Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about my damaged oil pan...pics.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 08:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about my damaged oil pan...pics.

Here's my damaged oil pan from my accident. When I ripped off the steering rack to check out the damage I noticed that there's a little bulge on the forward part of the pan, slightly off center. Is the pan made with this bulge or did one of my rods contact the pan and cause this bulge? I don't have a new oil pan yet to compare this damaged one to.

Old 10-14-2006, 09:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine has that bulge,how did you do the damage,that sucks
Old 10-14-2006, 10:12 PM
Launching!

Some asswipe ran a redlight, turned in front of me and stopped as I was entering an intersection. I swerved around him and my *** end got loose. I lost control, spun 180 degrees, went across a concrete lane divider then slammed sideways into a high sidewalk. The pan cracked from the k-member getting pushed into the oil pan.

Here's a couple more accident pics...

Old 10-16-2006, 05:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ouch!

Only way to know for sure is to pull the pan.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:39 AM
TECH Addict

that sucks.the pan will crack/break before it bends.mine got cracked also but i temporarily fixed it with some jb weld when my car ran over a curb.i believe that bulge is on mine also.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Man I hate other stupid people. That guy deserves to have his license pulled. Anyways atleast you didnt get hurt...and you didnt end up spinning into someone else. I PMed you alittle while back.

Oh and I remember seeing that buldge on my LS1 before I put it in my car. Like its been mentioned above...it will break/crack before it deforms.

Justin
Old 10-17-2006, 04:31 PM
Launching!

Thanks for all of the replies guys. I was a little worried about possibly more damage.

Anywho...UPS dropped off the new pan today. I noticed it says "oil pan alignment and torque critical" on it. Anyone have any tips on how I should go about installing this? I think I read somewhere that there's an alignment tool to used for installing it. I'll make marks on the block where the old pan bolts up and see how that goes. Isn't it like 12 ft/lbs for the perimeter bolts and 110 in/lbs for the long rear ones?

Some pics of the new pan...

Old 10-17-2006, 04:42 PM
12 Second Club

if all the bolts are in how out of alignment could the pan be? maybe i'm missing something...
Old 10-17-2006, 07:53 PM
Launching!

Yeah, with all of those bolts all around it I don't see how it could really get that far out of line. I'll be careful torquing everything down though.

Does anyone know what the thread size is on those long bolts in the back? I think they thread into the rear cover and not the block. The holes are pretty much stripped out on my car and I think I might have to helicoil them.

Quick Reply: Question about my damaged oil pan...pics.