Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FAST 78mm vs. LS6 Intake

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 07:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question FAST 78mm vs. LS6 Intake

Has anyone gone from a LS6 to FAST 78mm, or vice-versa? Any dyno sheets? I know that everybody is going to say go 90mm, but if the 78mm will only give up a few HP, I'd love to try it. Vette magazine did a test this month and the FAST 78 did really well, but I'm looking for some real-world input...
Old 10-16-2006, 08:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I think there's a few running the FAST 78.

And in theory it is a better manifold setup over the LS6, better plenium design and larger intake opening (78mm compared to 75mm).

However I don't think the price is worth the gain. Personally I'd go for a 90/90 setup or stick with the LS6.

The 90/90 will show best gains on cammed or h/c setups and you really need to be using higher than stock rpms.

I think allng5 and orangepeel are both running the FAST 78.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

I saw this thread, but it has a lot of differing opinions...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-results-comparisons/588350-gain-ls6-intake-fast-78-a.html

If I get a FAST 78, I can reuse my ported TB, sell my LS6 and only be out a couple hundred $s. With the 90/90 setup, I'm looking at spending $800+ net... This will be used on a mostly street-duty 383.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:39 AM
TECH Addict

It's your choice, but that 383 will require more airflow than most 346ci's do.

Personally I would either go 90/90 or stick with the LS6. IMHO I think you would be dissapointed by going FAST 78 and just end up changin it.

If you want an alternative, it might be worth looking into the new Professional Products intakes. They already have their Typhoon 85mm intake and TB for sale and they are a lot cheaper than a FAST 90. Early indications seem to be showing it outperforming a Ls6 intake by enough HP to make a difference.

They also have a 96mm intake on the way, so I'd be tempted to wait until it's out and give it a shot. It would have to be a pretty poor setup not to outperform the LS6 intake (IMO I'm sure it will be significantly better) yet still be cheaper than a FAST 90.

These intakes are aluminium, but don't let the heat soak bs cloud your decision. Heatsoak is highly over dramticised for the most part.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:45 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd skip all of it and just run open heads (no intake manifold). No restrictions with that setup.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The PP 85mm is for sale, but are they available yet? I don't think they're actually shipping. But I could be mistaken. That's why I'm asking.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I'd skip all of it and just run open heads (no intake manifold). No restrictions with that setup.
You need to share those drug with the rest of us...
Old 10-16-2006, 04:07 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

*sniff* *snort*

Mmmmmmmmmmm...yeah.

It'll be interesting to see what the Professional Products intakes throw in to the mix...I just wish they were made somewhere else other than China
Old 10-16-2006, 04:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The tuner that did my car said that a FAST 90/90 combo only netted him 12hp over his LS6....for $1200...

I think it just depends if you want to spend that kind of cash for that kind of gain...
Old 10-16-2006, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
It's your choice, but that 383 will require more airflow than most 346ci's do.

Personally I would either go 90/90 or stick with the LS6. IMHO I think you would be dissapointed by going FAST 78 and just end up changin it.

If you want an alternative, it might be worth looking into the new Professional Products intakes. They already have their Typhoon 85mm intake and TB for sale and they are a lot cheaper than a FAST 90. Early indications seem to be showing it outperforming a Ls6 intake by enough HP to make a difference.

They also have a 96mm intake on the way, so I'd be tempted to wait until it's out and give it a shot. It would have to be a pretty poor setup not to outperform the LS6 intake (IMO I'm sure it will be significantly better) yet still be cheaper than a FAST 90.

These intakes are aluminium, but don't let the heat soak bs cloud your decision. Heatsoak is highly over dramticised for the most part.
I followed that whole 26 page thread and wasn't all that impressed with the PP Typhoon. 20+ more pounds, questionable results, questionable quality and design... I'm glad that more alternatives coming out...I just hope that they are better than the Weiand/Holley farce.
Everybody says to go the 90/90 route, but spending $1K for a intake just rubs me the wrong way. It's a piece of plastic for god's sake!
My 383 needs more air and I am trying to feel out every option. Thanks for taking the time to add input.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by marv
The tuner that did my car said that a FAST 90/90 combo only netted him 12hp over his LS6....for $1200...

I think it just depends if you want to spend that kind of cash for that kind of gain...
Well my car really needs more air for the 383. You can see on the dyno sheet where it noses over early. The good news is that there is torque everywhere above 2000rpm!
Old 10-16-2006, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Benjamin Russick
Well my car really needs more air for the 383. You can see on the dyno sheet where it noses over early. The good news is that there is torque everywhere above 2000rpm!
That's a good point...didn't consider that you have a larger displacement mill...

Might help you more than I thought...

Either way, you can't go wrong with FAST...good products...
Old 10-17-2006, 04:07 AM
TECH Addict

I just wish they were made somewhere else other than China
Don't be so bloody stupid, most things are made over seas as it's cheaper, cloths, electrical items, you name it.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've been tempted to try the fast 78 setup on my car as I have a true 78mm tb already. With a 383 setup you are probably better to go ahead with the 90/90 setup though as one of the main reasons I was considering the 78 is that I was worried about losing some low end with the 90/90 on a stock ci motor.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:54 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Don't be so bloody stupid, most things are made over seas as it's cheaper, cloths, electrical items, you name it.
That's a pretty brash statement, although I've come to expect that from you. And thanks for stating the obvious. If you'd like to rephrase the above quote so that you don't come off sounding like an arrogant, pompous, corn-cob stuffed up your *** Brit, I might pay attention to you in the future. And I think you meant clothes, not cloths.

Old 10-17-2006, 04:08 PM
Staging Lane

That's a pretty brash statement, although I've come to expect that from you. And thanks for stating the obvious. If you'd like to rephrase the above quote so that you don't come off sounding like an arrogant, pompous, corn-cob stuffed up your *** Brit, I might pay attention to you in the future. And I think you meant clothes, not cloths.

Wow these are some of the gayest comments I've ever heard. It is true that most of everything comes from overseas. I'm American but I'm smart enough to know that. I also know that BOTH clothes and cloths come from overseas, just not one of the other. ha ha ha ha ha. I don't know where the british comments came from unless someone just really hates british people. Good thing he wasn't french. ha ha ha I really think we should continue this "discussion" as it is providing much entertainment for me. In all honesty I don't really care what anybody thinks about products from China I'm just pointing out the stupidity that was caused here....and yes I'm adding to it. (Its fun. lol)

Anyway I would like to throw my two cents into the real thread here. I'm putting my money on the PP Typhoon intake. According to the thread I read about it and the dyno results it looks like it gives a nice gain over the LS6 intake. In reality the LS6 intake is a very nice piece and makes a nice amount of power over the stock intake. There are so many opinions out there and they are all conflicting but I do believe that both the FAST and Performance Products intake make more power then the LS6 but the question is how much. If they do make more power it will be a small gain, but for the $500 difference between teh two manifold (or whatever it is) I would go with the Typhoon. I will be more then happy to loose 5hp and save $500. My opinion is, I think the only people that need to get every ounce of power out of their engines are people who competitively race their cars in classes that have restrictions so they are forced to use the best products available. And in reality they further modify them to get even more power out of everything. Anyway I'm going with the Typhoon on one engine and I already purchased the Edlebrock EFI intake for the other.

Adam
Old 10-17-2006, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by svsgt1
Anyway I would like to throw my two cents into the real thread here. I'm putting my money on the PP Typhoon intake. According to the thread I read about it and the dyno results it looks like it gives a nice gain over the LS6 intake. In reality the LS6 intake is a very nice piece and makes a nice amount of power over the stock intake. There are so many opinions out there and they are all conflicting but I do believe that both the FAST and Performance Products intake make more power then the LS6 but the question is how much. If they do make more power it will be a small gain, but for the $500 difference between teh two manifold (or whatever it is) I would go with the Typhoon. I will be more then happy to loose 5hp and save $500. My opinion is, I think the only people that need to get every ounce of power out of their engines are people who competitively race their cars in classes that have restrictions so they are forced to use the best products available. And in reality they further modify them to get even more power out of everything. Anyway I'm going with the Typhoon on one engine and I already purchased the Edlebrock EFI intake for the other.

Adam
The PP Typhoon hasn't been proven, nor released to the regular public it seems. Heck, I can't even get a straight answer about dyno gains on LS6 vs. FAST 78mm! I really think that I will end up trying a ported 78mm and if it fails miserably, everybody can say "I told you to buy the 90/90!"
Old 10-17-2006, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

This dyno test has TPIS intake and TB versus Fast 78 intake and TPIS TB, versus stock LS6.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/132102-dyno-test-stock-ls6-tpis-ls6-fast.html

P.S. If I were going to spend the money, I'd get the 90/90 over the 78 or TPIS.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a ported FAST/NW 90/90 set up i'll be bolting on in the next couple weekends. I currently have an LS6 Stock TB on the motor. I'll be doing a dyno run B4 and after with tuning and let y'all know what I find.

Old 10-18-2006, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Louie83
This dyno test has TPIS intake and TB versus Fast 78 intake and TPIS TB, versus stock LS6.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132102

P.S. If I were going to spend the money, I'd get the 90/90 over the 78 or TPIS.
That thread just clouds the issue even more. If I spent $1300 for a ported 90/90 set-up and got 12rwhp and LOST mid-range, I'd be pissed! I have a ton of mid with the extra stroke, but still...