Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exclusive Classic Chambered PowerPacks (not PowerSticks) - Pics, videos, dyno inside

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 12:17 AM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Exclusive Classic Chambered PowerPacks (not PowerSticks) - Pics, videos, dyno inside

THIS SYSTEM IS FOR SALE NOW! https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts-sale/668664-4-custom-classic-chambered-exhaust-catback.html

I thought you guys would enjoy this. As a lot of you know, earlier this summer Classic Chambered was not able to produce the 3" Chambered PowerSticks. After talking to Classic Chambered, I had them send me some of their Chambered mufflers without the crimps in them, which are now being called PowerPacks. The only difference between PowerSticks and PowerPacks are the crimps in the outer shell of the muffler.

I wanted to see how much my GMMG exhaust was holding my car back, so we fabbed a 4" system in the shop featuring three of the 3" Classic Chambered PowerPack mufflers. All I can say is that the results were amazing.

Unfortunately, we don't have a back to back dyno with the GMMG to the 4" system that we fabbed, as there were some changes made to the car, but the results are still impressive.

The car made 473.8hp/440.4tq (there was a small ~6hp/tq spike) with the GMMG exhaust. With the 4" system, we made 475.1hp/431tq. The spike in the original dyno is pretty apparant in the comparison between the two, so the peak torque is slightly off with the GMMG. Now for the differences between the two dynos, this is where the exhaust really shines. Since the GMMG dyno, the Magnaflow cats have been installed, a Moser 12 bolt, 4.10 gears (from 3.42), steel driveshaft, and 18x10.5 rims with 315 tires (from 18x9 with 295 tires). With all the changes, we were assuming about a 15 to 20 hp loss.
We were also having problems with the car spinning on the dyno with the 4" system, that is why the graph goes up then swoops back down in first part of the graph.

Now for the sound of the PowerPacks, its simply amazing. I used to think the GMMG was one of the best sounding catbacks that I had ever heard on a LS1. The PowerPacks put the GMMG to shame. The GMMG exhaust always had rasp in the 2200~2800 rpm range, right where I spent most of my time cruising. The PowerPacks amazingly have ZERO rasp through the entire RPM range, even when revving and letting off the gas, there is zero rasp, and the sound is just amazing. Much deeper/throaty than the GMMG was.

Now for the dyno/pics/video.

Here is the dyno with the 4" PowerPacks:

Here is the two dyno graphs overlayed on one another:

Here are some shots of the fabrication process. I don't have any completed pics yet. Hope to get those up in the next couple of days.

See the rest of the pics at: http://www.eadperformance.com/35thvideos/chambered/pics

And now for the videos. The videos were taken on a Sony Digital Camera, so the sound quality is not the best, but we are trying to get our hands on a real camcorder.

GMMG Exhaust
PowerPack Dyno run
PowerPack Idle/Cruise on the dyno

For more videos, visit: http://www.eadperformance.com/35thvideos/chambered

Keep an eye on the group purchase forum as we will be having a group purchase on the Chambered PowerSticks and PowerPack mufflers within the next day or two.

Last edited by Tim @ EAD Performance; 03-03-2007 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What did you use for the y at the axle? Is that a flowmaster merge cut down?
Old 09-29-2006, 01:43 PM
12 Second Club

I had the exact same set-up before tru-duels. except I used sweet-thunder mufflers instead.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:46 PM
12 Second Club

Btw yes it is a flo master merge collector. I used one up front also with SLP headers, With the Y-pipe and a Spohn chassis mount Tq. arm. 4" in duel 3" out
Old 09-29-2006, 02:12 PM
MASS seller approved

Originally Posted by PAGregSS
What did you use for the y at the axle? Is that a flowmaster merge cut down?
It's a 4" to dual 3" Flowmaster Y. We had to cut it down, then ovalize the 4" pipe that was coming up over the axle. It worked out great.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:51 AM
TECH Resident

So did you guys have some "kid" trouble in the driveby vids?
Old 10-14-2006, 12:59 AM
MASS seller approved

Originally Posted by sdbrown84
So did you guys have some "kid" trouble in the driveby vids?
Yea, the neighbor kids decided to come strolling by and start yelling
Old 10-14-2006, 01:00 AM
MASS seller approved

CLASSIC CHAMBERED MUFFLERS
More information, pictures, and shipping on these can be obtained by going here: http://www.eadperformance.com/catal...?cPath=42_75_76 and adding the mufflers to your cart. Then go to your cart, and you can enter your zipcode and get a shipping quote.
We have the following mufflers on the shelf ready to ship:

Qty: Model - Price
2: 2520SB - 2.5" 16" Body - $43/each + shipping
2: 3020SB Used for 5 min: 3" 16" body - $47/each + shipping
8: 3020SB - 3" 16" Body - $50/each + shipping
1: 3020PP *powerpacks* - 3" 16" Body no crimps - $48 + shipping
3: 3026SB - 3" 20" Body - $56 + shipping

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...07#post5692507
Old 10-14-2006, 01:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Driveway two video sold me. I'm definitely getting a pair! That sounds so wicked!
Old 10-14-2006, 03:24 PM
MASS seller approved

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
Driveway two video sold me. I'm definitely getting a pair! That sounds so wicked!
These mufflers are definately some of the best, if not the best sounding, I have heard on an LS1.

You get the awesome chambered sound without the flow loss of the traditional sweet thunders or stainless works chambereds. They are also available in a true 3" size.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

How do these compare to bullets or glasspacks?
Old 10-16-2006, 08:43 PM
MASS seller approved

Originally Posted by fastlt1
How do these compare to bullets or glasspacks?
They flow just as good as a traditional bullet, but nothing compares to the sound of a chambered muffler. Sounds just like the old big blocks in muscle cars.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it has me wondering... what if I were to have a GMMG, but want to add the extra chamber into the I-Pipe ... considering you have 3 in your system, how would that compete sound wise? it seems by adding the third you added a bit more back pressure but you also added cats, which was probably a factor in the "rasp" you mentioned about the GMMG...

thoughts?
Old 10-16-2006, 11:44 PM
MASS seller approved

Originally Posted by Demon Of Dreams
it has me wondering... what if I were to have a GMMG, but want to add the extra chamber into the I-Pipe ... considering you have 3 in your system, how would that compete sound wise? it seems by adding the third you added a bit more back pressure but you also added cats, which was probably a factor in the "rasp" you mentioned about the GMMG...

thoughts?

Adding one into the I-Pipe should definately help with the rasp. Not sure if it would have a huge impact on the sound or not with the GMMG on the car. At worse, it just cleans up the rasp and the sound is the same. But I would expect it to be a bit deeper, and probably just a tad quieter.

These cats I put on the car did very little to the sound level and rasp of the exhaust. While they do clean up the rasp, they don't do as much as a normal cat would, and they definately do not calm the sound level down much at all either, although if I did it again, I would use them again. They did get rid of the gas smell that I always had without cats.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tim @ EAD Performance
Adding one into the I-Pipe should definately help with the rasp. Not sure if it would have a huge impact on the sound or not with the GMMG on the car. At worse, it just cleans up the rasp and the sound is the same. But I would expect it to be a bit deeper, and probably just a tad quieter.

These cats I put on the car did very little to the sound level and rasp of the exhaust. While they do clean up the rasp, they don't do as much as a normal cat would, and they definately do not calm the sound level down much at all either, although if I did it again, I would use them again. They did get rid of the gas smell that I always had without cats.
can you get a picture of the axle back on the car? I didn't see one that showed the exhaust in full ... just the various joints and parts ...

how much are the chambers going to cost? and should I consider doing a custom exhaust or doing something with just one and a GMMG ...

I'm curious because a GMMG with LT's/Cats sounds very nice and has minimal rasp ... and I do want something different that won't kill performance too much either,

also curious where in the setup the first chamber in the series is for yours

too many ideas floating around in my head... only going to be running a 3" system of course, so, hrm, whatever, haha, midnight rambling I suppose...
Old 10-18-2006, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

bumping for ***** and giggles
Old 10-18-2006, 11:22 PM
Launching!

Definately one of the best sounding cars ive heard on here. I think you sold me on those mufflers and I guess a 408 wouldnt hurt either
Old 10-19-2006, 12:43 AM
MASS seller approved

Originally Posted by Demon Of Dreams
can you get a picture of the axle back on the car? I didn't see one that showed the exhaust in full ... just the various joints and parts ...

how much are the chambers going to cost? and should I consider doing a custom exhaust or doing something with just one and a GMMG ...

I'm curious because a GMMG with LT's/Cats sounds very nice and has minimal rasp ... and I do want something different that won't kill performance too much either,

also curious where in the setup the first chamber in the series is for yours

too many ideas floating around in my head... only going to be running a 3" system of course, so, hrm, whatever, haha, midnight rambling I suppose...

You can see all 3 mufflers in that pic, there is one right before each tip, and another one in the passenger tail pipe right behind the axle.

http://www.eadperformance.com/35thvi...hambered/pics/

Those are the only pics I have for now, I won't have the car on a lift for a couple more days, so I can't get any more pics at the moment.

Chambereds cost about $45 to $55ish each depending on size and length.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tim @ EAD Performance

You can see all 3 mufflers in that pic, there is one right before each tip, and another one in the passenger tail pipe right behind the axle.

http://www.eadperformance.com/35thvi...hambered/pics/

Those are the only pics I have for now, I won't have the car on a lift for a couple more days, so I can't get any more pics at the moment.

Chambereds cost about $45 to $55ish each depending on size and length.

k I took a closer look at yours... I can sort of see how it gets the unique sound it has, its really got two different tones from the way its set up, I like that...

I think you've sold me on those as well, instead of the GMMG ... as much as I cringe to say that, because I am in love with the GMMG over all... Something tells me I can have somebody do a 3" system with a 20" in the intermediate), then work up something with a pair 16" for two tails in the rear...

this brings up a few worries here and there however...
routing, pipe bending, etc etc... that gets almost as expensive to have somebody do a custom exhaust than it would be to just buy the GMMG

argh, exhausts can be so frustrating....

the power packs are quieter and more mellow? interesting...

does the GMMG chamber look the same inside? because those look more like glasspacks on the inside
Old 10-19-2006, 01:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

wouldn't by chance still have that GMMG laying around would you? :o

Quick Reply: Exclusive Classic Chambered PowerPacks (not PowerSticks) - Pics, videos, dyno inside