Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pacesetter LTs, cats possible?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 09:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pacesetter LTs, cats possible?

So, the guy I bought my 2002 WS6 from had put Pacesetter LTs on, with an unknown brand ORY, and Hooker 3" exhaust. Now, after moving, I have to get an inspection...which will fail without the cats. My question is, is it possible to put cats on this setup? One shop I took it to told me there wasn't enough room and that I'd need to buy shorty headers. Anybody running Pacesetter LTs with cats? How'd you do it? Also, if it will work, how should I go about hooking up the rear O2's, once I get the cats installed, so I can get this blasted SES light off? Will a quality muffler/exhaust shop know how to do that?
Old 05-11-2006, 10:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

You could try and fab some CATS into your current Y pipe but it'll probably cost money and be a pain. A completley custom Catted Y is another option.

However if it was me I'd go for Texas Speed & Performance (----> a sponsor ) catted Y pipe. It uses pretty decent Magnaflow Carsound CATS so will flow well and won't really hurt HP on a bolt on LS1. Some people have issues with catted Y pipes hitting the underside of the car, I'd be tempted to fit poly motor and tranny mounts this stops the engine from torquing as much which is what causes the Y pipe hitting the underside of the car. Muffler also offer a Y pipe bracket also designed to prevent this. These are all available from Thunder Racing, also a sponsor ----->

As for the O2's you have two options. Run O2 SIMS or if you have access to some tuning software or a local tuner simply tune out the rear O2's.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

tsp sell a catted y pipe
Old 05-11-2006, 11:47 AM
Teching In

I'm really more interested in saving as much money as possible, so I'd like to avoid buying a whole new catted y...then have to pay to have it installed as well. I'd also like to be as "legal" as possible, so I'd like to have the O2 sensors hooked up...but will they even work correctly with aftermarket cats?

I'm really interested in hearing from anyone who might have this setup, at the very least, Pacesetter LTs with cats...not a pre-fab catted y, though...however few of you there may be.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any exhaust shop should be able to weld two of the really small magnaflow cats into the current y-pipe. Just ask around and im sure some exhaust shop should be able to do it.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:54 AM
Teching In

There are cats sold seperately of a Y-pipe. Pacesetter has them and SLP has them. You would just need to cut and weld. Check the online LS1 performance shops.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

go with the magnaflow/carsound cats, they flow well and are cheap. SLP has the random tech cats, which are nice, but not worth $350 bucks. You can usually get the magnaflows for around $100 a pair.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:37 PM
Teching In

Default Cats

Jason. I've got an auto 02 Z/28. I started with Hooker catbacks. Then I decided I wanted headers, so I went with Hooker long tubes. The shop that put the headers on fabricated a Y-pipe and spliced new cats in the new y-pipe. The cats/pipes ended up not going back in the stock locations, so that meant that the Spohn tunnel brace that I had on could not go back. I hear that often tunnel braces (even stock) will not go back on with anyone's catted y's. Sooooo...now no tunnel brace, but I was putting on subframe connectors anyway so I'm hoping all will be OK, but I don't like the idea. I'm not happy with the whole deal. I wish Hooker would sell a whole setup. I started out trying to do a little at a time and also avoid the really expensive $1300 (plus installation) sets like Dynatech and Kooks (which some say still do not solve the tunnel brace issue.) Good luck. I feel your pain. I wish I'd bought the high priced stuff that is "supposed" to go together.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

if u want to save as much as possible get in touch w/ some one who can give you the hook up on inspection, no change to ur car at all needed if u go that route
Old 05-11-2006, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

are you throwing an engine code? if your not, and you do not have visuals then you'll be fine.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:23 PM
Launching!

i had an exhaust shop weld in some cats on my car, but when they did they tucked the y pipe up and the cats are tapping against the heat shield on the drivers side which is pretty annoying.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:25 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll need to read the FAQ at the top of the page to figure out why your SES light is on.

I have Pacesetter LT's and TSP true duals with cats welded in. You can get the cats for around $55 on ebay. They are 3" in/out magnaflows. You can hack the slip fits off the ends and buttweld them into the y-pipe if need be. Check out my sig for pics of how they fit.

Any decent exhaust shop should be able to throw them in for ya.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:29 PM
Staging Lane

ive got the magnaflowcats on my true dual set-up with long tubes. my muffler shop put them on for me.about you ses light for the rears, you will need sims or them turned off, cause mine threw a code.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:14 PM
TECH Resident

I would just get the magnaflow cats and then have a muffler shop incorporate em into your existing Y. Perhaps if they flange it or soemthing, you could botl the cats up for inspect9ion, then un-bolt em and re bolt up the straight pipe.

Shrugs

I ended up getting the TSP catted Y pipe, and it took two different muffler shops to get it right, after the install shop couldnt get it to work themselves

Cost me an extra 200 for that headache.. though still cheaper in the long run over the premium LT header and cattd Y set-ups.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jester177
i had an exhaust shop weld in some cats on my car, but when they did they tucked the y pipe up and the cats are tapping against the heat shield on the drivers side which is pretty annoying.

^Ditto! I have Pacestters and I had the Magnaflows welded into my ORY. The muffler shop had to beat the hell out of the floorboard to get it to clear (I have very little ground clearance now, maybe 2.5" at most). Now the heat shield vibrates onto the floorbard upon decelerating. Really annoying.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 382WS6
^Ditto! I have Pacestters and I had the Magnaflows welded into my ORY. The muffler shop had to beat the hell out of the floorboard to get it to clear (I have very little ground clearance now, maybe 2.5" at most). Now the heat shield vibrates onto the floorbard upon decelerating. Really annoying.

Just make a makeshift bump stop using a piece or rubber the fits in between the floorboard and the cat.