Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

California exaust set up?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default California exaust set up?

anyone here have a legal set up that i can steal? as far as long tube headers and true duals? any guidance dealing with the restrictions in california would be appreciated.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Longtubes are illegal....they move the cats from stock location. So if you want LT's you will have to go illegal. If you want to be legal you can get shorties with a carb number.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at my build up "BitViper Build Up" thread....is not on my car yet..but I know people who are running it Legally in CA

The thing in Cali is that you cant do anything that moves the cats from their stock position....and if you read the law you need to show proof why they were removed whenever they are replaced
Old 12-18-2006, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Shorties are a waste of money. Im running LT's with cats and heads/cam and the car blows clean numbers. You just need to slip the Tech a little something extra to look the other way on the visual inspection. Also you dont need to have a smog cert for the first 6 years from your car's production year. So if you have an 02 you can put LT's on and not worry about it till 2008.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Goodrich
Also you dont need to have a smog cert for the first 6 years from your car's production year. So if you have an 02 you can put LT's on and not worry about it till 2008.
Since when? My car has been smogged every two years since it was built.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Since when? My car has been smogged every two years since it was built.
So thats why I havent gotten a smog request!..
Old 12-19-2006, 08:42 AM
Banned

I had a pretty good theoretically legal CA setup, I ran JBA shorties (which have a CARB number) into Magnaflow high flow cats into Bassani True Dual exhaust. I had intake mods as well (ported ls6 intake, CAI, ASP pulley) and put down 344 rwhp and 350 rwtq.

You will probably pass with this setup, because you have cats and they are in the stock location, plus you have CARB legal headers. I don't know about the dual exhaust though but unless you are at a referee station (maybe not even then) they aren't going to notice it.

Also most techs will not notice if you remove EGR and AIR....those are very small minor items that you have to be totally familiar with the car to even know they exist...even then I doubt you will get stopped for that in CA (definately not anywhere else).
Old 12-19-2006, 08:53 AM
TECH Addict

I dont think that a dual exaust is aginst any law....but I know moving the cats..or any of the emmissions stuff will get you dinged....
Old 12-21-2006, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

well thanks for the info, even though its not what i wanted to hear ! would shorties even be worth it? i know their crap compared to LT's but better than stock?
Old 12-21-2006, 04:54 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Originally Posted by lsx24
I had a pretty good theoretically legal CA setup, I ran JBA shorties (which have a CARB number) into Magnaflow high flow cats into Bassani True Dual exhaust. I had intake mods as well (ported ls6 intake, CAI, ASP pulley) and put down 344 rwhp and 350 rwtq.

You will probably pass with this setup, because you have cats and they are in the stock location, plus you have CARB legal headers. I don't know about the dual exhaust though but unless you are at a referee station (maybe not even then) they aren't going to notice it.

Also most techs will not notice if you remove EGR and AIR....those are very small minor items that you have to be totally familiar with the car to even know they exist...even then I doubt you will get stopped for that in CA (definately not anywhere else).
I have a similar setup. JBA shorty's into Magnaflow cats into custom duals.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think you can do pretty much anything you want after the cats. But I'm pretty sure duals are illegal, something about the exhaust having to exit the rear of the car or something. I think shorties are a huge improvement over stock. If you have seen the inside of the stock ones you'd understand. They may not may as much power as LT's, but they are an improvement.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

California must suck
Old 12-21-2006, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ZMONSTER!
well thanks for the info, even though its not what i wanted to hear ! would shorties even be worth it? i know their crap compared to LT's but better than stock?
Im going with shorties..yes they do flow better than stock...no you wont get a huge boost (funny the GTO guys are all raving about big increases but the fbody people arent..intresting) ...dont buy new...too expecsive JBA's are like 600 bucks Pacesetters ar a bit less 400 i believe..check for used ones..I just bought a set for $225 and know someone whos sellig a set right now for about the same
Old 12-21-2006, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The letter of the law in ca says that you cannot alter the exhaust at all. There was a thread a while back in the western section about this and lots of discusion about this and a few police officers chimed in and they were saying that you cannot alter the exaust after the cats either. (Do they check usually no) but if they send you to a reff then they might fail you if you have td's because they dont look stock. With the cat back systems that are out there they at least use the same mounting points and resemble stock exhaust so i dont think they mind so much. But bottom line is if they choose to follow by the letter of the law then almost every mod to your car is illegal.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Brian2006
California must suck
California is GREAT!!

I have LT's and ORY waiting for install
Old 12-21-2006, 08:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

California must suck
Yeah, but playing beach football with the bro's in mid December in 75 degree sunny weather doesn't.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

California must suck
....ya tell me about it....
Old 12-21-2006, 10:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Long Beach
The letter of the law in ca says that you cannot alter the exhaust at all. ....a few police officers chimed in and they were saying that you cannot alter the exaust after the cats either. ....With the cat back systems that are out there they at least use the same mounting points and resemble stock exhaust so i dont think they mind so much. .....
Not to co-opt the thread..but then how do Mustangs pass..they run TD's stock..or is it that you cant change the stock exaust congiguration?
Old 12-21-2006, 11:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes the mustangs come with a dual exhaust from the factory so thats why they get away with it. Our cars dont and when the tech is looking at the car he has a diagram of what the exhaust should look like. Like i said before will they care, probably not as long as you have cats and stock manifolds etc... There have been a couple people that wen to the refs and passed with an aftermarket exahust. I dont know if they had td's on or just a simple system like magnaflow, or hooker.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Damm, I Never Knew Any Of This..... But Where I Live At, Cops Dont Really Give A ****, Aslong As Your Not Selling Drugs Or ANything Or Acting Stupid Like Drunk And Burning Rubber On A Saturday NIght, Then Your Straight