Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borla vs GMMG w/ H/C

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 11:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Borla vs GMMG w/ H/C

After weeks of reading threads and listening to exhausts, I've finally decided on the Borla Adj CB for my 99 Z. BUT then I saw a few posts that said the Borla sounds awful with h/c. Does everyone agree with this? I've only heard the Borla in person with no other mods and only can judge the GMMG by what I hear on ls1sounds. I'll probably be installing pacesetters with a TSP catted-y this summer, but won't get to the h/c until next year. I don't want to buy a Borla for one summer and then have to get rid of it next year. Any opinions?

Thanks
Old 05-17-2006, 01:05 AM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

If you have a catted Y it should sound pretty decent with the Borla, the cats will definitely cut down on most of the rasp. But then again GMMG on a catted H/C car is pretty much amazing.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:44 AM
TECH Addict

Go GMMG!!

Thats whats going in Thursday on my car
Old 05-17-2006, 03:24 AM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=~ever~]Go GMMG!!

go with gmmg or tsp true duals flip a coin heads gmmg. tails tsp TD's with bullets.. they give your car that mean bat out of hell sound
Old 05-17-2006, 09:59 AM
TECH Regular

Borla is garbage if your car is not stock. It just sounds nasty go with GMMG.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the GMMG with heads and cam:

http://sd.ootoot.com/Content/whistles/jeff.wmv
Old 05-17-2006, 11:13 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Intimidator3
After weeks of reading threads and listening to exhausts, I've finally decided on the Borla Adj CB for my 99 Z. BUT then I saw a few posts that said the Borla sounds awful with h/c. Does everyone agree with this? I've only heard the Borla in person with no other mods and only can judge the GMMG by what I hear on ls1sounds. I'll probably be installing pacesetters with a TSP catted-y this summer, but won't get to the h/c until next year. I don't want to buy a Borla for one summer and then have to get rid of it next year. Any opinions?

Thanks
you can't tell by those clips. camera microphones suck. IMO borla is the worst sounding catback i've ever heard on a V8. i prefered my old 3.4L V6 with flowmasters to an LS1 with borla. i can't describe how much i don't like the way it sounds...but again, that's my bias opinion.

IMO go gmmg. it's basically the same price and sounds only about 500 times better. not to mention borla tips are hideous.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:37 PM
Teching In

After reading even more threads, I may have found only 1 or 2 people that really like the Borla after headers and h/c. Most people seem to hate it after these mods.

Thanks for the input guys. I just cancelled my Borla order and sent a check to GMMG. Hopefully I'll have that bad boy rumbling by next weekend.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:31 PM
11 Second Club

I got Borla on my cammed car. I like it. WHats not to like? If it's too loud you just switch a plate.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

BEST decision you made....I don't have GMMG...but will eventually...
Old 05-17-2006, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Intimidator3

Thanks
I have a friend with a Borla cat back that has a h/c package with headers and a off road pipe and it has some serious rasp at certain rpms. My gmmg has very little with the same setup.(different head cam package). Mine has little rasp between 2100-2300rpm only under load. Thats it.

Here is what mine sounds like at Road Atlanta under full throttle.

http://video.ls1tech.com/Player.aspx...6-F6B4726DB149

Just for thought.

Last edited by Brian2001SS; 05-17-2006 at 06:23 PM.