Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FAST 90 VS VIC JR & ELBOW

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 10:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default FAST 90 VS VIC JR & ELBOW

Need your thoughts.. I was at the dyno over the weekend for a tune and some pulls when I saw in person the vic jr setup with an elbow on it....I've seen them fro sponsers online, but never in person....My tuner said I'd gain about 40more hp over my ported 90....does anyone have any facts to this....not really wanting to doubt my tuner(did a helluva job on my car) I just don't want to sell my ported 90, do the fab work on my car, and then get dissappointed, and spend $900.00 again on another ported 90.....IMPUT WELOCOME!!!!
Old 09-26-2006, 10:36 AM
11 Second Club

C'mon guys, surely someone know about this.....
Old 09-26-2006, 10:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a race only application and/or turbo/SC it is worth it. For a daily driver, forget it as the low-end will feel softer than your current FAST 90 setup. We have the GMPP intake with an elbow on our race only Z28.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:08 PM
10 Second Club

if its in a f body im pretty sure it wouldnt fit under the cowl...

otherwise, if its in something else hell yes it would be freaking awesome. IMO 90/90s are a middle ground.. i think you are good with either a LS6, or you should go to a single plane intake or a sheet metal
Old 09-26-2006, 06:20 PM
10 Second Club

I'm curious to know if anyone has ever tried a Brodix intake "turtle" on a single plane set up to boost low end while not killing top end. I've seen it done on crabed set ups before, but never seen anyone try it with an EFI set up. :shrug:

Just me thinking out loud...
Old 09-26-2006, 06:28 PM
TECH Resident

you can check out pics of a ported Vic Jr from the link on my Sig
Old 09-26-2006, 06:30 PM

I have several friends witht the victor Jr set up. Those cars are serious forced induction cars (700-900rwhp), and the reason they went to the carb style set up was because the back 2 cylinders get more pressure in them than the front 6 do with a standard intake. The carb style intake alows for a more even distribution of flow into the engine. I doubt it would be of much help to a N/A engine. Just my $0.02
Old 09-26-2006, 06:31 PM

You need to cut the cowl on a f-body and on a vette, you need a different hood.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:49 PM
11 Second Club

You know my opinion, I had my Vic Ported and port matched to the TFS 225's.. i Have heard ever since it came out that it would suck on bottom end torque.. so i asked a guy from W2W a few months ago on his opinion basically he told me this:
1. you have a 408 stroker... low end torque isnt a problem
2. If you properly port it and port match it, you wont loose any down low
3. if you plan on spraying it, the equal distibution far out weighs any small low end torque loss that SOME say they have seen
4. Who lives below 5k rpm anyways

hey, i know, i could go dyno my car, then me and you could switch intake set ups for a week or two and both of us redyno and we would have two complete ported 90 vs port vic compairisons.. the only problem with that is that you have a cam inteded for use with that set up of yours, while I have a cam inteded for use with the Vic.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chrismcdaniel
could switch intake set ups for a week or two and both of us redyno and we would have two complete ported 90 vs port vic compairisons.. the only problem with that is that you have a cam inteded for use with that set up of yours, while I have a cam inteded for use with the Vic.
thats awful nice of you, i have over 2k in my ported Vic Jr , i dont think you could pry my cold dead hands off of it for a swap of a fast 90/90 even if it was for a week.
chrismcdaniel you got any pics of your ported Vic Jr?
Old 09-26-2006, 11:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by KHShapiro
thats awful nice of you, i have over 2k in my ported Vic Jr , i dont think you could pry my cold dead hands off of it for a swap of a fast 90/90 even if it was for a week.
chrismcdaniel you got any pics of your ported Vic Jr?
will in a couple weeks... its curently on a truck headed towards california.. at which time it will get loaded ona boat, then float for 5 days to hawaii.. ALONG WITH MY LME 408 been waiting a long time for my ****, at least its in route now. not that iv been waiting a long time for LME to build it, but i had to deal with the FFHP thing, get my money back, then order a new motor..
Old 09-26-2006, 11:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by getusum
Need your thoughts.. I was at the dyno over the weekend for a tune and some pulls when I saw in person the vic jr setup with an elbow on it....I've seen them fro sponsers online, but never in person....My tuner said I'd gain about 40more hp over my ported 90....does anyone have any facts to this....not really wanting to doubt my tuner(did a helluva job on my car) I just don't want to sell my ported 90, do the fab work on my car, and then get dissappointed, and spend $900.00 again on another ported 90.....IMPUT WELOCOME!!!!
Do it! You'll gain a bunch. And all this talk about losing low end this and low end that, if you feel any difference at all it will be a joke. Plus, you're gonna gain power from the intake, so your engine will be stronger, period. Lose low end torque I love that one, specially when someones got a nice powerful stroker engine.

Old 09-26-2006, 11:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chrismcdaniel
will in a couple weeks... its curently on a truck headed towards california.. at which time it will get loaded ona boat, then float for 5 days to hawaii.. ALONG WITH MY LME 408 been waiting a long time for my ****, at least its in route now. not that iv been waiting a long time for LME to build it, but i had to deal with the FFHP thing, get my money back, then order a new motor..
I know the feeling my VRE 427 was just completed, You should check out the pics of my Vic Jr, ETP cut it in half to port it and port match it to the 255's, it really is a sight..... i almost dont want to use it and just wear it around my neck like a peice of bling,almost
Old 09-26-2006, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cop Car
if its in a f body im pretty sure it wouldnt fit under the cowl...
Originally Posted by davered00ss
Fits mine just fine. Rubs the slightest little bit but completely unoticeable.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:07 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by KHShapiro
I know the feeling my VRE 427 was just completed, You should check out the pics of my Vic Jr, ETP cut it in half to port it and port match it to the 255's, it really is a sight..... i almost dont want to use it and just wear it around my neck like a peice of bling,almost
Yea, trust me i looked at yours a while ago from a different thread when i was making up my mind to go this route. I want to get mine Powder coaterd too, just want to get it all in and runnig, then just pull the valve covers and intake off at a later date for powder coating.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

everything i have ever heard is that the vic is not a great idea for a mil engine on the street...the track however
Old 09-27-2006, 02:17 PM
10 Second Club

picture is worth 1000 words...

i think its hilarious when people always say "you will loose low end torque" when refering to a sheetmetal or single plane intake. expecialy when the cars have 4000-4400 stalls in them.. people just dont think sometimes.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

This is a great thread. I am fixing to put a forged LQ4 in my 95 mustang with ported LS6 heads and a vic jr. Just keep it carb'd to keep it simple. Anyone have any input as far as cam selection. I was thinking of going with a MS3 that my friend gave me.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by davered00ss
Not true, here's Nitrous Outlet elbow with stock c5 hood. Mine is being plumbed for Dry DP.

Robert