Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

painted headers better than coated!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 07:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default painted headers better than coated!!

sup guys, hey i found this pretty interesting. i talked to chuck from hpe about headers and all. he mentioned something that he noticed that regular headers without the coating is far better than the coated ones. he mentioned that he had to pull timing, and other stuff from the coated ones. i cant remember exact words. but im sure chuck knows what hes talking about. also mentioned that the coated ones increases chances of detonation.. just wanted to share this with you guys.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:47 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what in the hell are you talking about. Pulling timin becasue the headers were coated ? and coated headers casue detonation? What are you smoking and where can i get some. If you do not get coated headers they will rust and you will find some good size holes in them. unless of course you car goes on and off a trailor and never see any thing but a sunny track. The above however i find simply to far fetched and hard to believe.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

like i said. it was mentioned by chuck at hpe.. thats why im posting this. theres more to it. i couldnt remember half of the whole logic behind it.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

he explained it more on somewhere on a thread on corvetteforum.com i think.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

trust me dude..i was pretty intrigued. remember, check mentioned this to me. hes one of the top notch lsx guys out there. hopefully, he sees this and can chime in. i just wanted to post this. like i said, i couldnt remember half of the whole thing behind it.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:44 AM
TECH Addict

I think chucks lost it. That makes no sense whatsoever. I would have to see some pretty hard evidence to believe that. Unless he took painted ones, tuned it. Then coated them and tuned it again then i dont believe it.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

trust me, i was surprised. but like i said chucks one of the best lsx tuners around. he knows his stuff. i cant remember half of the stuff that was mentioned. he mentioned yes the coating protects the heat and stuff. but i cant remember much more. it was really informative. ill try and post it later guys.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 11-15-2006, 12:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
trust me.
why??
Old 11-15-2006, 12:18 PM
Banned

Willem @ Fuel Injection Concepts's Avatar

it may be because of some coated headers retaining heat more and keeping the exhaust valve super hot, that would cause detonation
Old 11-15-2006, 12:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

he posted it somewhere on corvetteforums. man, like i said, i asked about headers, and he mentioned this to me. i think this is something he noticed probably while tuning cars. cuz i know obviously its better to go with coated over regular painted headers. he mentioned heat, timing, detonation and other stuff. and this is not trying to make chuck luck bad. it tripped me out. hopefully he sees this thread and chimes in. but ill try to put copy that whole logic he was talking bout on here.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:16 PM
Has Unresolved Sales In Feedback/12 second club

I want some of that whacky **** he's smoking!
Old 11-15-2006, 05:02 PM
TECH Regular

I just find it hard to believe. For one there are so many of us with coated headers I would think by now if this was even some what factual, then one of us would have had this “detonation” happen don’t you think? I feel that’s a logica question and a good way to look at it. Also To this day I have not seen or heard a story about some ones car spitting parts out the underside because they bought the coated headers rather than the painted ones or uncoated ones. Now I am no expert, I am not a tuner, and I am also not a motor tech. However mechanically it is to far fetched. That’s kind of like saying because my fuel pump is outside the tank I need to run a paper air filter not the K&N. Now maybe that analogy is a little far out however if you say this is true then please enlighten us.

In addition, I would like to apologize if I was offensive before or now we are all on the same team at the end of the day.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb

COATED is better than Painted.............PERIOD.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

HERE YA GO!! HERES THE WHOLE LOGIC..

This is just my experience from what I've seen in making headers. Another thing we could go into is coatings, and how much I dislike them on headers Ceramic coated headers always seem to cause detonation. Why? Well everybody jumps on this bandwagon of wanting to keep underhood temps down. Which is great, I love it, whatever you can do to keep underhood temps down is going to help make the motor produce more power. But what we're doing by ceramic coating the headers is we are locking that heat inside the exhaust... Not allowing it to dissipate... This heat now acts as an agent in producing detonation. Almost every car I've ever tuned that had ceramic coated headers, was not able to take as much ignition timing as a car with uncoated stainless steel headers. So the power was greatly reduced because instead of tuning for all out power, I had to tune for detonation. Extra fuel, and less timing... Things that have a great effect on what kinds numbers your car will put down on the dyno, and at the track.

Chuck @ HPE
281-448-1300
Old 11-15-2006, 06:24 PM
TECH Regular

well chuck it sounds like you have had a lot of expereance. I think we can agree to disagree on this one idk about every one else. I just am having a hard time beleving im going to loose alot of power with coated ones
Old 11-15-2006, 06:29 PM
TECH Resident

i have to disagree. wrapped headers for turbo cars... help out.

even the smartest of us can still fall, some just don't fall often. we are human, we have tendencies, we make **** up, etc, etc ,etc. I just don't believe it.

if you want to keep under hood temps down , make a vent like on my website; add a lower thermostat, or get a electric pump,, etc

how many ways can you skin a cat?
Old 11-15-2006, 08:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
how many ways can you skin a cat?
well you can get a knife and hang the cat up by his hind legs and start down.....wait.....i'd better not go into this on here.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think hes full of ****
Old 11-15-2006, 09:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

well now wait. the orignal poster said painted>coated. well the convo he posted between that guy and him suggested stainless steel>coated. which i beleive because coated headers would hold in more heat, as well would wrapped headers. however, wrapped headers on turbo setups are there for a reason, turbo setups produce tremendous amounts of heat especially in the header and downpipe between the collecter and turbo. which is why they are wrapped to keep that heat in and not out on the fuel lines and other rubber **** under the hood that could potentially perish when exposed to the extreme heat of a turbo header. otherwise SS headers wouldnt be so much more expensive compared to coated headers. they would be around the same price.