Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed longtubes & ORP, now wideband will not read

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 07:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installed longtubes & ORP, now wideband will not read

Ok, I installed a set of Jet-Hot longtubes and a Mufflex ORP. I used the Percy's dead soft aluminum header gaaskets and the collectors are a slip fit and I used the wide band clamps to help seal it off.
I tried to use the wideband (dyno operator's wideband) when I dynoed my car and the sensor (tried more than one) would keep going cold (would not read.) It was a Mustang dyno, but the wideband unit was a stand alone unit. The dyno operator said I must have some header leaks for the sensor to keep doing that. I went home and tightened the header flanges some more (I mean extremely tight) and I used some RTV gasket sealant on the blockoff plates (EGR & AIR) to make sure they were not leaking. I also used the sealant to seal up the slip on collectors since they were right before the O2 sensors. I went back to try it again, but it still would not pick up.

I can not hear any exhaust leaks whatsoever. Is there something I am forgetting? Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks in advance,
Kevin
Old 03-11-2003, 07:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: Installed longtubes & ORP, now wideband will not read

TTT
Old 03-12-2003, 04:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

For one, I wouldn't be using RTV sealer unless it's sensor safe.The wrong RTV and you may start having some bad O2 sensors.
As for the wideband not reading right on the dyno,seems wierd cause i never heard of that problem before.Maybe try a different dyno.
Old 03-12-2003, 05:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Someone else dynoed right as I left and the sensor read his O2s with no problems. The RTV sealant was put on the collector after the O2 sensor and only on the blockoff plates as a gasket. The dyno operator said that he has had (or heard of) this happening before but only when there are exhaust leaks before the O2 sensor.

Thanks for the reply,
Keep them coming.

Kevin
Old 03-12-2003, 09:35 AM
Teching In

I had something very similar happen a couple of weeks ago. MMT was having dyno day so I thought I'd go get a baseline (with what I have in sig) before I install my Predator tune. My AF ratio was reading in the mid to high 17's on their dyno. I'm thinking that can't be right since nothing has changed on the car since my last dyno 6 months ago when my AF ratio was reading in the 12's. I'm thinking something is wrong with their wideband but the car right after me was reading right. So I decide to go to Speedtek since they are only 20 miles down the road and pay for another dyno just to double check. Well needless to say on their dyno my AF ratio was reading back in the 12's just like it was before. I'm not sure if has anything to do with how sensitive the wideband probe is of not or how well it's maintained. I know the one at Speedtek looked alot better then the one at MMT. So for now on I'm only going to Speedtek.

Fred
Old 03-12-2003, 09:50 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The wideband would read A/F no matter what.Expecially if there are no leaks.Maybe the tailpipe he had it installed had very little flow,meaning the other pipe was better.
Old 03-12-2003, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The sensor was installed in the header collector on BOTH sides, and still did the same thing. The day before I went, he had a dyno day and dynoed about 20+ cars without any problems. I am going to try a different dyno next week, but I would like to dyno at this one as well because it is alot closer.

I am going out of town until Friday, so if anyone has any questions to help me figure out what went wrong, I will not be able to reply until then.

Thanks for the replies guys, anyone else?

Kevin
Old 03-14-2003, 06:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

TTT