Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeaking Belt? Maybe Idler Pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 05:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaking Belt? Maybe Idler Pulley?

Well, I just bought my hawk Maybe two weeks ago. I noticed that it would make a squealing sound when starting it on cold mornings, but then would soon go away after a minute or so. On Monday it started to do it constently and would never stop. So, today i decided to pull the belt and check everything before I assumed it was a Idler Pulley like most cases do. It ended up being my alternater and nothing else. I went to autozone and picked up a alt. for $175 and put in my car(first time working on LS1, not much different than the LT1). Started it up and runs great, no squeaking at all.

So, before you assume it is the belt or idler pulley, make sure to check everything else so no money is wasted!

Jonathan
Old 03-03-2006, 05:52 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good info man. Sometimes it is a belt though. I have seen many A/C belts scream like a 2 year old.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:41 AM
On The Tree

my belt does the same thing , how do u know if its the alt?
Old 03-03-2006, 06:47 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You will have to start pulling things off and checking one by one. I know that you can't pull the alt and check, but you can take the A/C belt off and if that doesnt take care of it. check the other pulleys and see how they spin or if they feel loose.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:31 AM
On The Tree

ok thanks
Old 03-03-2006, 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

damn mine does too i guess another project added for this weekend
Old 03-03-2006, 10:42 AM
TECH Resident

belts are the cheapest to replace so start with those
Old 03-03-2006, 06:01 PM
Staging Lane

I pulled the upper belt first and inspected it. Next I just turned every pulley that was on that system to try and find one that felt like it had a rough or squeaky bearing. Everything felt good and didn't make a sound until I started to spin the pulley on the alt. It started making a squeaking sound, so I immediately knew that was the problem.

I was a little pissed it was the alt. and not something simple and cheap like a idler pulley or belt. Oh well
Old 03-03-2006, 06:55 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

Cool info. I bought a cheap discount belt- not to replace a broke belt but the stock one just looked old and I thought why not change it on my terms instead of having it break on me. Well right from the get go that cheap belt squeeled like a pig when it was cold. It got so annoying I finally broke down and got one from the dealer and it never squeeled again, cold, hot.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

try spraying brake cleaner on yoru belts and pulleys it stoped my sqeek just somethign cheap to try
Old 05-14-2014, 09:43 AM

Default Same problem

Originally Posted by SLP4CamaroSS
try spraying brake cleaner on yoru belts and pulleys it stoped my sqeek just somethign cheap to try
Do you specifically recommend brake cleaner vs a belt dressing type product? Do you apply it to the underside of the belt and allow it to distribute among the pulleys that way?

I just bought a 99 trans am that is in fantastic shape with 46K miles. First thing I'm noticing is belt squealing at idle, not very loud though, can hardly hear it over the rumble of the engine out of the aftermarket exhaust :-)
Old 05-14-2014, 09:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Exclamation

Originally Posted by JustYoder
Do you specifically recommend brake cleaner vs a belt dressing type product? Do you apply it to the underside of the belt and allow it to distribute among the pulleys that way?

I just bought a 99 trans am that is in fantastic shape with 46K miles. First thing I'm noticing is belt squealing at idle, not very loud though, can hardly hear it over the rumble of the engine out of the aftermarket exhaust :-)
Wow this is a classic lol

A gatorback belt fixed my issues and you will hear the majority of people on here say the same. Give it a shot!
Old 05-14-2014, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
Wow this is a classic lol

A gatorback belt fixed my issues and you will hear the majority of people on here say the same. Give it a shot!
Thanks for the reply - can you elaborate to a total LS1 noob what is "classic" about my post?

So I take it you do not recommend any kind of dressing product to start with? The belts are OEM and never been replaced. I don't think any of the pulleys have been replaced either.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Talking

Originally Posted by JustYoder
Thanks for the reply - can you elaborate to a total LS1 noob what is "classic" about my post?

So I take it you do not recommend any kind of dressing product to start with? The belts are OEM and never been replaced. I don't think any of the pulleys have been replaced either.
I meant classic because the thread is so old nothing condescending towards you sorry.

Maybe other guys have had luck "dressing" the belts but IMO its not worth it. If you're dressing the belts then you obviously know your belts are bad. So instead of wasting time and money on that just replace the belt to a belt that is designed to smother all those noises that you are hearing. Now that's IF the problem is the belts which in MOST cases I have found that to be the case especially in yours. You just said they are original belts DING DING DING

Last year I was in the same boat as you. Drove me nuts. Everyone said it was the pulleys including myself. I took them all off and greased them and no fix. I sprayed the belts with some kind of belt crap which is a temporary one drive solution. It only made a mess in my engine bay.

Boy, was I kicking myself in the *** after the hassle of all that when all I needed was a $20 gatorback belt
Old 05-14-2014, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
I meant classic because the thread is so old nothing condescending towards you sorry.

Maybe other guys have had luck "dressing" the belts but IMO its not worth it. If you're dressing the belts then you obviously know your belts are bad. So instead of wasting time and money on that just replace the belt to a belt that is designed to smother all those noises that you are hearing. Now that's IF the problem is the belts which in MOST cases I have found that to be the case especially in yours. You just said they are original belts DING DING DING

Last year I was in the same boat as you. Drove me nuts. Everyone said it was the pulleys including myself. I took them all off and greased them and no fix. I sprayed the belts with some kind of belt crap which is a temporary one drive solution. It only made a mess in my engine bay.

Boy, was I kicking myself in the *** after the hassle of all that when all I needed was a $20 gatorback belt
Hey I wasn't offended I just wanted to understand if I was making a classic noob mistake or oversight! I posted on this old thread cause I read that LS1Tech likes us to leverage existing threads before starting new ones. I can't tell you how much I appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge and experience. I'm just trying to learn as much as I can, and make the right moves.

If gatorback belts are designed do suppress this annoying sound, then that sounds like the right product for me! I'll do a little research on how they do that, I'm interested. Thanks again.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:58 PM
Teching In

same boat here but my alternator was bad so i replaced it and now it squeeks before it did not. i think its the alternator pulley but i will try the gatorbelt my self hopefully that fixes my problem

Quick Reply: Squeaking Belt? Maybe Idler Pulley?