-gulp-mod.html
Old 02-11-2006, 10:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
damn!!! thats alittle more than i was thinking of...

but i like it

-Josh
Old 02-12-2006, 04:11 AM
On The Tree

I have seen it done on Camaros with dryer hose that you can get from the hardware store. I was going to do it to my car. But on my TA the bumper suport it kind of in the way. I have the free ram air mod on my car and have no problem in the rain. I think both will have about the same hp gain.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:12 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

God! The Big Gulp is bad ***!
Old 02-12-2006, 04:21 AM
On The Tree

That big gulp is BIG. Looks kind of like a wale shark lol.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:36 AM
On The Tree

I wouldn't bother.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Since Ram Air does not actually ram the air in your engine, will the Big Gulp really make any difference?
Old 02-12-2006, 12:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Louie83
Since Ram Air does not actually ram the air in your engine, will the Big Gulp really make any difference?

why would the big gulp not ram air in the engine, that is the purpose of it...so does the ssra and ftra..believe me i have cover min with large amounts of duct tape because it was raining and when i went to pull the tape off from under the hood later that night the tape was blown off by the force of the air entering the ftra. the air was being force up there and i was only going 60mph, think of when i hot 111mph at the track , also if you read the maker of the big gulp state it puts about 2-3 psi in the intake.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by marine7891

-Josh
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...6&page=2&pp=20

i guess this is what you are talking about and it has been done by the fastest SI ls1 mph wise that is...SUX2BU...sorry about that crack , et will come soon
Old 02-12-2006, 01:09 PM
11 Second Club

It doesn't??? Wow I quess I'll have to take off my BGRA because you said it doesn't work. By the way I gained 3MPH with it(BGRA) That big gulp mod is going to kick ***.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RGR Pete
It doesn't??? Wow I quess I'll have to take off my BGRA because you said it doesn't work. By the way I gained 3MPH with it(BGRA) That big gulp mod is going to kick ***.
Calm down. That is the consensus that I hear on here. That is why people always say "Ram Air" with the quotes around it. It really just supplies air for the taking when the intake needs it, but does not "ram" it in the engine which would make it a type of forced induction. Or at least that is what I have read on here, so no need to get all excited.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:14 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Calm down. That is the consensus that I hear on here. That is why people always say "Ram Air" with the quotes around it. It really just supplies air for the taking when the intake needs it, but does not "ram" it in the engine which would make it a type of forced induction. Or at least that is what I have read on here, so no need to get all excited.
I guess i missed that concensus as well

How can anyone possibly deny that it actually works? The amount of gain may be minimal, but it is definatly there. RAM is a relative term. As long as the pressure differential is widened, i'd say its working.